Any good reports about roof bars for the scirocco?

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
gt2
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Reflex Silver
With a: Manual box

Any good reports about roof bars for the scirocco?

Post by gt2 »

Hi all, new to the forum. Im looking to fit a set of roof bars to the scirocco. There are several reports of leaky seals due to improper fitment and even a case of a set collapsing on this forum. Does anyone have good experiences with the roof bars? As in they havent caused any problems and have been reliable that they would be willing to share before i take the plunge and buy a set?

Thanks in advance

Dave
wensleydale
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Rising Blue

Re: Any good reports about roof bars for the scirocco?

Post by wensleydale »

I have the genuine roof bars, they fit well on the car, have been rock solid and haven't caused me any leaks. the only thing to be aware of is that if left on for more than a couple of hours the seals will look deformed when you take them off. After about 30mins or so the seals go back to their normal shape.

They can normally be found on eBay for a reasonable price, and occasionally pop up on here once you have enough posts to view the buy sell forum.
LiamV89
I drive a: Haven't decided yet
Options: Looking for a 170TDi GT Manual. Naaaah
Scrap that. In the market for a Scirocco R now

Post by LiamV89 »

I too have wondered about this and have seen a few people suggesting these.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I suppose it depends on how much weight you're planning on loading onto the roof as the max weight is 75kg
gt2

Post by gt2 »

wensleydale wrote:I have the genuine roof bars, they fit well on the car, have been rock solid and haven't caused me any leaks. the only thing to be aware of is that if left on for more than a couple of hours the seals will look deformed when you take them off. After about 30mins or so the seals go back to their normal shape.

They can normally be found on eBay for a reasonable price, and occasionally pop up on here once you have enough posts to view the buy sell forum.

I think this is probably the route I will take. I could more than likely get your money back selling them the same way if unhappy with them. Do you just fit them and remove them everytime you use them? Must be a hassle having to have a clean car every time you want to fit them.
gt2

Post by gt2 »

LiamV89 wrote:I too have wondered about this and have seen a few people suggesting these.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I suppose it depends on how much weight you're planning on loading onto the roof as the max weight is 75kg
As much as that thing gets good reviews by everyone who has used it on amazon, i'll be honest it scares the crap out of me. Not something you could just leave fitted either as theyd be stolen.
wensleydale
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Rising Blue

Post by wensleydale »

gt2 wrote:Do you just fit them and remove them everytime you use them? Must be a hassle having to have a clean car every time you want to fit them.
Yeah I put them on and off each time. Takes me about 15 mins to fit them now. I do cheat though and just get a very wet wash mitt and clean the gutters and around the tops of the windows where the bars sit.
gt2

Post by gt2 »

wensleydale wrote:
gt2 wrote:Do you just fit them and remove them everytime you use them? Must be a hassle having to have a clean car every time you want to fit them.
Yeah I put them on and off each time. Takes me about 15 mins to fit them now. I do cheat though and just get a very wet wash mitt and clean the gutters and around the tops of the windows where the bars sit.
Fair one. Youd be forever washing it otherwise ha