MDI on 2010MY Scirocco

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
roydburn
In: Opal Silver
With a: DSG box

MDI on 2010MY Scirocco

Post by roydburn »

Unless I'm very much mistaken, the MDI for iPod was an option on the 2009 model year. I see now that it is standard on all models.

When I ordered my new 2.0 GT (July 09) I included a CD changer as, bizarrely enough, it actually brought the lease cost down (this is a company car). Will the MDI still be supplied and functioning even though a CD changer is fitted in the armrest? The VW website doesn't make this clear. Thanks.
danielhaynes
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Roof, Fiscon Pro, Bluefin, Custom LED Sidelights, VAGCOM

Re: MDI on 2010MY Scirocco

Post by danielhaynes »

If its a uk spec car you already have a 6 disc CD changer built in with the RCD-510...

The Cd changer does take the place of the MDI and although it IS in the UK brochure I couldn't imagine why anyone would ever have it when there is already a 6 disc changer built into the dash.

If you are not from the UK and don't have the RCD-510 or sat nav then yes I would understand, however would also take the place of the MDI
Recce
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Salsa Red
Options: Black Vienna leather seats, Interlagos, DAB Radio, Rear parking sensor

Post by Recce »

The iPod and USB to MDI cables were standard on the MY09 models, although dealers seem to want to give you one or the other. Guess they want to put the other in the parts bin. :grumpy:

But if you get the CD changer in the armrest, it will replace the MDI socket. The price list and brochure say "armrest-mounted 6 CD autochanger, in lieu of MDI (Multi Device Interface)". As you won't have the socket, I doubt you will get the cables.

_jon got a 'rocco with CD changer and was in the same situation http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... =13&t=2489
roydburn

Post by roydburn »

Sorry, to clarify - I upgraded to the DVD Navigation. I will be pretty frustrated if I find that I have sacrificed the MDI just for the CD changer- I never listen to CDs but I do love listening to the iPod in the car. Is it possible to remove the changer and retrofit the MDI after delivery?
Evil Derboy
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
Options: Leather • Nav

Post by Evil Derboy »

Last edited by Evil Derboy on Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Recce
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Salsa Red
Options: Black Vienna leather seats, Interlagos, DAB Radio, Rear parking sensor

Post by Recce »

roydburn wrote:Sorry, to clarify - I upgraded to the DVD Navigation. I will be pretty frustrated if I find that I have sacrificed the MDI just for the CD changer- I never listen to CDs but I do love listening to the iPod in the car. Is it possible to remove the changer and retrofit the MDI after delivery?
Yeah, I think you're sacrificed MDI for the changer, and paid £215 for the privilage :cry:
No idea how expenisve or difficult to change after delivery :shrug:
Has your 'rocco gone into production yet? Is it too late to change the spec to SatNav sans CD?
roydburn

Post by roydburn »

My car is being built in early November, not sure which week. I believe it has been given a build slot but my lease company haven't given me the detail. Do you think I'd be able to cancel the CD changer? The only reason I specified it in the first place was because it actually brought back a lower lease cost than a car without the changer. Weird. However I'd happily pay the higher price to ensure I get the MDI.
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

you shouldn't have any impact changing it at this point, if in doubt speak to the company you are dealing with. it is such a minor change as well.
danielhaynes
Options: Panoramic Roof, Fiscon Pro, Bluefin, Custom LED Sidelights, VAGCOM

Post by danielhaynes »

Definatly get it changed.. MDI is the BEST thing about the in built system. I have not used the cd player at all as the ipod integration is so good.
ayeaye
Options: Candy White Scirocco - August 2009 - March 2013
Now replaced with a MINI Cooper S

Post by ayeaye »

danielhaynes wrote:Definatly get it changed.. MDI is the BEST thing about the in built system. I have not used the cd player at all as the ipod integration is so good.
+1

I wasn't expecting the interface to be anywhere near as good as it is - picks up everything from the iPod and you can search by the same things you can on the iPod. And it's very fast.
ReubenGT
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
Options: Truffle Leather, DVD SatNav with Dynaudio, Panoramic Sunroof, Parking Sensors, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Floor Mats

PLUS

Fiscon Bluetooth & Racingline Short Shift Kit

Post by ReubenGT »

Hey all,

I've specced the satnav with dynaudio option so it has the 30GB HD built in. Do I still get the MDI for ipod with it???

Cheers all
iAmbu
Options: Factory fit: Black Vienna leather, Dynaudio, 19" Lugano alloys

Retro-fitted: H&R springs, REVO Stage 1, OEM VW parking sensors with OPS, RNS-510 sat nav, Video In Motion, FISCON Basic Plus Bluetooth, TPMS

Post by iAmbu »

ReubenGT wrote:Hey all,

I've specced the satnav with dynaudio option so it has the 30GB HD built in. Do I still get the MDI for ipod with it???

Cheers all
Yep :yes:
iAmbu
2.0 TDi (170) - revo - STAGE 1
ReubenGT
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
Options: Truffle Leather, DVD SatNav with Dynaudio, Panoramic Sunroof, Parking Sensors, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Floor Mats

PLUS

Fiscon Bluetooth & Racingline Short Shift Kit

Post by ReubenGT »

yippee! :clap:
_jon
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Viper Green
Options: DVD nav
6cd changer
Pan Roof
bi-xenon heads
parking sensors
leather
Dynaudio
Floor Mats

Post by _jon »

I spoke to http://www.oemretrofits.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; about this situation. he said this:-
The MDI retrofit kits we buy in are genuine VW kits but they are designed to have a cable in the glove box as opposed to the dedicated tray in the centre armrest. I'll try and get you a price for the centre armrest version and get back to you.

I've just come off the phone from a supplier with regards to the armrest kit and tells me that the new version that they are stocking will allow integration of BOTH the CD changer AND the MDI kit!!! Now, I'll be honest, I'll believe when I see it! I'm just waiting for him to call me back to confirm, but of course, it means that it's pointless having the amrest changer version as you'll need that space for the CD changer in that case and would instead have to have the lead in the glove box.

I'll let you know as I hear anything more.
Hope this helps.