Windows Move When Starting

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
SHutch
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box
Options: Parking Sensors

Windows Move When Starting

Post by SHutch »

Have noticed my door windows have started moving when I start the engine - not every time but it has happened a few times now - when you turn the ignition key both drivers and passenger door windows "twitch". Anyone else experiencing this?
Candy Monster
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
Options: Leather, Parking Sensors, Electric Folding Mirrors, Flat Tyre Indicator, DVD Nav, Premium Sills, Alloy pedals, Boot Liner, Custom GT Mats, GT badge, 20s, Cruise, R32 trim, Silver 'A pieces', debadged, White VW badges, Eibach springs, Revo, custom enginge cover, custom air dam, orange rub strips

Re: Windows Move When Starting

Post by Candy Monster »

had this once, i think its when the key is held between off and ignition on. The car thinks your about to take the key out and get out of the car.
peterowl
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: 18" Interlagos Wheels, Carpet Mats, Cruise Control, Front Fog Lights, Multifunction Steering Wheel, Parking Sensors, Tinted Windows, Winter Pack, Dynaudio. Mods: Debadged, Colour-coded vw badges, metal pedals, premium door sills

Post by peterowl »

I think this is because the windows are frameless. When you open the door the window moves down slightly so it can clear the edge of the car. It does this automatically if you pull the door handle, or if it is 'expecting' you to get in/out the car, i.e. when you unlock it or when you turn off the engine to get out. Maybe in your case they are moving back up after you've got in.
dchuraman
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box

Post by dchuraman »

looks like another one with the problem i had, seems to be spreading! its a faulty ignition switch, took mine in after it started like yours, then started going crazy. theyve had a number of replacements theyve had to fit
Digiman
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
Options: none

Post by Digiman »

Hi, You get a similar thing happening if you take the keys out the car and turn the steering wheel till the steering lock kicks in. If you then put the key in the car and try to turn the key the windows move up and down. You have to take pressure off the steering lock pin by turning the steering wheel before you can turn the key fully.
DjIceT
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Pewter Grey
Options: Alarm, parking sensor, cruise control, coming/leaving home lights, rain sensor, GT package, 18" Chicago alloys, multifunction steering wheel, alloy pedals.
RNS 510 - installed, not working yet..

Post by DjIceT »

Digiman wrote:Hi, You get a similar thing happening if you take the keys out the car and turn the steering wheel till the steering lock kicks in. If you then put the key in the car and try to turn the key the windows move up and down. You have to take pressure off the steering lock pin by turning the steering wheel before you can turn the key fully.
This happened to me about an hour ago. First time it has happened.
stan_blade
Options: Leather, Parking Sensors, Winter Pack, Front lux mats, rear rubber mats, Sat Nav, Pano roof, Auto Glym, GT st-wheel badge, Prem door sills, Boot liner, Metal Pedals.
23k miles and rising. Stone chips galore.

Post by stan_blade »

I had this, its a fault ignition switch.
it was discussed before here:

http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... =25&t=1820