Boot Lid resprayed when new.. help

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Evil Derboy
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box
Options: Leather • Nav

Re: Boot Lid resprayed when new.. help

Post by Evil Derboy »

Last edited by Evil Derboy on Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
BAIKAR
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box

Post by BAIKAR »

the thing we are forgetting here is that the car was damaged in someway and was repaired it was not a paint defect that requires warranty work.

I would try and find out if the boot has filler in it and if so either

A) demand a new boot and do not take that crap that the boot will not line up1 thats absolute rubbish

B) demand a new car. Warranties are there for defects but if your car was damaged then repaired thats not what you bought. You ordered a new car and thats what it should be

C) demand some form of compensation which ever choice you make

but most important I would seek advice from citizens advice or a solicitor as to what they think

really depends what would make you happy, at the end of the day if they did respray it the job would be perfect but if its always going to be in your head that i've a damage repaired boot on the back of my car will you ever be happy?
Andy-GTI
Options: R

Post by Andy-GTI »

BAIKAR wrote:the thing we are forgetting here is that the car was damaged in someway and was repaired it was not a paint defect that requires warranty work.

I would try and find out if the boot has filler in it and if so either

A) demand a new boot and do not take that crap that the boot will not line up1 thats absolute rubbish

B) demand a new car. Warranties are there for defects but if your car was damaged then repaired thats not what you bought. You ordered a new car and thats what it should be

C) demand some form of compensation which ever choice you make

but most important I would seek advice from citizens advice or a solicitor as to what they think

really depends what would make you happy, at the end of the day if they did respray it the job would be perfect but if its always going to be in your head that i've a damage repaired boot on the back of my car will you ever be happy?

You've got some pretty idealistic views. . . .

How do you know your car didnt have any damage that was repaired at the factory???
Evil Derboy

Post by Evil Derboy »

Last edited by Evil Derboy on Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
true
Options: .
Heated Anthracite Leather
RNS-510 with 6 CD changer
17" Spa alloy wheels
Premium mats
Covered cupholder
Debadged rear
Cruise control

Post by true »

I think getting a proper respray, assuming the boot isn't damaged, is a good result. :yes: I wouldn't be worried about the car being devalued or anything like that.

In terms of compensation I would try to get free servicing from that garage. You're unlikely to be able to get much more than that as it sounds like this garage has been pretty reasonable - it was the other one that messed you about. Or when you go back in just listen to what they offer as compensation (rather than going straight in and asking for stuff)

Anyway, I'm glad it's on its way to getting resolved :clap:
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

if its in the body shop i'd ask if they'd do the stone chips etc as a getsure of good will
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
sara_brea

Post by sara_brea »

Evil Derboy wrote: When the issue was originally raised at the first dealer why didn't they query VW at the factory?
Apparently they couldnt check at the VW factory without sending off pics of the damage along with a paint depth reading... which is a shame it could have saved me 2 trips (30 miles each way!)

Ive pushed and pushed them about exactly what happened and they say they dont know only that it was an authorised respray. Like i say my main concern is resaleability my brothers Mazda had a bumper respray and the official mazda garage refused to buy it based on this another independant garage tried knocking off a couple of 100.. I dont want to be in a situation which comprimises me financially or my positions with the PCP company...

If they can repair the boot to the same paint depth as a new car which would make it indistiguishable im happy. Im just worried about potential other damage underneath possibly even structurally (the car does pull to one side)

In terms of inconvinience in all honesty being self employed its cost me 2 days and say 25 quid in petrol. It will also be 6+ weeks since i reported the problem im not after cold cash but anything is a bonus. im thinking at the very least my petrol costs and service
chr15
In: Rising Blue

Post by chr15 »

Usually when cars are resprayed by a bodyshop the paint depth will be much thicker than from the factory. If it is sprayed properly however and the colour match is spot on then you should not be able to notice any problems or have any trouble in the future.
bungle
Options: Vienna Leather. Folding Mirrors. Parking Sensors. Carpet Mats.

Post by bungle »

I would suggest you let the process just take its course. Let them respray it. VW have put their hands up and acknowledged the repair was authorised by themselves. They've acknowledged its a crap job, and they will put it right. It will be perfect, and will have no effect come re sale time. Yes, you should definitely be compensated for the hassle, but the dealership have acknowledged they will discuss this when the job is done to your satisfaction. They couldnt really have done much more than they have done so far.

You will not get anywhere with the rejection route. Before you can reject, you have to give the garage three clear chances to repair the fault. This is more relevant to mechanical faults than paintwork faults. I've no doubt they will get it right for you. I remember reading somewhere that about 20 per cent of all new cars suffer some form of damage in transit, and will have visited the paint shop before being collected by their new owners, who never have a clue it has happened.

You've had a really unfortunate time, but it sounds like the garage is doing what they can...............
silver130
In: Indium Grey
Options: Indium Grey. 2.0 GT. DSG. Panoramic Sunroof. Dynaudio. Rear Parking Sensors. Bluetooth Hands Free. Cruise Control.
Aluminium Pedals. Sill Trims. Premium Mats.
Now Gone. Scirocco 2.0 GT Manual
Rising Blue Paint. Dynaudio.Premium Mats. aluminium Pedals. Sill Trims. R32 Gearknob.

Post by silver130 »

What i don't understand is how this wasn't noticed when you picked the car up in the first place. Surely you gave it the once over before you drove it away ??
More worrying however is that the dealer was prepared to let you drive off with a defective paint job that should have been picked up on the PDI thinking you were not going to notice until the first time you washed it.
I think you should kick up a stink with VW UK. I am sure they would be interested to hear about this shoddy attempt at customer service !!
IF IT'S NOT BROKEN
I'VE NOT TOUCHED IT YET !!
sara_brea

Post by sara_brea »

UPDATE

theve finally sorted my car.

they took the paint back to the orignal undercoat and resprayed the boot ive been promised its perfect as good as new and no one would be able to tell (if so im happy)

im off to pick her up tomorrow however ive just spoke to the garage and theve offered me a first service for free as compensation... which doesnt feel enough to me its been 6 weeks ive driven over 400 miles back and forth collectively taken 12 hours off work (self employed so it stings more) and been to 4 different garages.. however im sure they wont give me cash what else could they realistically offer me?
sara_brea

Post by sara_brea »

went to pick it up today however the resprayed boot has engrained black particles in it (looks pretty bad on a white car). Theres also stone chips on the front of the car and bonnet! so im 'guessing' someone has taken it for a good spin while its been in there posession

Regarding the paint I have been told by there expert that their is no way to respray the boot so its 100% perfect/factory new and that the car is acceptable as it is, and that i should accept it. However I would never have signed for the car as new in this condition.

Im unsure what to do next should i be thinking about rejecting the car based on the fact they cant bring it to the standard of a new car?
drnick
Options: leather, Nav, Park sensors

Post by drnick »

my 2 penneth. Unless you've got photographs of the bonnet without chips before you took it to them then unfortunately you can't prove that they did it. Did you have any paperwork when you dropped the car off that recorded the mileage? If so then obviously you'll be able to see if it's been anywhere during its 'stay' with them.

Regardless of this I would reject the car under the sale of goods act. If they get shirty and VW UK won't budge get in touch with What Car magazine, they're helpful with these kind of things.

Hope you get it sorted Sara....
sara_brea

Post by sara_brea »

no pics but i walked round the car with the bloke inspecting it when he took delivery and explained the car was perfect which he agreed and noted...

in terms of milage i know its been driven as the paint shop is 20 miles from the dealership.. isnt rejected the car a bit eager? i dont know if i can cope with waiting 3/4 months for a new one!
Evil Derboy

Post by Evil Derboy »

Last edited by Evil Derboy on Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
dazza
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160

Post by dazza »

sara_brea wrote:
Regarding the paint I have been told by there expert that their is no way to respray the boot so its 100% perfect/factory new and that the car is acceptable as it is, and that i should accept it. However I would never have signed for the car as new in this condition.

thats rubbish its completely possible to do a respray 100% perfect i would not accept the work and make them do it again and the bonnet now too.
sara_brea

Post by sara_brea »

I thought that but if there telling me its not possible AND there attempt to respray the original damaged paintwork is no good i have little faith... what can i do? let them have another go?
DjIceT
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Pewter Grey
Options: Alarm, parking sensor, cruise control, coming/leaving home lights, rain sensor, GT package, 18" Chicago alloys, multifunction steering wheel, alloy pedals.
RNS 510 - installed, not working yet..

Post by DjIceT »

sara_brea wrote:I thought that but if there telling me its not possible AND there attempt to respray the original damaged paintwork is no good i have little faith... what can i do? let them have another go?
You let them have another go. But tell them that this is the last chance. If it's not perfect after this go, you'll regect the car. Also try to get them to fix the stonechips as well, since the manager agreed that the car was in perfect order when you handed it over. If the garage won't help you, go over their heads to VW. For them it's much cheaper to satisfy one customer than to risk bad publisity.
sara_brea

Post by sara_brea »

Spoke to the garage and theve offered me a new car... Problem is id have to wait 4 months or there is a reflex silver i could have in 3 weeks. Any ideas what would happen to my finance on my old car if i have to wait 4 months? would they suspend it for 4 months?
drnick
Options: leather, Nav, Park sensors

Post by drnick »

Who did you get your finance from? If you got it from VW then i'd guess so, if it's just a bank loan I'd keep paying it off. Can you keep your first car while they get you a new one? If so I'd say definitely go for it as you'll get the new instruments and steering wheel........