GTI VS ROC

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
gossa
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
With a: DSG box
Options: Scirocco's gone, MKVI GTI is replacement.

GTI VS ROC

Post by gossa »

OK, the rocco has to go, two kids already but another on the way!

I just test drove a new MK6 GTI and I gotta be honest, it doesn't feel anywhere near as quick as the roc, I mean seriously not as quick or punchy. I drove a DSG and mine is also a DSG, it was a 5 door, is there a massive weight difference or something?

I'm going to have a longer drive in it again to see, has anyone else compared?

Cheers
mark_mcd

Re: GTI VS ROC

Post by mark_mcd »

Had a sit in the new GTI and was not that impressed - just dosen't feel like it justifys the price. Scriocco felt much more of an occasion and seems a bargain in comparison. Seriously, if you need the space I would be having a look at a Skoda Octavia vRS... My dad's one felt every bit as quick as the Scriocco and it is just as well built. Fairly sure they now come with DSG too if you want. Food for thought.

To be fair though the GTI should have pretty much the same performance as the Scriocco. Perhaps engine was not fully 'bedded in'?
jonallen628
I drive a: Scirocco R
Options: Black Vienna Leather, 19" Talladegas, RNS-510, 6CD, Dynaudio, Rear Parking Sensors, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Electric Drivers Seat.

Post by jonallen628 »

GTi is 20 kg heavier than 2.0 TSI Roc which is pretty insignificant. I think the way the two engines deliver the power is said to be quite different, i have not seen the two power curves overlaid but this could be where the difference in perceived feel is coming from.
08/11 - 12/13 2.0 TSI R DSG, Black / Black Vienna
01/09 - 08/11 2.0 TSI GT DSG, Black / Truffle Vienna

Black is the new Black....
Crafty
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Parking sensors, black leather, sat/nav, blue fin

Post by Crafty »

Space and pace value for money-Vrs
Rising Blue 2L petrol, SatNav, Rear sensors, black leather, mats, de-badged, Bluefin, smokers pack, covered drinks holder, pipercoss filter,Neuspeed torque arm insert, smoked back lights, vag-com
md_halifax
Options: rev sensors, dynaudio, debadged

Post by md_halifax »

I've not driven it but I think the GTI looks superb in black with the optional monza shadow wheels. Easy on the options though, the one in my dealer has leather, nav, DSG and a few other bits and the list is over £30k
tartangti
Options: Anthracite Vienna Leather, Rear Parking Sensors, Electric Folding Mirrors, Flat Tyre Indicator, Smokers Pack!

Post by tartangti »

md_halifax wrote:I've not driven it but I think the GTI looks superb in black with the optional monza shadow wheels. Easy on the options though, the one in my dealer has leather, nav, DSG and a few other bits and the list is over £30k
The price is what would really put me off one if I had to sell to Roc to buy a 5-door hatchback. Even being fairly frugal when specc'ing it (18"s,RCD510, Metallic paint and 5-doors) it's still nearly £25k! Way too much for a 200bhp FWD hot hatch when you look at what else you can get for that kind of money. Heck, it's not much more for an Audi S3 or a Subaru Impreza STi !

Will probably go down to the dealer for a look when it arrives but on paper it certianly wont tempt me to part with the Scirocco!

To be honest if I was in the position of the guy above and needed a 5-door hatch I think I'd keep the Scirocco and buy an older/cheaper 5-door hatch for £5-10k to use as the family transport. Or at least I'd try and convince the missus to go down that route :D
Evil Derboy
Options: Leather • Nav

Post by Evil Derboy »

Last edited by Evil Derboy on Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
KEVINVW
In: Pewter Grey
Options: Winter Pack, Cruise Control, Dynamic Audio, Flat Tyre Indicator & Folding Mirrors (Yes with Mirror Down Option!)

Post by KEVINVW »

i have just swapped a MK5 Golf GTi for the ROC and the value for money between the Scirocco and the new MK6 is staggering and one of the reasons i switched. Plus if you look at the Mk6 what's changed from the MK5 ! When i picked my Scirocco up there was a Mk6 behind it and frankly i could hardly tell. If they are going to put out a new version you expect some major change in styling, to me that's a big selling point for the Scirocco. As for performance i have not driven the MK6 but the Scirocco certainly seams to have more punch thatn the MK5 and am only at 700 miles so not really open her up yet.
gossa

Post by gossa »

Evil Derboy wrote:I really don't understand why people are even comparing the two or why anyone who go from a 2.0TSI Roc to a Golf GTi. It baffles me.
Why? Because I won't be able to get THREE kids in the back of the Scirocco and as my misses will be driving it she doesn't particularly want to struggle trying to get a baby seat in the back of the Roc'. Why would people compare the two? Because if I like my roc but need more space and a 5 dr then the GTI is the logical choice. Why is that baffling?

Anyway, drove the GTI again today and on the right roads it feels quicker than before and I think the reason it didn't feel as quick is that it seems heavily soundproofed, you don't get the same sensation of speed or noise from the DSG etc.

Now the good news, I've been offered £19.5K back for the roc against a GTI which means in 11000 miles i've lost about £1500. I know thats against the list price of the car but you can't seem to get massive deals on them. I thought I was going to get pasted on the PX, was very happy with the offers so far but am still shopping around.
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

Evil Derboy wrote:I really don't understand why people are even comparing the two or why anyone who go from a 2.0TSI Roc to a Golf GTi. It baffles me.
if i was buying my GT now it would be having an I added to the badge, think it boils down to the looks/performance reason whay you bought the car, to me the mk6 in the flesh looks a far more quality product, whereas GTI ownership has exceeded my expectations, scirocco ownership has merely met them

not driven one Gossa but i reckon don't go mad on the options and don't tick the ACC box and you'll have a classy car for me white, red and silver look the best colour options
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
gossa

Post by gossa »

wigit wrote:
if i was buying my GT now it would be having an I added to the badge, think it boils down to the looks/performance reason whay you bought the car, to me the mk6 in the flesh looks a far more quality product, whereas GTI ownership has exceeded my expectations, scirocco ownership has merely met them

not driven one Gossa but i reckon don't go mad on the options and don't tick the ACC box and you'll have a classy car for me white, red and silver look the best colour options
I have to be honest as a drivers car the Scirocco has a significant edge over the GTI but I actually prefer the looks of the Golf (doesn't look like it needs lowering for example unlike the roc) and some other elements too but the roc is fantastic value in comparison to the golf where plenty of standard kit is chargable on the golf. Anyway horses for courses, if I didn't need the extra seat and doors then I wouldn't be trading but I do.

Like I said though, good news for all of us, strong residuals seem to be offered on the roc.
scirocco
In: Candy White
Options: Scirocco number two ordered November 3rd 2010 (build week 5), Delivered April 2011
Cruise Control, Premium mats, Mudflaps...

Post by scirocco »

How old is your Scirocco?
gossa

Post by gossa »

scirocco wrote:How old is your Scirocco?
Mine was registered August 08, one of the few on an 08 plate. It was about £25K list, I bought it for £21K with 800 miles on the clock, it's now done 11800.
jonallen628
Options: Black Vienna Leather, 19" Talladegas, RNS-510, 6CD, Dynaudio, Rear Parking Sensors, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Electric Drivers Seat.

Post by jonallen628 »

Broadspeed are doing some big discounts on the GTI already, although it is still well overpriced.

gossa

Post by gossa »

jonallen628 wrote:Broadspeed are doing some big discounts on the GTI already, although it is still well overpriced.
Well i'm down to the negotiating, dealer says my car books at £19K and in the current climate he should be offering less, I told him in the current climate I shouldn't be thinking of paying anywhere near list price for a car! Spoken to two dealers today who said they wouldn't knock a penny off the new GTI, I told them i'd go elsewhere and they said fine. I know that the scrappage scheme has given business a boost but there's a tidy few grand to make on this deal, i'm amazed that the resistance is there but someone will get the business and the profit.

Agree on the price, MK6 GTI seems pricey but it ticks all the boxes for me.
maisbitt
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Parking Sensors, Smokers Pack (for aesthetics), R gearstick, R pedals, Sliding cup holder cover.

Post by maisbitt »

"the current climate" seems a pile of sh1te excuse. Everyone knows that quality used car prices are on the up. People are holding onto their cars in these tight times, so supply and demand kicks in. Fewer desireable nearly new cars around are pushing used prices up.

I don't think you've done badly to get £19K for almost a years worth of driving though - how may £21000 car owners can say they've only had £2k depreciation in a year, and the first year at that (the first is the worst for depreciation).
2013 - Tornado Red MK7 Golf GTD on order
2011-2013 - Rising Blue 170GT
2009-2011 - Pewter Roc 140GT
2007-2009 - Tornado Red Golf 170TDI GT
2005-2007 - Black Pearl Golf 140TDI GT
2003-2005 - Black Pearl Polo 1.9TDI
jonallen628

Post by jonallen628 »

My dealer had the same attitude when i ordered my roc, not offering any discounts. So i ordered via broadspeed and paid £24000 for a Scirocco that would cost £27000 at current dealer prices. A Gti with the same spec would be another £3000 on top of that. For anybody who is considering the switch i have put some typical prices below:

List Broadspeed (incl fee) Orange Wheels Broker4cars Autobytel

Golf MK6 Gti 3 door Manual £22415 £20573 £21759 £21330 £22415
Golf MK6 Gti 5 door Manual £23000 £21099 £22326 £21866 £23000
Golf MK6 Gti 3 door DSG £23720 £21787 £23025 £22570 £23720
Golf MK6 Gti 5 door DSG £24305 £22274 £23592 £23125 £24305

I ordered my Roc from Broadspeed and collected it from a VW dealer, why go direct to your local dealer and pay an extra £2000?

Evil Derboy
Options: Leather • Nav

Post by Evil Derboy »

Last edited by Evil Derboy on Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
gossa

Post by gossa »

What I mean is why would anyone look at the Golf GTI over the Scirocco other than as a compromise? There seems to be a growing number of people who see the GTI as the more desireable car and I can't get my head around that. I can't see what actual appeal (other than that of precticality) the Golf GTI has over the Scirocco at all. It's not as well equipped, is more expensive and is basically still a Golf. Whether you're driving a Golf 1.6 or a Golf GTI, you're still driving a Golf. Whereas the Scirocco sits in a category all in it's own.[/quote]

Well wouldn't it all be a dull place if everyone liked the same things eh? I did the deal today on the GTI, arrives from Germany in two weeks. Personally I prefer the look of the Golf and I now NEED the practicality of it. The Scirocco is definitely a more thrilling drive, like a go kart but that just makes me drive it harder and in this day and age of speeding cameras hidden everywhere maybe that's not a good thing. I agree that the Scirroco is better value but it is a niche car so VW can charge what they like for Golfs as the demand is much higher. As for driving a 1.6 or a GTI, if you can't tell the difference there mate then you need some help....For me the appeal is the practicality but I just think it looks better. Like I said, each to his own. The Rocco was a great car for me and I'm sure the Golf will too.
silver130
In: Indium Grey
Options: Indium Grey. 2.0 GT. DSG. Panoramic Sunroof. Dynaudio. Rear Parking Sensors. Bluetooth Hands Free. Cruise Control.
Aluminium Pedals. Sill Trims. Premium Mats.
Now Gone. Scirocco 2.0 GT Manual
Rising Blue Paint. Dynaudio.Premium Mats. aluminium Pedals. Sill Trims. R32 Gearknob.

Post by silver130 »

Does this mean you will have the GTi by the time GTi International comes around.
IF IT'S NOT BROKEN
I'VE NOT TOUCHED IT YET !!