2.0 GT 170bps TDI DSG

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
away days
In: Sumatra
With a: DSG box
Options: winter pack, parking sensors, metallic paint

2.0 GT 170bps TDI DSG

Post by away days »

Ordered the above through the car leasing scheme at work and hopefully fingers crossed it will be arriving mid August. :hyper:

I was just wondering if anyone had one on here the 170bps version as the only model I have test driven was a 140 and I was wondering if there was a noticeable difference in performance? Saying that I loved the 140 so Iam sure I will not be disapointed when it arrives.

Also can anyone confirm whether the TDI badge does come in a different colour for the 170 i.e as in a red "i" or is it plain silver?

Really cant wait until it arrives, I'm like a little lad at Christmas counting down the days!!
maisbitt
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Parking Sensors, Smokers Pack (for aesthetics), R gearstick, R pedals, Sliding cup holder cover.

Re: 2.0 GT 170bps TDI DSG

Post by maisbitt »

Can't tell you whether the 170TDI will have the red "I", but previous Golfs have had this type of designation. As you can get a 140TDI in a GT trim, some would argue that there is something needed on the 170 visually so you can differentiate between a 140 and 170.

I used to have a 170TDI MK5 Golf GT Sport, and it was a car of 2 halves - It had far too much power from take-off, wheelspin was almost unavoidable in the wet when pulling away from a standstill, even with only 1/2 throttle - sometimes it left you wheelspinning on the spot when you've tried to take advantage of a gap on a busy roundabout - very dodgy!

But on the other hand, it makes for some very lazy acceleration - there is no need to drop down from 6th if you're doing more than 60mph and want to overtake something - it's got loads of pull in every gear. I do have to drop down to 4th in the 140CR to do the same thing.

My 140TDI CR engine has a very different power delivery than the PD version of either the 140 or 170 TDIs. The CR unit is much more controlled, with far less initial torque surge and a far more uniform power delivery - more like a petrol engine. I suspect the new 170CR unit is more like that too, which may mean that it won't have more initial torque than the tyre grip can handle (unlike the old PD unit). The new 140CR unit has far less turbo lag than the old PD units, but feels slower than it actually is because there isn't that massive initial torque that I was used to in the PD units.

If you really want to know what the 170CR feels like - try a new TT TDI for a test drive, same engine (although it will feel a little grippier as the TDIs have Quattro as standard).
2013 - Tornado Red MK7 Golf GTD on order
2011-2013 - Rising Blue 170GT
2009-2011 - Pewter Roc 140GT
2007-2009 - Tornado Red Golf 170TDI GT
2005-2007 - Black Pearl Golf 140TDI GT
2003-2005 - Black Pearl Polo 1.9TDI
davey
In: Candy White
Options: Cruise, Mirrors, DAB

Post by davey »

I was also wondering if anyone had taken delivery of their 170 yet. Mine is on order, being built this week.

...and also how do you tell if you have actually been given a 170 when it is delivered, instead of a 140?
away days

Post by away days »

davey wrote:I was also wondering if anyone had taken delivery of their 170 yet. Mine is on order, being built this week.

...and also how do you tell if you have actually been given a 170 when it is delivered, instead of a 140?
I think thats a very good question imo. If there is no difference in the badge colour or any other details, a dummy like me would be tootling around totally oblivious in a 140. :(
BlackRoc
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
Options: Leather
Sat Nav
Winter Pack
Parking Sensors
Premium Mats (got them free..)
GT Steering wheel badge

Post by BlackRoc »

There is a VW Sticker fitted to the inside pillar of the driver side door, giving the model and deatails of the car (i.e. 200ps in the petrol.) Also, under the boot cover by the spare wheel, a VW manufactureres sticker will denote what model you have too :yes:
No Scirocco now - Just a black '57 Plate Black Jetta!
steve r
In: Pewter Grey
Options: Parking sensors
Cruise control

Post by steve r »

Red i
Twin chrome tailpipes
away days

Post by away days »

[quote="away days"]Ordered the above through the car leasing scheme at work and hopefully fingers crossed it will be arriving mid August. :hyper:

Now been put back until the end of Septmeber. :cry: Got a feeling it is going to keep on slipping.