Sat-Nav all but the last two postcodes.

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
H1 OLA

Sat-Nav all but the last two postcodes.

Post by H1 OLA »

How can the sat-nav find differnet addresses within an area if you can not enter the last two letters/digits for a postcode. Or are there different ways of entering addresses into the system?
JaseW
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Vienna Leather, Nav, Parking, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Winter Pack, Premium Sills & Mats, Alloy Pedals, GT Wheel Badge, Piano Inserts, de-badge, Full Milltek inc sports cat, Forge DV, Forge Twintercooler, Forge Uprated Pipes, H&R 35mm drop, RS-Tuning Custom map (286bhp)

Re: Sat-Nav all but the last two postcodes.

Post by JaseW »

Nope, the Nav can only do 4 digit postcodes. It is a bit poor to say that TomTom units and many other portables can, which cost a fraction of the price compared to an RNS-510
I luv Roc!
ayeaye
Options: Candy White Scirocco - August 2009 - March 2013
Now replaced with a MINI Cooper S

Post by ayeaye »

So how does it work?

I assumed that you entered the digits (e.g. AB12) and it would bring up a list of streets available in that postcode area for you then to select - which seems a bit cumbersome when some postcode areas can be huge.
drnick
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: leather, Nav, Park sensors

Post by drnick »

you stick the first 4 characters in and then it comes up with a list of the streets in that postcode, there are usually only a few to choose from.
hama
In: Rising Blue

Post by hama »

This feature is becoming quite cumbersome for me. Basically, you need to know the whole address as you'll need to choose from a list of streets and street numbers even after you've entered in the first four digits of the postcode.

This becomes problematic if your destination is a business with a "house name" rather than a street address, basically you're then buggered unless you can find your destination further by choosing from the map.
H1 OLA

Post by H1 OLA »

okay, thanks guys for some very useful info. the last post about house names could be a big problem! I think i'll keep my tom tom in the car just in case!
pat15312
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
Options: Gloss black 19" RS4s; GT Spec; Leather; RNS510 & Dynaudio; rSAP; Alloy pedals & sills; Gloss black plastics; Revo Select+; H&R 35mm springs & 10mm spacers; Forge FMIC, Intake, BOV, Quickshift; Milltek T/back, Sports cat & Downpipe.

Post by pat15312 »

H1 OLA wrote:okay, thanks guys for some very useful info. the last post about house names could be a big problem! I think i'll keep my tom tom in the car just in case!
thats awful... you really shouldn't have to do this...
i can't believe that VW can't sought this glaringly obvious fault out...
its not like VW satnav is any cheaper than a tom tom!!!
222bhp & 340Nm