Dreaded 1.4 160 PS Missfire

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
blower
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Reflex Silver
With a: DSG box

Re: Dreaded 1.4 160 PS Missfire

Post by blower »

You're right about there being no definitive list on when and what was replaced....so here it is (based on latest version and update of VW ETKA parts data history)

CAVD Engine (2009-2012)

Injectors
Original: 03C906036F
Superseded: 03C906036M on 01/03/2012
Note: Original injectors clogged easily, newer revisions clog less and have wider spray pattern to improve burn (and reduce detonation)
Some cars in 2011 were fitted with newer 'M' revision, some not - original VW database indicated injector change in mid 2010, however this has since been corrected as some (maybe most) cars in later 2010 and all of 2011 were still being fitted with older revision.

Spark plugs
Original: 101905626
Superseded: 03C905601A sometime end of 2010 (info unavailable)
Superseded: 03C905601B on 01/10/2012
Note: Original plugs were fitted in error due to parts error in database, evidence of this has been removed from ETKA data history. Plugs has too wide a gap, 0.9-1.0mm
2nd Revision plugs had gap - 0.8mm, platinum
3rd revision plugs had gap - 0.8mm, iridium

Coil packs
Original: 036905715F
Superseded: 036905715G on 01/06/2012
Note: Newer coil packs generate a slightly strong spark

Pistons
Revised numerous times, hard to formulate accurate dates as its a mess in ETKA with contradictions depending where you look.

Supercharger Clutch / Waterpump
Original: 03C121004E
Superseded: 03c121004J on 01/04/2010
Note: Original supercharger clutch would slip, causing a pronounced squeek on mid to hard acceleration...more prevalent during warm weather.

Camshaft Adjuster
Original: 03C109088B
Superseded: 03c109088E on 01/07/2010
Note: Original adjuster would stick, causing a very loud grinding/rattling noise on startup, often misdiagnosed as chain tensioner issue

Note how engines still kill their pistons in 2009/2010/2011....but you never see them break in 2012 onwards, and i'm certain that's down to the injector change.

2013 cars onwards should have CTHD engines - these incorporate all the above part number changes along with newer piston revision.
edwheels
In: Rising Blue
Options: Sat Nav (315) DAB, 18" Wheels

Post by edwheels »

Blower - An excellent, comprehensive list with added information - the best I have seen.

It's a shame VW have now dropped this engine technology as it had a lot of promise for the future of engine design... but at the end of the day (whether due to complexity or broken engine claim costs) it's the accountants who rule the roost.

Cheers.
blower

Post by blower »

edwheels wrote:Blower - An excellent, comprehensive list with added information - the best I have seen.

It's a shame VW have now dropped this engine technology as it had a lot of promise for the future of engine design... but at the end of the day (whether due to complexity or broken engine claim costs) it's the accountants who rule the roost.

Cheers.
I agree, it is a shame it was dropped. It is a complicated engine - but all its failings are not down to the complication. The supercharger, turbocharger and all the charged air control flaps rarely fail.
It failed and got a bad rep due to VW screwing up with wrong part numbers (sparks), over leaning in order to fit it into certain emissions brackets and the aforementioned injectors....none of which are unique parts to this engine design.

Marrying this troublesome engine with a troublesome DSG gearbox was just another nail in this platforms coffin.....that of course failing due to corroding synthetic oil in mechatronics units, combined with overheating clutch packs resulting in glazed surfaces that lead to clutch juddering / slip in 2nd gear.
That gearbox is now pretty much fine in mk7 cars with rare reports of juddering or false neutrals (since the mech oil service campaign), it's the same gearbox just with latest revision clutch pack and improvements in heat absorption from the clutch via a beefed up bearing.
edwheels

Post by edwheels »

True - thinking about it, yes it is more complex than some engines, but there are so many turbo'ed engines out there adding a supercharger is not last word in complication really and actually quite logical... so if only VW had got it right at the beginning I think we'd all be benefitting now.

True too IMO that with the 7 speed dry clutch DSG often fitted to this engine (and fitted without any other option on the Polo GTI, Cupra 185, Audi A1 185) it just multiplied the bad perception as, once again, it looks like VW made a few errors early on to what is actually a sound and technologically brilliant design....

I am guessing the MY2014 Sciroccos with the 7 Speed Dry Clutch DSG also benefit from all the revisions to the clutch packs, oil type, software etc? Vested interest here of course but sure it might help other to know too. Once again there is so much information on the net it's difficult to see the wood from the the trees with this sort of thing.

This sort of thing is not a new for VW in my experience... many years ago I had a MK1 Golf GTI. I ran it to 120K Miles when a common ( I later found out) issue with the fuse plate (caused by damp getting in) caused so many electrical issues and break downs. All pre-internet but so similar to now in other ways. I remember the VW dealer where it was towed after a break-down charged £250 for investigating the problem then a further £200 for replacing he fuse plate (a lot of money in 1991). All was fine but the problems came back a month or so later and with regret I chopped it in for a boring Passat 1.8 (short lived) just so I could have something to rely on for work... I still miss that GTI because when it was on-song it was superb.
blower

Post by blower »

Yep - 2014 models onwards would have the new clutch packs, bearing designs. The mechatronics will also be prefilled with mineral oil - so no issues there.
All the software updates done on CAVD/CAVE which addressed various issues (knock sensitivity, cold start issues, overly lean running etc) were all solved by 2012 so any later models, including CTHD engines, would have had all those issues already addressed.

The problem with VW - and many manufacturers for that matter is they push new designs out the door too fast, without enough testing. On top of that they are completely reliant on 3rd parties for 90% of the parts that go into a car...so it only takes one to drop their quality and a patterned problem emerges.
Like everything, a car is only as good as it's weakest part....not a problem if its a cheap external part, not good if its right in the guts of the engine! Also the whole emissions thing has resulted in poor engines having to go through hell during their life - EGR's pumping sooty exhaust back into the intake is one that comes to mind, thankfully that's one thing the 1.4 TSI doesn't have to deal with...no EGR.

As i put in another post, it's not like the 2.0TSI isn't without its issues - it has a boat load of them, one of them an engine killer (timing chain tensioner)...just engine death is not as prevalent and of course that's the real expense that will scare people witless.

All the things that go wrong with the 2.0TSI don't affect the 1.4 TSI hardly at all (barring clogged injectors which is an issue with all direct injection engines).
Chain tensioner, water pump, coil packs, HP fuel pump, rear main oil seal, PCV - all have no pattern fault issues on the 1.4 TSI.....where on the 2.0TSI rarely one will get to 60k miles without at least something on that list having gone at some point.

I like the 1.4 TSI twincharged - its a good mix of power vs economy, when its running well its a fiesty little engine with plenty of low down torque. I'd also go so far to say that in it's last incarnation, like you have, it has less issues than a 2.0TSI (pre the new MQB platform varients).
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

blower wrote:Yep - 2014 models onwards would have the new clutch packs, bearing designs. The mechatronics will also be prefilled with mineral oil - so no issues

I like the 1.4 TSI twincharged - its a good mix of power vs economy, when its running well its a fiesty little engine with plenty of low down torque. I'd also go so far to say that in it's last incarnation, like you have, it has less issues than a 2.0TSI (pre the new MQB platform varients).
I thought the 7-speed was a dry gearbox and the synthetic / mineral oil issue was only on the 6-speed DSG.

There are no Scirocco variants that utilise the MQB platform.
blower

Post by blower »

7 Speed is a dry clutch - but the mechatronics is bathed in oil - has to be to lubricate the valve body which drives the forks for the planetary gearing side of the box. This oil is 'sealed for life' so is not part of the service schedule, unlike the oil on the 6 speed.
The issue with false neutrals and other funkiness on the 7 speed was that in warm climates, the sulfur in the synthetic oil would break down and form deposits on the mechatronics control board - shorting out various parts.

The same may have applied to 6 speed - but it was headline news for the 7 speed as in Australia, with it being very hot, they were failing by the drove and people would loose all drive whilst driving along as the shorts usually blew the gearbox fuse.
This resulted in a VOSA recall in the UK to get the box oil changed out as a precaution - we may not have a hot climate but the box could have failed if we had a prolonged hot summer.
Last edited by blower on Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

Thanks for explanation, much appreciated☺
blower

Post by blower »

Forgot to mention, Yep the MQB platform is not utilised on the scirocco yet - but the engines from the MQB platform have been 'ported' over - basically if your petrol engine is now belt driven and not chain driven - its an MQB variant. The new 1.4 TSI 125ps is an example of this.
Din
I drive a: Scirocco R

Post by Din »

Same happened to mine around same age and mileage.

VW Dealership replaced under good will. I had to pay £170? Which compared to list price on a replacement I was more than happy with.

I just stressed the fact its a VW on 40k miles.. Speaks for itself.
edwheels

Post by edwheels »

Blower, thanks again for the insight.

I'd expect if an all-new Scirocco was released would use the MQB platform in full, but it must make financial sense for them to now use some of that platform's engines were they can directly replace the previous ones. As you said, it's just a shame the twin charger was dropped and as seeing how its technology is not featured in any part of the MQB line up it won't be back anytime soon either.

The variation in models that now use MQB - from the TT to to the Touran is an impressive cost saving exercise though, that's for sure.
Jacko5
Options: Heated Leather Interior.. Winter Pack .. Panoramic Sunroof .. RCD 510 Radio

Post by Jacko5 »

Great info, thanks to all :)
I have a 2009 1.4 Tsi Manual gearbox.
Is there anything i can look at in Vagcom to see if i have any upgraded parts regarding changes that helps misfire problems ?
Scirocco TSi 1.4 ... Rising Blue ... Decent Spec.
samhawkey
In: Pure White

Post by samhawkey »

PLEASE HELP

This has now happened to my car!!
Im almost cring reading this post haha

I bought my car (1.4tsi 2010, 30,000miles ) from VW couple months ago and this has just happened.

I have 2 years warranty though, they said i may have to diagnostic fees or if it isnt covered around £700 to take the head on and off.

Do you reckon this will be covered in my warranty???

thanks
greg7728
In: Viper Green

Post by greg7728 »

This should be covered under warranty however warranty doesn't cover diagnostic - it is unlikely they will determine the issue without taking the head off, as the scan will just state there's a mis fire and what cylinder. Make sure they clarify who is liable for the costs of labour for taking head off and make sure they clarify an engine failure is covered - if u only bought 2 months ago u r covered sale of goods act 6 months and could argue the issue was inherent at point of sale and is a known issue. As the vehicle not fit for purpose u can return of they fail to make it right, u shouldn't be liable for anything under sale of goods- may be worth having a chat with dealer u bought from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
samhawkey

Post by samhawkey »

i have a 2 year warranty and the receptionist phoned and said i would be liable for the diagnostics ( quoted no more than £122) which is fine by me!
but then shes saying if its not in warranty id have a bill of over £700 and thats just removing the head....

I have had the car 2 months and problems already, my last 1.4 scirocco had 2 engines and got wrote off, thought it was just a dodgey car but looks like its all sciroccos :grumpy:

ive phoned my vw dealer where i bought it from and they said as im not local, its best to go back to where my car is at my local one :no:
( awful service and not helpful at all )

whats the point in a 2 year warranty then....

cheers for your help, much appreciated!
greg7728

Post by greg7728 »

Return the car under sale of goods act as u r within 6 months take it back to the dealership and say it's not fit for purpose is faulty and leave it up to them to ascertain what issue is. It's their job to put it right - get on to vw on Twitter as well they hate bad press. That'll get vw customer service involved too. Take it back if ur not happy it's their job to put right. Read up on sale of goods.

samhawkey

Post by samhawkey »

greg7728 wrote:Return the car under sale of goods act as u r within 6 months take it back to the dealership and say it's not fit for purpose is faulty and leave it up to them to ascertain what issue is. It's their job to put it right - get on to vw on Twitter as well they hate bad press. That'll get vw customer service involved too. Take it back if ur not happy it's their job to put right. Read up on sale of goods.

Tweeted them the other day actuallt greg and i got a repsonce straight away funnily enough haha!

VW phoned, they have ordered in a brand new engine, and are waiting confirmation for a new turbo aswell...

Looks like a whole new car being fitted for me :grumpy:
greg7728

Post by greg7728 »

Least it's worked though and u haven't got to worry about bills etc. Pays to bother them on social media - hope goes well. New engine will be great - all the latest revisions of parts. Mine has been rebuilt and drives great

Thorn
I drive a: Haven't decided yet

Post by Thorn »

Hi,

I am new here and this is my first post but I have been reading through this forum for weeks now. I am looking to buy a new car and have been really interested In the Scirocco. After checking all the adds I have come to the conclusion that I can only afford a 2009 model. I am looking at the 160ps model.
After searching the internet about this car as much as I could I have found this forum where it seems many owners have had problems with the engine. Even had to rebuild them. Now that scares me quite a bit as the last thing I'd want after buying a car is to have to rebuild it's engine. The models I'm looking have from 70-95 000kms.
Is the issue with this cars engine really so widespread? I just wonder if I should try to find a different car instead altho the Scirocco is exactly what I was looking for in a car.
Thank You all for the help.

T.
janherko
Options: Alcantara, Bi-xenons, Full LED interior, Metal pedals, Sensors, RNS 510, 18" Interlagos piano black, Pearl black foldable mirrors, Winter pack, Pirelli PZero Nero 235/40, Pipercross air filter, New complete pistons, New K03 BorgWarner turbo, Full LED tail lights, Full LED front indicators

Post by janherko »

Get a 2.0 TSi and you're fine...too much hassle with the 1.4 twincharger, really...unless you get it for extremely good price so you have a room in case some shit happens. But still, if I was to buy Rocco again, I'd never pick the twincharger:(