Hard brake pedal

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Timbo69
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Oryx White
With a: DSG box
Options: 184ps, Sioux Leather, Lisbon Wheels, RNS510, Keyless Entry, Folding Mirrors

Hard brake pedal

Post by Timbo69 »

Hi,

I've had a 2.0 TDi DSG for about 3 months now. It has keyless entry so the brake pedal needs to be depressed to start the engine and a couple of times now I have got in the car (once in a morning to go to work, another time in the afternoon to return from work) and the brake pedal has been rock hard. So hard that even when I'm pressing it the dash is telling me to press the brake pedal to start. A little pumping results in the engine starting and once started the servo kicks in and the pedal returns to normal.

Is this a fault or a 'feature'?

Many thanks.
Paddy_R
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Candy White

Re: Hard brake pedal

Post by Paddy_R »

I think all Sciroccos need the brake/clutch pressed to start the engine. I know mine does and it'd not keyless. As for the pedal issue you don't happen to live on a hill so sit with your foot on the brake when you're parking do you?

Edit: on my old Clio RS200 you had to press either the brake or the clutch. Renault obviously weren't as fussy ad VW.
Last edited by Paddy_R on Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cuprabob
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

Only DSG models that need the brake pressed. On manuals you need to depress the clutch.
Timbo69
Options: 184ps, Sioux Leather, Lisbon Wheels, RNS510, Keyless Entry, Folding Mirrors

Post by Timbo69 »

No it's a flat driveway
Phil
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Night Blue
Options: Recaro Seats, 19" VW Savannah Wheels, KW DDC Coilovers,R8 Coil Packs, Revo High Flow Intake, Milltek 3.00" Turbo-Back & Hi-Flow Sports Cat, GFB DV+, Rtech PCV Delete, Rtech Stage 2,Remap & Linear Throttle, Rtech Custom DSG Remap, PolarFIS Advanced, Forge Twintercooler

Post by Phil »

I don't have to on mine, but could be as its an 09
Phil
froudeg
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Reflex Silver

Post by froudeg »

Sounds like you have a vacuum leak (not a boost leak but a leak in the vacuum lines from the vacuum pump, vacuum pressure vessel or the brake booster vacuum line)

The brake pedal relies on vacuum pressure for the brake booster to work. Vacuum pressure is only built up when the engine is running, but should be retained when you switch off.
If there is a slow leak then when you come to start the car the next day the brake pedal will be rock hard as the brake booster will have no vacuum pressure.

You need to check all the rubber hosing for cracks, and also check the hard plastic pipe to the brake booster.
M7R
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Salsa Red
Options: Winter pack, DAB, Dynaudio - Retrofitted OE Bluetooth, and Cruise Control, plus some VCDS tweaks with more to come.

Post by M7R »

As above, you have a vac leak somewhere as the vac shouldn't leak off that quick.
Full Hex+Can VCDS if required - Nottingham / Derby area
Timbo69

Post by Timbo69 »

Well I took it into Inchcape Stockport to have the hard pedal and also some annoying rattling in the foot well looked at. They said the pedal was normal, as long as it's not hard when driving then it should not be a problem. There was also a list as long as your arm of things that weren't screwed in properly causing the rattles....which doesn't inspire me with much confidence.
xjay1337
In: Rising Blue
Options: Hybrid VKLR, BSR Ported Head, BSR Valve Springs, BSR CP3, THS IC, Revo /Forge Intake, Oil Cooler, , 3” Eurojet TBE, AKS SS kit, Recaro PP, Schroth 4 point, Rear seat delete, R bumper, CF GT24 Bonnet, VWR Spoiler, OZ 18x9 Et43, DB9 BBK w/ 340mm discs, pMu H16, S3 rear brakes, DNX520VBT, Hertz Audio

Post by xjay1337 »

The vacuum built up will go after about an hour.
click for build thread
Check out Fat Bear Photography
blower
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Reflex Silver

Post by blower »

In my old Golf Mk5 (TDI 2.0) and my current Golf Mk6 (1.4 TSI 160) - the brake pedal is never hard, even after sitting overnight.

I did have an issue a few weeks ago after doing some work on the car and disconnecting many vacuum lines when removing the intake manifold.
I had a hard brake pedal In the morning, I monitored the vacuum pressure with VCDS and it was slowly falling off until it was gone after a couple of hours.
I refitted various vacuum lines, and in particular paid attention to a rubber grommet on the brake booster vacuum line that I previously removed.
Since then i'm back to a normal brake pedal in the morning and monitoring the vacuum pressure it barely falls off, even after sitting for 12 hours.

Long and short of it is you probably have a very slight leak in a vacuum line, as above its not a problem as the leak is so slight that it's easily overcome by the vacuum built up when running. But its not normal or a feature.