7 years on

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Tallguy

7 years on

Post by Tallguy »

It is hard to believe it is almost exactly 7 years since the Scirocco was launched in the UK. My feelings about the car are:
- externally it still looks good and you don't see that many on the road
- internally it's age is starting to show especially on the technology front
A new model is needed in the next few years and I wonder if VW will make the investment needed for this relatively low volume car?
Kev
Administrator
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box
Options: Leather, cruise, parking sensors, folding mirrors, flat tyre indicator
Sadly replaced in Nov '16 by a TTS!

Re: 7 years on

Post by Kev »

Yeah I got mine in 2009 which seems ages ago now!

It is starting to age a bit. From the inside particularly with the red MFD and (by todays standards) a relatively small touch screen. The graphics seem very simplistic too.

However, I still think the shape looks fresh. I like the fact that there aren't that many around and the performance and handling are good enough for me.

I'm going to hang on to it until the MkIV shows its face (assuming they do one and not another bloody SUV!), probably some time in 2017.
davids
I drive a: R-Line
In: Pure White
With a: DSG box
Options: folding mirrors, xenons, Dynaudio, rear view camera, Carnet, park assist

Post by davids »

I dont agree. I've just taken delivery of my 3rd Scirocco and it feels and looks quite different on the inside from the first Scirocco I had back in 2008. The head unit is now the latest Discover MIB 2 system which includes Android Auto. Xenons have been greatly improved and I also have park assist/rear view camera.

I cant wait to see the MK4 model though in 2017/18.
skippy
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: Sat Nav, Leather, electric fold in mirrors, Dynaudio upgrade.

Now sold, but what a fantastic car!

Post by skippy »

Yes - my Roc is a 2009 (owned from new) and I still think the shape looks fresh and modern. That said, the facelift has grown on me a little and despite being on the market for a year, I don't see many of them about.

I can't overlook the fact though it still sits on the old platform (no MQB) , so I won't be looking to buy one, I will wait until the next model comes out in a couple of years.

Like Kev, mine is one of the early models with the red MFD and older steering wheel design.
R of Rock
In: Candy White

Post by R of Rock »

Not dated CLASSIC, every time I see a roc on the road be it the 2008 model or the latest model they stand out. I still think 7 years on it's the best looking car on the road.
Dazarooni
I drive a: Haven't decided yet

Post by Dazarooni »

IMO - the facelift in 2014 made all the right changes (externally) and although they weren't too drastic, it made the Scirocco look modern, fresh and more stunning than ever. The biggest issue with folk seems to be with the interior and I haven't seen the interior with my own eyes yet so will wait until my Scirocco arrives in 4-5 weeks time.

This will be my first Scirocco and am quite surprised how few facelift models I've seen on the roads - about 2 in total since I started paying attention 2 months ago. Possible 2 R models on top of this but can't say for sure as they were from a bit of a distance.

Is it possible than a lot of Scirocco owners are 'jumping ship' so to speak?

D
Irvysan
In: Ultra Violet
Options: MY15 2.0TDi (150PS), 90% rear tint, Electric folding mirrors, Vienna leather, RNS315.

Retro Fitted : LOTS of plasticky bits from china and well since I ran out of characters for this bit look here : http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 13&t=19967

Post by Irvysan »

R's Are pretty easy to spot. Bodykit+exhaust+glossy bumper bottoms and wheels. Look forward to seeing your pics :)

Sent from my phone
Dazarooni

Post by Dazarooni »

Yes I meant I wasn't sure if they were facelifted R's as they were at a distance :p
Irvysan
Options: MY15 2.0TDi (150PS), 90% rear tint, Electric folding mirrors, Vienna leather, RNS315.

Retro Fitted : LOTS of plasticky bits from china and well since I ran out of characters for this bit look here : http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 13&t=19967

Post by Irvysan »

Fair play Daz, they all look so good anyway ;)

Sent from my phone
Dazarooni

Post by Dazarooni »

Where did you order your Scirocco from? I am in Scotland too and used Ingram Volkswagen in Ayr via CarWow
Irvysan

Re: You want Power mirror fold using the fob ? I've sussed

Post by Irvysan »

Dazarooni wrote:Where did you order your Scirocco from? I am in Scotland too and used Ingram Volkswagen in Ayr via CarWow
I bought mine second hand, got a wee bargain.

Sent from my phone
Tallguy

Post by Tallguy »

I have just collected my new TT. Audi always do good interiors but what was immediately obvious compared to my Scirocco GT (great car) was how modern the interior of a new model is versus a design that is basically 7 years old
(a few dash top instruments do not hide this) but VW have a real opportunity with the next Scirocco to produce a
striking 2 + 2 coupe (the TT is a 2 seater only) and I may well return to VW if they do.
moulin12
Options: Used to own a 1.4 160 DSG.

Post by moulin12 »

Tallguy wrote:I have just collected my new TT. Audi always do good interiors but what was immediately obvious compared to my Scirocco GT (great car) was how modern the interior of a new model is versus a design that is basically 7 years old
(a few dash top instruments do not hide this) but VW have a real opportunity with the next Scirocco to produce a
striking 2 + 2 coupe (the TT is a 2 seater only) and I may well return to VW if they do.
The dated interior was a primary mover in my decision not to buy another Roc when looking to trade up, following my latest issues with my 1.4 160. Whilst I prefer the more classic look of the beemer interiors, the new Audi interiors do have a reputation for being of high quality material and build.