Will this VW scandal effect anything?

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
anishjoshi10

Will this VW scandal effect anything?

Post by anishjoshi10 »

About to buy my first ever rocco on saturday, but with this scandal about the VW emissions will it effect anything on the car, resale value, value of the car etc?

Going for a 2.0 TDI GT
Viking
I drive a: Haven't decided yet
Options: None

Re: Will this VW scandal effect anything?

Post by Viking »

Ask the dealers if it's one of the few affected, and if so then ask them to apply the required fix before you buy the car. If you're happy with the car once it's fixed then I wouldn't worry.

When I say "Ask" I mean send them an email and keep a copy of all correspondence relating to this. That way they can't "forget" anything once they have your money.

Having said that, it's entirely likely that the fix won't affect UK owners anyway as it'll most likely just be a removal of some offending dormant software which you wouldn't notice anyway. It certainly won't put me off VW diesels. Gonna be some flack over the next few weeks/months, but it'll die down and you'll have a car you like and are happy with I'll bet.
anishjoshi10

Post by anishjoshi10 »

How will i know if it's been affected, as it's a private sale?
Guest2
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Reflex Silver
With a: DSG box

Post by Guest2 »

Why not wait a few months? i reckon sales will be down and they will have to clear stock so could be some reduced prices or good deals going on.

Personally i think this is going to spread and change the way cars are tested/portrayed/marketed. MPG figures are now being looked at as being misleading, which we all know they are as they are tested under lab conditions and real life mpg is being documented on various websites. Soon that Golf (or any other affected Diesels engined car) that did 55-70mpg will have the cheat code taken off, mpg will go down and together with the upset of the real-life mpg facts,that will now have to be published as real-life scenarios,not in a lab, that car will now be doing 40mpg at which point the consumer will be very annoyed and the market will demand for new engines and tech. Hence then the big shake up and newer tech engines coming in.

Info on the scandal:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volkswagen ... car-recall" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Guardian:

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/s ... pg-figures" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry to post a link tot he Daily Mail! not my cup of tea but im sure there is more on google if you search!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... iency.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Guest2 on Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Guest2
In: Reflex Silver

Post by Guest2 »

A good thread at the moment with a few people talking about it is in this link:

http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... =2&t=20552" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have a read though. Some people are more of the idea that it will blow over (viking!! :eek: no disrespect intended! we all have our opinion!) but im sure if you read the news and the posts online then you can make a good informed decision.
Viking

Post by Viking »

My opinion is based on reality though, not media hype and compensation culture driven hysteria...
anishjoshi10

Post by anishjoshi10 »

Hmmmm really dont know what to do! MOT runs out on my car on tuesday too haha
Viking

Post by Viking »

Well, on a private sale you could argue a £500 discount and just enjoy the saving. Then see what happens, although VW prices in Glasses Guide have dropped 3% over the week, so better deals might be coming around.
Billc
I drive a: R-Line
In: Ultra Violet
Options: Dynaudio, DCC, bi-xenons

Post by Billc »

As regards resale values one has to remember that we're dealing with the Great British General Public here, they're not known for their powers of reasoning! I overheard someone say yesterday "we can't use the car because it's a Volkswagen and they're dangerous aren't they".

Whatever the facts of the matter may be the GBGP won't get it right and it will affect resale values as a result. I've already had people point fingers at my *petrol* VW because they simply don't grasp what it's about.
Bill in Norfants
Mij
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Deep Black

Post by Mij »

I think resale prices will plummet initially and then re stabilise once it has all blown over. Once the BBC has something else interesting to report on, the general public will worry about something else. I personally think that many many manufacturers are probably doing it. They just haven't been caught!
CleanDiesel
In: Indium Grey
With a: Manual box
Options: 184 TDI, Dynaudio sound system, adaptive suspenion, electronic differential lock, 90% tinted glass, cruise control, winter pack, reverse camera, fancy phone linking up stuff.

Post by CleanDiesel »

Was looking at resale prices the week I ordered mine (before this all broke out) and looked again last night. No difference to sell on values yet. I very much doubt there ever will be. Possibly be harder to sell until whatever recall/fix has happened and the details are made public but once it's all blown over I doubt it will make any difference whatsoever.
skippy
In: Candy White
Options: Sat Nav, Leather, electric fold in mirrors, Dynaudio upgrade.

Now sold, but what a fantastic car!

Post by skippy »

I have just been reading a few more reports, and the breaking news is that VW are suspending sales of affected models in the UK. It is almost certain to have some impact on used values while this issue is dealt with, but I have not read anywhere that the Scirocco is an affected model.

For sure though, I think the diesel bubble has burst and there will probably be fewer incentives to buy one in the future. It won't be done overnight of course, but I would imagine taxation between petrol and diesel will close up again over the coming years.
CleanDiesel
In: Indium Grey
Options: 184 TDI, Dynaudio sound system, adaptive suspenion, electronic differential lock, 90% tinted glass, cruise control, winter pack, reverse camera, fancy phone linking up stuff.

Post by CleanDiesel »

The models affected are euro 5 1.6 and 2.0 TDI's with the Bosch ECU. I dont think the Scirocco was ever exported to USA so its probably not involved.

I think if you were planning on buying a second hand VW diesel now is the time before more details are released about exactly what's been affected, how it's going to be affected and what the implications of that will be. My gut instinct is it won't be a great deal and performance won't be affected bringing prices and demand straight back to normal, but for now some of the easily influenced maybe influenced into panic selling leaving the market rife for hunting a good deal.
PaulGL79
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 122/125
Options: 18 inch interlargos wheels, DAB Radio

Post by PaulGL79 »

This scandal seems to be as hyped up as Christmas , may affect diesel values for a few months, the petrols may hold up better. I just think drivers are worried about increased tax costs rather than emissions . I think there will be a comeback to petrol vehicles over diesels for new cars in the future as the latest petrol engines from the likes of VW, Ford, BMW etc are almost as efficient on MPG and don't cost that much more to tax. my 1.4tsi 122 was averaging 54mpg on the 50mph roadworks section of the M3 from Fleet services to M25
Cuprabob
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

PaulGL79 wrote: I just think drivers are worried about increased tax costs rather than emissions .
http://news.sky.com/story/1562736/vw-ch ... -tax-in-uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Terryrussell1952
In: Dark Oak

Post by Terryrussell1952 »

If there is a problem there will be a recall and this will not affect residuals, I can't see there is anything to worry about, a big hype that matters not a jot to values as far as I can see. Might be wrong of course.
Paddy_R
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140

Post by Paddy_R »

CAP have already said this will not affect residual values.