Emissions recall

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
snowie
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: not sure, 6 months old when I got it, still finding stuff!!

Re: Emissions recall

Post by snowie »

Got my letter yesterday, same thing, thought they had sorted this out!
whiteDevil_170
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Candy White
Options: 19 inch lugano alloys , Metal pedals, satnav , DAB , leather , parking sensors , Red footwell LEDs , white led interior , hkb door sills , Needle sweep ,Horn beep on open/close , big speedo, drl deactivated, cornering fogs, An ocd for keeping it clean! Gloss black mirrors.
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

Yep same got mine today.
Pointless letter. No further than they was the last time I got the letter. And still saying the update won't affect anything. No performance or mpg changes.

If that's the case then wouldn't they of done it to begin with rather than cheat the system.
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
jackhay
In: Reflex Silver
With a: DSG box
Options: Leather seats, parking sensors, carbon dash trim

Post by jackhay »

Same here, I got the latest pointless letter. It seems to me that VW are struggling to make the fix work satisfactorily, otherwise they'd have started implementing it now, especially given the governmental pressure they're under. That would also explain why they didn't design the car like this originally - i.e. the engineers couldn't make it compliant with regulations in the time available before launch, so it was launched with a cheat. (But - let's not forget - the affected cars are still less polluting than the previous year's cars, I understand, so my wife's 2008 Golf TDi pollutes more than my 2010 Rocco TDi, but the Rocco cheats on the regs that applied when it was made whereas the older Golf doesn't.)
whiteDevil_170
Options: 19 inch lugano alloys , Metal pedals, satnav , DAB , leather , parking sensors , Red footwell LEDs , white led interior , hkb door sills , Needle sweep ,Horn beep on open/close , big speedo, drl deactivated, cornering fogs, An ocd for keeping it clean! Gloss black mirrors.
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

Just picked my car up from its 4th service and mot.
No advisorys which is good.

Side note though. When I dropped the car off she said we will also perform a software update. I said no thanks as it will remove my remap that I have installed. Ok that's fine. There was No mention of the emissions update.. Just a software update.

Picked the car up today and she says no software update was done. And it states this on the invoice. But it states Ea189 NOX update . I asked about this and she said it was the softeare update. It wasn't done as it would remove your remap. But it is the emissions update. She said any car that goes in now for services etc will get the update unless the owner declines. In no way is it mandatory. So just a note for anyone not wanting this emissions update. It's being carried out on cars now unless you decline it.

Strange how they haven't sent any more letters out regarding this saying the update is available.
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
Cuprabob
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

I got a letter a couple of weeks ago with joint DVLA and VW branding saying the update was now available and to contact local dealer to book it in and have it done. Although I don't have a remap I'm still not getting it done as I'm hearing a few negative comments from owners of other models who have had it done. No need to take the risk.
whiteDevil_170
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

Oh right I wasn't aware of this. I thought they was still working on the update.

What have owners been saying about it?
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
Cuprabob
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

Some Tiguan and Passat owners are saying they can notice a reduction in power and the engine seems "rougher". You never know as people tend to look for negatives if something has changed but personally I don't feel inclined to take a risk because it will be nigh on impossible to get a dealer to reverse it once it's done.

VW are rolling out the update model by model as a way of managing the process.
Tymondo
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Deep Black
Options: R - APR Stage 2+, Milltek cat back no resonated, Peron Intercooler, Forge hoses, Anti-Lift Kit, RS4 FPRV, VWR Induction, VWR Springs, GFB DV+, NGK Iridium plugs. Cup Spoiler and Maxton Splitter, Side skirts and diffuser.
GT TDI - Now sold

Post by Tymondo »

I have been keeping an eye on this. Im not keen on getting the update, and then i give it some thought.

I am not a mechanic or knowledgeable on cars what so ever, so my following thought process might be complete rubbish, if the sole purpose was to lower the emissions, surely be deleting this the car should breathe easier and logically it would do more harm than good to retain those emissions somewhere?
Scirocco R Build thread -> http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 13&t=23485" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cuprabob

Post by Cuprabob »

Better out than in :-)
flashash
I drive a: Scirocco R
Options: Dynaudio, Dab RAdio, Factory Bluetooth, Folding Mirrors, Parking Sensors. Leather

Post by flashash »

Anyone had it done yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Deft
In: Indium Grey
Options: Rear parking sensors

Post by Deft »

I'll probably get mine done, as I like to live life on the edge. But they weren't ready a month or so ago at my dealership so unlikely to happen until next service.
These reports of funny behaviour post update do seem at odds with the way it was originally reported. It sounded like the cheat mode only invoked under a limited set of test circumstances, so to fundamentally change normal driving is a tad unexpected / worrying. VW aren't the most transparent of companies......
Ninja
I drive a: Haven't decided yet

Post by Ninja »

My work van needs to go in. BlueMotion 1.6 caddy. :(
snowie
Options: not sure, 6 months old when I got it, still finding stuff!!

Post by snowie »

Just booked mine in for the update next Thursday, service manager said you won't notice any difference, will update with what I find.
mwylde
In: Indium Grey

Post by mwylde »

If this helps anyone I work at a VW dealership and we carry out beteeen 4-7 updates a day and have had no reports back with any change. We've to advise that it's a software update and there is no alteration to performance or economy, and have had no people return with any complaints about it.

With what happens with the 1.6TDI CR engines is still to be fully released. They're expecting it to be November time before it's out.

I've had it done to my rocco and can say that it makes no difference.

The recall is not mandatory and you can refuse it, however every time you book your car in at a VW dealership for service they will ask you about it because it will show on our system as an outstanding field campaign.

Hope this helps.

smbmetal

Post by smbmetal »

flashash wrote:Anyone had it done yet?

Yes, I've had it done. I've not noticed any difference. I got a free key ring, pen and flask :yes:
Cuprabob

Post by Cuprabob »

smbmetal wrote: I got a free key ring, pen and flask :yes:
The guys in the US will be jealous:-)
jackhay
Options: Leather seats, parking sensors, carbon dash trim

Post by jackhay »

I got a letter from VW today saying that they were still 'continuing with our work to release the technical measure for your specific vehicle'. Goes on to say it's complex with multiple models, engine variants and gearbox types affected. This seems odd. There is only one EA189 engine in the Scirocco and we think the work's been done to build the fix for it. Is this letter saying that they haven't got a fix for DSG cars yet? (Why would it be different?)
Twiki
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
Options: RNS 510, DCC, Rear View Camera

Post by Twiki »

Hi.

Here in Portugal no Scirocco was called to do the software correction. This means that no feedback about the change impact is available.

I don't expect visible changes to performance or fuel consumption. But I am afraid of the impact in DPF lifetime since in my opinion the car will increase the number of DPF regeneration cycles. Maybe the people that already did the change can say something about this.
Cuprabob

Post by Cuprabob »

I received another letter today, which will also be ignored, despite the lure of a keyring, pen and a flask...
Roy_01
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Sumatra

Post by Roy_01 »

First vw has to come with some money, and then still skip the update lol :P