!!Timing Chain Tensioner!!

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Komar
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 122/125
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box

Re: !!Timing Chain Tensioner!!

Post by Komar »

OK, we are talking about not leaving the car in the gear when it is on hill......makes sense...

what about when the car is not on the hill, but on the level ground? Is it also good to leave it in neutral and handbrake up?

although is on level ground there is still some tension on the chain I presume.....
blower
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Reflex Silver
With a: DSG box

Post by blower »

Basically never leave it in gear when parked - you just don't want to run the risk of any movement of the crankshaft when their is little tension being applied via the tensioner.
dimexi
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
Options: Parking Sensors

VAGCOM Mods:
DRL/PRL off
Needle sweep
XDS on
Big mph speedo
Alarm beep
Comfort indicator blinks adjusted to 4
Windows close via rain sensor

Other Mods:
Metal Pedals
Self installed VW OEM Bluetooth 7P6(L)
Self installed Cruise Control
RNS510
Stage 1 Bluefin

Post by dimexi »

Thanks for your answer to my earlier question blower.

I wonder how many instances of these failures are due to the spring becoming weak (as opposed to leaving car in gear). Those issues with the spring (how ever rare) would affect DSG engines as well
blower

Post by blower »

Yeah - you get a warning with the spring being weak. Where it's just the spring that's worn out then you get the start up rattle for some time and hence can get it fixed before it fails completely.

I know of a 1.4 TSI where this has happened and they got it fixed. I don't know of any DSG variants of the 1.4 engines which have had the tensioner completely fail without warning and destroyed the engine. I know many manual 1.4's that have failed without warning due to being left in gear though.

As previousy mentioned the 2.0 TSI runs a different pattern..due to the ratchet mechanism failing they can fail completely without warning, or they can begin to rattle with some warning - but they shouldn't fail due to being left in gear, however I would still not leave them in gear as you don't want to be putting strain on that tensioner's ratchet mechanism regardless.
Psycho Kirky
In: Salsa Red
Options: MODS-
K&N Typhoon Induction kit
BCS Powervalve custom sport TBE
REVO Stage 2 remap
Airtec Stage 2 Intercooler
Forge diverter/recirculation valve
Sachs Performance clutch
'Heavy Set' silicone hoses
REVO Torque Mount Insert
Various detailing

Post by Psycho Kirky »

aaimson wrote:Did your tensioner fully fail, or was it just in the process of going? Mine is currently going (can hear the chain a little loose on start up) but I'm doing minimal driving, it's going into the garage this weekend so hoping its just new chain and tensioner!
The tensioner failed yes, as you can see in one of the pictures the tiny piece of metal which is used as the ratchet mechanism for the tensioner broke, this caused all the work to be carried out you see so far.
More work has been done as one of the inlet valves in cylinder 4 is slightly bent possibly both. So we are taking the head off which is a ballache of a job on this car I can tell you!

If you hear what you think is the chain/tensioner rattling then get it changed ASAP. My chain was catching the lower timing cover also which needs to be replaced.

Hopefully your car makes it to the garage alright :D

Sent Via tapatalk
dimexi
Options: Parking Sensors

VAGCOM Mods:
DRL/PRL off
Needle sweep
XDS on
Big mph speedo
Alarm beep
Comfort indicator blinks adjusted to 4
Windows close via rain sensor

Other Mods:
Metal Pedals
Self installed VW OEM Bluetooth 7P6(L)
Self installed Cruise Control
RNS510
Stage 1 Bluefin

Post by dimexi »

I think you might possibly get a VCDS warning as well when the spring starts to weaken and cause the chain to slip. RW1 mentioned something about that back in the day
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

The relationship between each cam sensor to the crank sensor is monitored and if you do get chain slip or chain stretch then an EML will be triggered. The values for each cam sensor can be read by reading the associated block using VCDS.
aaimson
Options: none

Post by aaimson »

I get a "scratching" noise between 2-3k rpm and think it's the chain on the casing. I'm taking it to an indie near me on Monday not sure on the price they'll charge, anyone give me a rough figure that they've have quoted/paid so I know if I'm getting a decent deal?
blower

Post by blower »

The chain tends to only be loose during the moments of startup, where there is no oil pressure.
During the first moments of startup, many monitoring functions are disabled or detuned. It won't detect a loose chain during startup unless it stays loose, which is why you can have the chain rattle during startup but no EML or anything logged.

If the chain has stretched beyond tolerance this will be picked up during normal running and produce an EML. If the chain slips you will get an EML but hell you won't need it to tell you something is wrong, if it slips just 1 tooth it may not even start - if it does it will run like a bag of spanners. 2 teeth and its lunched engine.
aaimson

Post by aaimson »

So I'm very lucky atm? and should probably get it changed..
Komar
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 122/125
In: Candy White

Post by Komar »

I also did have the rattle sound when I start the engine (not every time) for the past 2-3 years....

Dealer did the inspection and the said everthing was fine and last update chain and tensioner was in.........

This year I changed my chain beacuse he strecthed, and probablly the tensioner was faulty too....

No more rattle at the start, the car was jerky sometimes when hitting the gas, but the interesting part was there was no fault codes or warning lights...

Im really glad I sorted it out, and my next engine wont be chain driven any more....
aaimson

Post by aaimson »

Cars been into VW today, and they couldn't here the fault, said if it was the tensioner it would probably be constant not bits and bobs. What they suggested was a clip on the waste gate of the turbo, quite common apparently of this to happen to the engine and it gives it a metal rattle between 2-3k rpm (pretty much my issue).

It's described here perfectly! http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20401" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Rattling Noises from Engine Compartment Area or Exhaust System" on 2008-2012 CCTA and CBFA engines. "Test drive the vehicle to duplicate and familiarize yourself with the noise. Noise can typically be duplicated by driving up a moderate incline, beginning at 35 mph in 4th gear (manual or automatic transmission) and accelerating through the RPM range of 1800-3000 RPM under moderate to heavy throttle. Obey all local traffic laws. " The explanation for the noise is "Because of exhaust gas pulsations the wastegate flap and actuator rod vibrate at the introduction of boost pressure."
sciroccosam1
Options: Black gloss Wolfrace Scorpio 17", Kenwood DAB Multimedia System, Dectane smoked LED sidelights/indicators, Smoked LED taillights, LED number plate lights, Front bumper lip, Personal numberplate, Privacy glass, Red brake calipers, Black gloss exhaust caps

Post by sciroccosam1 »

I have had a rattle on start up for quite a while but noticed it more over the last few days, my roc has done 34k, I've got the extended warranty and just checked it and it says regarding timing belts and tensioners (I assume same as timing chains) are covered providing the last due change took place as specified, should I take mine in to be looked at?
Psycho Kirky
REVO Stage 2 remap
Sachs Performance clutch
REVO Torque Mount Insert
Various detailing

Post by Psycho Kirky »

SUCCESS!!!!! Finished! And it only took 6 weeks haha, mostly weekend work and a few days when off from normal work.

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/57d4789b7bb ... WA0006.mp4

I may do some form of a basic write up of this, but if i'm honest.....

If this happens to you and unless you have good mechanical skills or friends with a great deal of tools on the market and some sort of vehicle lift or an inspection pit. SORN the car until you can afford the plethera of parts and labour costs.

If your car is still in VW warranty then you should be fine. But like me it will cost you near to £1k, granted i renewed a couple of things that werent needed. But in the state the engine was in it would be daft not to.

Good luck to all those who are this unfortunate :) I salute you!

Sent Via tapatalk
Psycho Kirky
REVO Stage 2 remap
Sachs Performance clutch
REVO Torque Mount Insert
Various detailing

Post by Psycho Kirky »

Psycho Kirky wrote:SUCCESS!!!!! Finished! And it only took 6 weeks haha, mostly weekend work and a few days when off from normal work.

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/57d4789b7bb ... WA0006.mp4

I may do some form of a basic write up of this, but if i'm honest.....

If this happens to you and unless you have good mechanical skills or friends with a great deal of tools on the market and some sort of vehicle lift or an inspection pit. SORN the car until you can afford the plethera of parts and labour costs.

If your car is still in VW warranty then you should be fine. But like me it will cost you near to £1k, granted i renewed a couple of things that werent needed. But in the state the engine was in it would be daft not to.

Good luck to all those who are this unfortunate :) I salute you!

Sent Via tapatalk
If the video doesnt play, its basically the engine running at idle [emoji14] boring but after the work it felt like a miracle lol!

Sent Via tapatalk
Roy_01
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Sumatra

Post by Roy_01 »

Nice job! Another tsi owner that can sleep again :)
Chrisc_91
In: Urano Grey

Post by Chrisc_91 »

I've got a 1.4 tsi, after reading this I've had say 3-4 cold starts where I heard a slight rattle for 1-2 seconds and ignored it could this be my chain? I'm pretty doubtful it is but this post made me wonder slightly. Engine was rebuilt about 2-3 months ago due to the old misfire nightmare so I can't really be affording another few grand.
Paradox1
I drive a: Haven't decided yet

Post by Paradox1 »

This is horrible...

Shame On VW.
Mines booked in this week as a precaution.

Does anybody have the part number for the the latest revision?
blower

Post by blower »

Chrisc_91 wrote:I've got a 1.4 tsi, after reading this I've had say 3-4 cold starts where I heard a slight rattle for 1-2 seconds and ignored it could this be my chain? I'm pretty doubtful it is but this post made me wonder slightly. Engine was rebuilt about 2-3 months ago due to the old misfire nightmare so I can't really be affording another few grand.
Far more common on the 1.4 TSI is the camshaft adjuster sticking on startup (due to oil draining out of it overnight)....This happens on the earlier revisions, 2009/2010 cars.

Have a look here to identify if its the adjuster or chain thats causing the noise: http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 25&t=20760" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chrisc_91
In: Urano Grey

Post by Chrisc_91 »

Thanks for that Blower! Mines exactly the same as the cam shaft noise in the video. Would you still advise the tensioner upgrade on my 60 plate 1.4tsi for peace of mind?