Scirocco CR170 "Project Racek0r"

The place to share pictures and impressions of your new arrival or just show off your motor.
deano_123
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Reflex Silver
With a: Manual box

Re: Scirocco CR170 "Project Racek0r"

Post by deano_123 »

Spoiler looks awesome

Dd you see an improvement with the induction kit over the standard airbox?
xjay1337
In: Rising Blue
Options: Hybrid VKLR, BSR Ported Head, BSR Valve Springs, BSR CP3, THS IC, Revo /Forge Intake, Oil Cooler, , 3” Eurojet TBE, AKS SS kit, Recaro PP, Schroth 4 point, Rear seat delete, R bumper, CF GT24 Bonnet, VWR Spoiler, OZ 18x9 Et43, DB9 BBK w/ 340mm discs, pMu H16, S3 rear brakes, DNX520VBT, Hertz Audio

Post by xjay1337 »

Hopefully this is the kind of picture you wanted.

Image20160921_143341 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

The back of the end plate is unlaquered, the spoiler itself is.

Regarding the airbox, no real improvement, spool felt a little stronger and it sounds awesome, that was the main reason lol.
click for build thread
Check out Fat Bear Photography
xjay1337
Options: Hybrid VKLR, BSR Ported Head, BSR Valve Springs, BSR CP3, THS IC, Revo /Forge Intake, Oil Cooler, , 3” Eurojet TBE, AKS SS kit, Recaro PP, Schroth 4 point, Rear seat delete, R bumper, CF GT24 Bonnet, VWR Spoiler, OZ 18x9 Et43, DB9 BBK w/ 340mm discs, pMu H16, S3 rear brakes, DNX520VBT, Hertz Audio

Post by xjay1337 »

Image20161006_132845-01 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

:)

Not sure on the michelin man now though...thinking of making taking off the large one on the rear.

Anyway, went to Santa Pod yesterday, had a good day.

Image2016-10-09_07-18-29 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

Set a new PB, 13.6 @ 102.

I'm sure I could get to a 13.4 but I didn't want to break the car and I was happy to finally get into the mid 13s. Had a bit of luck with launching :)
click for build thread
Psycho Kirky
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Salsa Red
Options: MODS-
K&N Typhoon Induction kit
BCS Powervalve custom sport TBE
REVO Stage 2 remap
Airtec Stage 2 Intercooler
Forge diverter/recirculation valve
Sachs Performance clutch
'Heavy Set' silicone hoses
REVO Torque Mount Insert
Various detailing

Post by Psycho Kirky »

xjay1337 wrote:Image20161006_132845-01 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

:)

Not sure on the michelin man now though...thinking of making taking off the large one on the rear.

Anyway, went to Santa Pod yesterday, had a good day.

Image2016-10-09_07-18-29 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

Set a new PB, 13.6 @ 102.

I'm sure I could get to a 13.4 but I didn't want to break the car and I was happy to finally get into the mid 13s. Had a bit of luck with launching :)
Fantastic times down the 1/4 mile!

Sent Via tapatalk
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

just been catching up with this and love this car, this and the Awesome ex VWR rocco are the stand out road cars for me
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
xjay1337

Post by xjay1337 »

wigit wrote:just been catching up with this and love this car, this and the Awesome ex VWR rocco are the stand out road cars for me

thanks bud, appreciate it.
did i hear right you have an m2 now?
how do you find it?
Psycho Kirky wrote: Fantastic times down the 1/4 mile!

Sent Via tapatalk
Cheers bud. Hopefully next april at Springfest we will be touching the high 12s.
click for build thread
wigit

Post by wigit »

xjay1337 wrote: thanks bud, appreciate it.
how do you find it?
Pick it up a week on Saturday, went grey with some carbon bits, first outing will be Goodwood Breakfast Club in a few weeks time

I've got a R Estate for daily duties and when its wet :D
Psycho Kirky
REVO Stage 2 remap
Sachs Performance clutch
REVO Torque Mount Insert
Various detailing

Post by Psycho Kirky »

xjay1337 wrote:
wigit wrote:just been catching up with this and love this car, this and the Awesome ex VWR rocco are the stand out road cars for me

thanks bud, appreciate it.
how do you find it?
Psycho Kirky wrote: Fantastic times down the 1/4 mile!

Sent Via tapatalk
Cheers bud. Hopefully next april at Springfest we will be touching the high 12s.
Is your car manual or DSG?
mine is manual and I struggle to get under 14 seconds, and im running Revo stage 3 (K04) :/

Sent Via tapatalk
kieran_67
In: Reflex Silver
Options: Leather heated interior, panoramic sun roof and folding mirrors, parking sensors, adjustable dampening suspesion

Post by kieran_67 »

Jay's is Manual.
madkanga
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: REVO STAGE 3 With Highline SPS module (to select maps etc)
OWENS K04 HYBRID TURBO
CTS INTAKE
MILTEK TURBO BACK EXHAUST
BREMBO 8-POT WITH 362 AP Racing disc Front set up with R set up on the rear
Revo engine mounts
RS8 Coilpacks
VW sat Nav, gloss black interior
Cup Spoiler

Post by madkanga »

Saw you at the pod! was going to come say Hi then had car issues... sorted herself out though!

I have the white rocco with the martini stripes!
wigit

Post by wigit »

Nice to see this car in the flesh yesterday and out on track, a few pics of it in action

http://christeagles.zenfolio.com/p91808 ... #h3f884b94" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://christeagles.zenfolio.com/p91808 ... #h1a24d9ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://christeagles.zenfolio.com/p91808 ... #h1d2014c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting reading the thread about driving standards, looking at the photos not great especially given the number of red flagged sessions

I think an afternoon session was the order of the day when the PHers had left

Funny the amount of people who have GT4s and cannot drive, more GT4s there than Golf Rs lol
xjay1337

Post by xjay1337 »

Nice to see you mate and thanks!

I agree, I have it on video, the white GT4 literally went underneath me. He wasn't going flat out then again neither was I at the time (cooling oil down :D ) but had I been on a normal racing line it'd have been a very expensive accident.
Hopefully the event at Goodwood, if we are early enough to get track time, will be better.
I think the last Novice session of the day at about 3 people on it when we went back upstairs at 12:30!

I bought a couple of the pics and edited them slightly.

Pics below from Mr Teagles.

ImageCT-14196-(ZF-4963-30979-1-002)-2 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

ImageCT-14062-(ZF-4963-30979-1-001)-1 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

Car behaved itself well.
PS4's were brilliant on the front, stuck well but did feel a bit roly poly.
AD08R were good on the back, back end was dead planted. I think with 245/40 AD08R on the front it will really help.
Currently we are 235/40 F and 245/40 R.

When I ran 245/40 Direzza 03g it was so planted, but they are too expensive for daily use so while I only have 1 set of tyres I think the AD08Rs are a great compromise.

I've moaned about it elsewhere but oil temps are driving me mental.
I am booked in early November with Alex for oil cooler.

Once that's in I should be fine and able to keep on it a lot more.

Also my EGT protection was kicking in a lot, repeated long hard pulls get a bit much for it (understandable really).

i have specified when we port the head we fit oversized valves we are going up 0.8/0.9mm i believe.
Not sure what difference it will make and it's double the price as the valves are around 60EUR each but balls out and all that.
madkanga wrote:Saw you at the pod! was going to come say Hi then had car issues... sorted herself out though!

I have the white rocco with the martini stripes!
I remember seeing you on the strip :)

Shame you had problems but glad they fixed themselves lol
click for build thread
xjay1337

Post by xjay1337 »

Oil cooler update.

Due to track related oil temperature problems I wanted a solution. I had an idea and spoke with Alex @ AKS and we decided to try some stuff.

Darkside Developments sell a kit with a Mocal thermostatic plate but the oil cooler provided was a cheap Chinese one, so that was sent back and Alex sourced a Mocal 13 row cooler and kept the Thermostatic plate.

Image20161110_104249 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

I won't bore everyone with the fitting details but it wasn't exactly "bolt on".

We had to retain OEM oil cooler (OEM is a heat exchanger oil is circulated with coolant) however we had to modify the OEM oil cooler and remove the water feed.

Image20161110_131937 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

Alex welding the brackets to give the right level of support.

Image20161110_151626 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

Final fitted position.

Image20161110_185731 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

We started at 10am and I left the workshop around 8pm. We weren't working on it flat out all day though, but it was a bit fiddly.

We did also fit H&R 28/24 front and rear roll bars. This has really stiffened it up in the corners. Lovely.

Oil temps are much better now. Cruising they get to around 80 and stay there due to thermostatic plate. Even with several hard and long acceleration pulls it barely reached 90 so that's much better. Very happy.
click for build thread
Psycho Kirky
REVO Stage 2 remap
Sachs Performance clutch
REVO Torque Mount Insert
Various detailing

Post by Psycho Kirky »

xjay1337 wrote:Oil cooler update.

Due to track related oil temperature problems I wanted a solution. I had an idea and spoke with Alex @ AKS and we decided to try some stuff.

Darkside Developments sell a kit with a Mocal thermostatic plate but the oil cooler provided was a cheap Chinese one, so that was sent back and Alex sourced a Mocal 13 row cooler and kept the Thermostatic plate.

Image20161110_104249 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

I won't bore everyone with the fitting details but it wasn't exactly "bolt on".

We had to retain OEM oil cooler (OEM is a heat exchanger oil is circulated with coolant) however we had to modify the OEM oil cooler and remove the water feed.

Image20161110_131937 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

Alex welding the brackets to give the right level of support.

Image20161110_151626 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

Final fitted position.

Image20161110_185731 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

We started at 10am and I left the workshop around 8pm. We weren't working on it flat out all day though, but it was a bit fiddly.

We did also fit H&R 28/24 front and rear roll bars. This has really stiffened it up in the corners. Lovely.

Oil temps are much better now. Cruising they get to around 80 and stay there due to thermostatic plate. Even with several hard and long acceleration pulls it barely reached 90 so that's much better. Very happy.
Very nice! Im still yet to fit my oil cooler, i havnt got the time recently :(
I have however got some grille mesh to fit infront of where the cooler will go to help avoid stones damaging it.

Sent Via tapatalk
xjay1337

Post by xjay1337 »

I'm hoping the location will be fine

The cooler itself is quite tough.
Fitting wasnt easy.

Met up with Bobby on Saturday at Surrey Rolling Road
Had a good afternoon chatting to people.

Due to some of the figures coming out of Europe (claiming 270bhp + on stock cp4 pump) we decided to run a test on my car.

We ran a new map, with a dummy EGT sensor (so no EGT protection)
requested lambda 0.9 (another 5-10% more fuel than before)
(normal tune lambda is 1.1-1.2)

Image20161112_121707 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

Even with the extra fuel we were just getting extra smoke. Logs show lambda didn't get below 1.08.

You can see the graph before and after here. The pink (better curves) are the new v25 map and the blue ones were the old v24 map.

Image20161112_122514 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

You can see while we have dumped loads more fuel in, we are now up to over 430 lb ft of torque however power is exactly the same as before, albeit it holds at the top end now (due to EGT protection effectively not working).

Flat power curve is all well and good but further proves no more airflow available.
We are slowly ruling out any mechanical restrictions to downpipe or intake however this further points to prove that airflow through CR170 head is poor.

We thought the OEM lambda probe was faulty or defective as we could not believe the logs so we ran an independant Lambda probe

Image20161112_174952 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

Image20161112_175001 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

ImageIMG-20161112-WA0008 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

Turns out the oem lambda was within range and not telling us lies. We are 100% out of air.

On this particular tune due to excess fuel we were seeing a peak of 2.7bar despite request 2.4

After testing we put v24 tune back on as this tune is not safe for daily use.
click for build thread
xjay1337

Post by xjay1337 »

Driving to the shops. Pedal went to the floot.

I falsely diagnosed it as a duff slave cylinder. As my clutch is a heavy 6 paddle I imagined it was on it's way out anyway.
Infact , and luckily for my bank account, it wasn't anything so dramatic.
A clip which holds ones of the clutch lines in decided to disintegrate. Causing fluid leak and lack of hydraulic pressure.

I could have drove home clutchlessly but not ideal given my journey had lots of traffic lights etc.

Image|http://thumbsnap.com/Nb7aYWSU

Image|http://thumbsnap.com/TqZJAKPq
click for build thread
xjay1337

Post by xjay1337 »

Gave the car it's yearly wash and decontamination.

ImageIMG_4136-3 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

Just a gentle polish, combination of Scholl S20 Black and Megs 205 on a mediumy pad (Green Hexlogic if you're interested).

ImageIMG_4142-6 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

Coated with Gtechniq Crystal Serum light which was a breeze to be honest.

ImageIMG_4153-15 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

Thanks to Elite Car Care for the use of the unit :-)

I have a trackday on Friday at Bedford SEN. See how we stand with the oil cooler and suspension tweaks. (the H&R Rollbars and also fitted an UltraRacing underbody brace.

After that I am collecting a Blue Needle cluster. (mine has Red needles. Blue came on some R-Line models)
And also getting a braided clutch line done at AKS cos it's 5 minutes away, which completely removes the risk of having the OEM line and connections fail.
Annoyingly when we did the oil cooler we were going to do one but ran out of time.

I have sourced some additional parts as well with the help of Bobby, to help with power. My cylinder head is back with us now and the turbo is ready.

I have headbolts, just need a head rebuild kit with all the gaskets etc and some pipework and then the tear down will begin.
click for build thread
xjay1337

Post by xjay1337 »

Did my first trackday of the year.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(Footage from my first session at my first time at Bedford, I got a lot better but didn't take footage, I will explain).

I wanted to test out my oil cooler. It worked. I could go for about 6 or 7 flat out laps which is about 15 minutes, which is about as long as I do in any one sitting anyway.

Unfortunately, the car had other ideas.

Image20170120_144416 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

The car decided to overheat, luckily caught it before it was too severe, and dump it's coolant onto the track / pits.
Despite this, there was no obvious leak. There was a shit ton of water around the reservoir, but it was also all over the engine bay, so no obvious point of egress.
I topped it up, bled it, seemed ok for the next session.
Then my third session, it did it again. So I stopped.

I went to AKS Tuning after, we fitted a braided clutch line.

Image20170120_163016 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

Didn't really do much, slightly more feel which is good, but the main point is it eliminates the failure parts of the OEM clutch pipe.

We tried to find the water leak, but Alex nor I could see any obvious point of egress. Very annoying.

Image20170120_162300 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

After further investigation, and an 80 mile drive today, it seems fine.
I suspect a couple of things may have happened.

1) Cylinder head lift (typical on big turbo TDI's).
Oem bolts are 10.9 tensile strength, at high boost and high heat situations you lift the head off the block which allows exhaust gasses into the cooling circuit , pressurising it.

2) A weak/failing O-ring on the coolant temperature sensor.
This seems to have some amounts of coolant on the pipe past it. We think this is the only obvious point of failure as there are no splits or leaks in the system . The o-ring / CTS will be replaced when we re-build the head.
I did go to see Bobby, my tuner, today as he needed to test a known-working Lambda sensor on another car he was tuning, while I was there, we pressure tested the cooling system and there was no leaks. The pressure tester was not 100% but we got to about 17psi and nothing was coming out with engine off or running.

I've parked that issue for now and just avoid extended high speed driving.

I also fitted a new dash cluster. As I had wanted blue needles for a long time and finally got around to getting them done.

Here is my OEM cluster.

Image20170120_055218 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

and here's the replacement, it's from a Golf Mk6 GTD, but the needles were swapped and the SMD's on the dash cluster themselves were replaced to give the correct OEM blue type needles.

Image20170122_163922 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

Image20170122_163944 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

So not all bad news.

That's it for now. :)
click for build thread
xjay1337

Post by xjay1337 »

Couple of pics from the trackday.

Image32503975545_f3e023878d_o-4 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

Image32382744411_59233619b0_o-1 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr
click for build thread
Technane
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Deep Black

Post by Technane »

Nice as always!, quick Q,

as i just spotted it in your clocks pic, with the Kenwood upgrade that I can see there Trey nice, can you locate the mic into the headliner where its supposed to be? I expect you could adapt the cabling off the original factory one?