Manual to DSG. Opinions so far?

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Kev
Administrator
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box
Options: Leather, cruise, parking sensors, folding mirrors, flat tyre indicator
Sadly replaced in Nov '16 by a TTS!

Manual to DSG. Opinions so far?

Post by Kev »

Did you move from manual to a DSG box in getting your Scirocco?

If so, what do you think of the experience so far?
Do you think you'd stay with DSG for your next car or do you miss the old third pedal?
bianco
In: Deep Black
Options: All except sunroof, ACC, Dynaudio & rear seats. Lowered a bit for the looks :-)

Re: Manual to DSG. Opinions so far?

Post by bianco »

I moved from a tip-tronic automatic to the DSG and its a world of difference. :D

In the tip-tronic, I spend a lot of time thinking about how much gas to give it. Mostly to avoid it changing down at odd times.
When the tip-tronic changes down, it losses all power for something like a second. And it always does it when You really need more power, not less!

Before the tip-tronic I had four cars with manual - I am never going back :lol:
LCM
Options: Anthracite Leather - Dynaudio - Parking Sensors - Electric Mirrors - No Badge - Winter Pack - Mats - Tyre Indicators - GT Steering Wheel Badge - Metal Pedals - Premium Cills - Private Plate T20 ROC. Superchips Bluefin Remap 250bhp/400Nm

Post by LCM »

First ever automatic car I have owned!!

Normal driving for me is in heavy trafffic which would normally means lots of clutch action. For this reason I wouldn't want to go back to a manual however when the road conditions are compliant to your driving mood the benefit of the DSG over a normal manual is fantastic.

You can down shift 3 gears and up shift three without any jolting or lag and when spanking it on proper roads you get exactly the gear you need whilst not having to lose power when using the clutch as in a manual.

After 22 years of driving and being a bit of a speed freak I never thought I would say that I was happy with an automatic but here I am letting the world know how good having the best of both worlds is - "every day is a school day" as the saying goes.

I am sure the manual drivers think I am either homosexual or an incompetent driver but having done several track days and having an advanced driving licence would note that you should try it before you condemn it - also a certain moderator on this site with his remapped manual could not get away from me and all the time my DSG sounded sooooo much better. :lol:
My Roc was fast - but now its FASTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roc On!!
true
Options: .
Heated Anthracite Leather
RNS-510 with 6 CD changer
17" Spa alloy wheels
Premium mats
Covered cupholder
Debadged rear
Cruise control

Post by true »

I've still got both and most of the time I prefer driving the DSG just because it's that much easier. Every now and then the DSG thinks for a split second too long, say when pulling out of an open junction, and I don't find it particularly smooth when gently braking to a halt (4th to 3rd and 3rd to 2nd specifically) so I've taken to putting it into neutral, but overall I'm very happy and would definitely choose DSG over manual again. Although I have to say I do prefer a lazy automatic on big engined luxo-barges/SUVs (A6, A8, Q7, Phaeton, Touareg)...

Edit: when I say both, I mean a manual car and a DSG car - not two Sciroccos!
martdy
In: Rising Blue
Options: Vienna Leather,Winter Pack,Dynaudio with DAB,PanoRoof,Parking Sensors,Tyre Indicator,Non Smoking Smokers Pack,Cruise control,Folding Mirrors, Prem Mats/Sills,Gt Badge/Metal Pedals,Fiscon Bluetooth.

Post by martdy »

My last car was a manual Mk5 Gti which was great but I was getting more and more p*ssed off sitting in stop start traffic. Having heard great things about DSG Gti's - I took the plunge! No regrets whatsoever. It took a while to get used to initially - including me twice hitting the brake pedal with my clutch foot and emergency stopping , good job no-one was behind me! In stop start traffic I leave it in auto, so much easier,smoother and far more relaxing .Now my Roc's run in properly I've really started to get the best out of the manual/paddleshift mode on the (sometimes) open road. :yes: And as someone who likes their toys/technology I find it an amazing bit of engineering. I love it :clap:
Rising Blue,DSG,Vienna Leather,Winter Pack,Pano roof,Folding mirrors,Dynaudio/DAB,Park Sensors,Cruise, Flat tyre indicator,Prem Mats+Sills,Metal Pedals,Gt Badge,Fiscon,Covered cup holder/rear cup holders.Now gone Piano Black with new Climate Control
nickp
In: Pewter Grey
Options: Anthracite Leather, Dynaudio Soundpack, Park Sensor, Folding Mirrors, Flat Tyre Indicator, Smoking Pack,
Carpet Mats. GT Steering Wheel Badge, Metal Pedals, Pewter Arsenal Key Ring.

Post by nickp »

Though I've had mostly manual cars I've owned/driven a few autos over the years and the DSG is definitely the best of them.
Seems to change up or down at just the right time for me and is so smooth in doing so.
I'm only just starting to play with the paddle shifts and they feel more intuitive to use than I'd imagined. I can see I'm going to have some fun with them on the right roads.
Manual always used to be the automatic choice for me (that doesn't sound right does it?) but I'm never going back either.
My left leg loves the DSG too as it's almost shrunk down to the same size as the right one since I lost the Peugeot clutch :p :yes:
Counterfitpig
In: Candy White
Options: Reversing Sensors, Folding Mirrors.

Post by Counterfitpig »

I ordered a Scirocco 2.0 TSI DSG nearly 4 weeks ago. I haven't had the opportunity to test drive a DSG Roc only the manual and have only ever driven a friends Golf GTi DSG for about 3 or 4 hours and was impressed. However in browsing the internet I have come across some negative comments regarding the DSG and was considering looking in to changing to a manual if I could. However after reading the comments in this post regarding Manual to DSG I think I will stick with the DSG option!

Cheers!
steve
In: Sumatra
Options: panoramic sunroof, truffle leather, winter pack, dynaudio soundpack, parking and tyre sensors, cruise control, carpet mats

Post by steve »

It's swings and roundabouts.

The DSG is the best auto box I've ever had, but I do miss the immediate control of a manual box too sometimes. Having said that, you can't beat an auto in stop-start traffic. Given the choice I'd still go for DSG now given the option again.

I think that the delay pulling away that was mentioned above could be to do with the fact that the throttle is just connected by wires and doesn't manually 'open any taps'. You really need to plant your foot in the floor to give the right signals to the EMS sometimes.