1.4 160 idle misfires :'(

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Chrisc_91
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Urano Grey
With a: Manual box

1.4 160 idle misfires :'(

Post by Chrisc_91 »

So after putting a post up a few months back having a slight idle judder and was reassured it was normal to a certain extent I forgot about it.

Yesterday I drove Manchester to Birmingham and back and at idle it seems extremely tough very judders but when I put a little power it smooths out fine and also runs fine.

Come this morning the rough idle now brings up a flashing engine management light.

Took it to a friends garage where he ran diag and it brought up multiple random misfires and misfired in cylinder 2.

Hoping to god it's not the hell I've seen people go through on here, going to change all plugs and the coil pack and see if that's gets me anywhere if not then I've really no idea financially I'd be f****d.

Hope someone can give me a positive on this.

Cheers!
blower
In: Reflex Silver
With a: DSG box

Re: 1.4 160 idle misfires :'(

Post by blower »

I'd just go straight for a compression test - its pretty much a 100% yes/no that your piston is ok.
Stefano82
In: Deep Black

Post by Stefano82 »

Swap your coils and see if misfires happen again in other cylinder! This is the basic test to see if your coil needs to be replaced !
Chrisc_91

Post by Chrisc_91 »

Had the compression test this morning, results made me sick, cylinder 2 was reading at 70 where as the rest were 150, absolutely gutted have no idea where to go from here.

Taken the car to the garage I got it from only 4 months ago middle of Feb, out of warranty but after 4 months you don't expect this so hoping they will contribute or do the repair needed.

Contemplating buying a rebuilt engine and fitting if all else fails.
Stefano82

Post by Stefano82 »

Sorry for that :(
blower

Post by blower »

If you bought the car from any car sales garage and not a private sale or auction - you have a 6 month warranty by law.

The Consumer Rights Act
The Consumer Rights Act came into force on 1 October 2015 and covers the purchase of goods, digital content and services including new and used cars (it doesn't apply to private sales) as well as servicing, repairs and maintenance work.

Between 30 days and 6 months
If a fault comes to light after 30 days but before 6 months have passed then you are entitled to a repair, replacement or refund. It is assumed in law that the fault was present at the time of purchase unless the seller can prove otherwise. During this period, unless you have agreed otherwise, the seller (dealer) has only one opportunity to repair (or replace) the faulty vehicle after which, if they fail to repair it, you are entitled to a refund.

In the event of a refund following a failed attempt at repair during the first six months the seller is permitted to make a 'reasonable' adjustment to the amount refunded to take account of the use that you have had of the vehicle since you bought it.
Chrisc_91

Post by Chrisc_91 »

I've been told the 30 days - 6 months law a lot over the past day or so, the day I got my car I had to turn round on the way home as it was misfiring (had no idea about the infamous problem), they diagnosed a coil pack change in 1 and 4 which they changed.

I'm waiting for a courtesy car from them so I can leave the rocco with them to look into it, as they mentioned to me it's "out of warranty" but as the law states it's before 6 months. I'm just hoping they dont try and get out of repairing the car.

Personally I'd prefer to just put a new rebuilt engine but I'll have to see what they come back with, but as I say, personally I can see them trying to do me over.
blower

Post by blower »

Don't let them steam roll you - speak to trading standards if they are not playing ball. That car was sold unfit for purpose, your rights are very clear and their duty is very clear.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consu ... standards/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chrisc_91

Post by Chrisc_91 »

Thanks for the info man I'll keep this post updated.
Chrisc_91

Post by Chrisc_91 »

UPDATE**

After the garage I got the car from happily offered to take a look of the car they confirmed a hole in the piston, the engine is being rebuilt with all 4 new reinforced Pistons and have also offered to pay 50% of the bill leaving me just over £1100 to pay, so all in all I feel like I've dodged a bullet regarding the price. Just glad it's getting sorted.
Plyphon
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
Options: ALL THE OPTIONS

Post by Plyphon »

Shouldn't they be paying the full bill?
chp

Post by chp »

Plyphon wrote:Shouldn't they be paying the full bill?
Agreed. Under the aforementioned Consumer Rights Act you shouldn't be paying anything! It is down to the garage you bought the car from to either repair it - at entirely their own expense - or give you a full refund. This isn't some optional thing they can talk their way out of or decide not to do. It is the law!
moulin12
Options: Used to own a 1.4 160 DSG.

Post by moulin12 »

chp wrote:
Plyphon wrote:Shouldn't they be paying the full bill?
Agreed. Under the aforementioned Consumer Rights Act you shouldn't be paying anything! It is down to the garage you bought the car from to either repair it - at entirely their own expense - or give you a full refund. This isn't some optional thing they can talk their way out of or decide not to do. It is the law!
http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/ ... t-can-i-do" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On this reading, the onus is on the car dealer to prove that there wasn't a problem when the car was sold: otherwise it's repair at their full expense. Given the mass of available evidence that point at misfires on the 160 tsi leading to pot failure, then I'd be taking the case to trading standards. No way would I accept the deal on the table.
Chrisc_91

Post by Chrisc_91 »

Thanks for all the help guys, I was just desperate to get my car back and I couldn't be doing with even more hassle but I've got the car back today and it eventually after a few emails ended up costing me £0.00.

Would you advise to take it smooth for the first 1000 miles on the new Pistons to bed them in?
blower

Post by blower »

Vary the rev's as much as you can - there's no need for full throttle, but avoid steady speed driving on motorways for the first 100-200 miles.

Do take it easy until oil is up to temperature (>70c).
Chrisc_91

Post by Chrisc_91 »

Ok mate thanks for the advice :) how long shall I do this for? The first 100-200?
moulin12
Options: Used to own a 1.4 160 DSG.

Post by moulin12 »

That's a great result - well done!

Standard advice for running is pretty much as provided: for the first 1000, keep below 4K rpm, vary the revs and most importantly ensure the car's up to temp. After 1000, begin to build up the revs. To stress, probably more harmful to labour the engine than to occasionally give it a bit of boots (when warmed up).
Chrisc_91

Post by Chrisc_91 »

Cheers mate, yeah I'm just taking it smooth varying the revs at the moment, not been above 3000 really, plus I never boot it until it's warmed up anyway lol
Danharris90
In: Viper Green
Options: Black alloys

Post by Danharris90 »

Sorry to jump on this thread but im in the same boat with my rocco.. all be it within its 6 month warranty and this being attempt number 4 at sorting the car. My compression test was a little worse than yours with 3 cylinders being below 100psi and only the one at 150psi. I'm hoping the garage sort it this time as they have just been sending me away with new coil packs and plugs previously. I've had nothing but trouble since day one with it.

How's your rocco running now Chris ?? Do you have any idea what worknwas carried out ? And what Pistons they put in ?
Chrisc_91

Post by Chrisc_91 »

Hi mate, sorry to hear about this! I know what you're going through I was fobbed off with a coil pack at first but I knew there was something wrong when my car wouldn't idle without feeling it was going to stall, I had a compression test done twice once by the garage and another by a friend, both were as I said, then they put a camera in and found the hole in the piston, they initially told me they were fixing just the one broken piston which I told them seemed absolutely ridiculous as I have 3 other standard Pistons that were most likely going to go at some point.
They ended up replacing all 4 Pistons with reinforced VW ones all has been well since then. Still got the slight idle judder but as I've been told by Blower who is like a scirocco guru, it's pretty normal for these engines. Let us know how you get on with this man, wish u all the best buddy!