New Rubber!

Everything about the R for potential owners.
Marki
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Pano Sunroof

New Rubber!

Post by Marki »

Greetings from Melbourne, Australia!

I'm a proud owner of an Aussie spec R. I'm in the market for a new set of rubber, The original Bridgestone Potenza RE002 are very good, and have held up well, but after 35,000kms are due for replacement.

When driving at its limits on <50% tread, 188kws is ALOT for this FWD, (as with any FWD) so a good set of rubber is paramount.

I'm looking for suggestions, what other members have replaced there originals with, price is not really an issue, after all, its the only thing between myself and the road.

Thanks guys,
Mark.
Redpastyboy

Re: New Rubber!

Post by Redpastyboy »

I recently had 4 new tyres. Having read a lot of posts on here the two most popular tyres seem to be the Michelin Pilot Supersport or the Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetric 2. I went with the Michelins. They're quieter on the road than the Bridgestones and seem to absorb the bumps better. Although the tyres are the same size the profile seems bigger than the Bridgestones. Not sure about grip and wear levels as yet.
Stu13R
In: Rising Blue
Options: Fully loaded including Recaro seats
20" Cades Shift alloys with 245/30/20 Michelin Cup Sport 2 tyres
VWR Tracksport Coilovers, anti lift, wishbones and engine/gearbox mounts
Turbo back BCS Sports Powervalve exhaust with race cat & wrapped downpipe
VWR air intake and Stage 2 APR map

Post by Stu13R »

Redpastyboy wrote:I recently had 4 new tyres. Having read a lot of posts on here the two most popular tyres seem to be the Michelin Pilot Supersport or the Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetric 2. I went with the Michelins. They're quieter on the road than the Bridgestones and seem to absorb the bumps better. Although the tyres are the same size the profile seems bigger than the Bridgestones. Not sure about grip and wear levels as yet.
I have the Pilot Supersports as well and find them better gripping in the dry than my previous Pirelli P Zero tyres. Not sure about the wet due to not having much time in the wet and never really pushing it.
Marki

Post by Marki »

I ended up going with the Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Ill keep you posted on my thoughts :)
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

The Super Sports are a great tyre in the wet or dry and can take a bit of heat, I've used them them on track days in wet and dry and performed admirably just a bit pressure sensitive

I have also just got a set of Pilot Sport Cups 2s which are not as good in the wet as the PSS but in the dry are in a different league but i'd still say the PSS is the best all rounder
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
feeney
In: Deep Black

Post by feeney »

I had the supersports and didn't realise how superhuman they were until I bought cheap tyres! going back to them next absoloutley unbeleivable
Marki

Post by Marki »

So after a solid week on driving on The Michelin Pilot Super Sports, My reactions are WOW! They grip incredibly well and provide a very comfortable, quiet ride. The tyre and tread pattern look very aggressive. At 'higher speeds" I'm feeling a slight swaying movement, not sure if its the tyres or otherwise.
But would still highly recommend!
dchapman32
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
With a: Manual box

Post by dchapman32 »

This post has helped a lot, thanks all! Any recommendations about where to get the Super Sports at a good price?
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

For Michelin PSS, have a look at Costco, if you are a member or Camskill or Openeo online. Also, worth checking what your local fitter can offer.
Irvysan
I drive a: R-Line
In: Ultra Violet
Options: MY15 2.0TDi (150PS), 90% rear tint, Electric folding mirrors, Vienna leather, RNS315.

Retro Fitted : LOTS of plasticky bits from china and well since I ran out of characters for this bit look here : http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 13&t=19967

Post by Irvysan »

http://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/m ... e=27150806" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; £152.83 Including fitting, balancing and valves. I have no idea how this compares to others.

Those are : 235/35 R19 Y (91)

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

Camskill are £141 plus £2.99 shipping, plus you have to factor in fitting & balancing after that so that Blackcircles price is pretty good.
dchapman32
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI

Post by dchapman32 »

Cheers all, I'm after R18s so will get a local price for them too. I'm getting close to needing one of my front tyres changed by have 5/6mm left others. Tempted by going for a full set for a better ride but will be hard to justify the money!
Marki

Post by Marki »

In regards to pricing, I had several quotes for the Michelin pilot super sport 235/35 r19.
My final price was $1340AUD including fitment, balancing and disposal of my old tyres.

Well worth the extra coin, and was the cheapest quote by $160AUD!
Irvysan
I drive a: R-Line
In: Ultra Violet
Options: MY15 2.0TDi (150PS), 90% rear tint, Electric folding mirrors, Vienna leather, RNS315.

Retro Fitted : LOTS of plasticky bits from china and well since I ran out of characters for this bit look here : http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 13&t=19967

Post by Irvysan »

Looks like a good price, that's within £20 of the black circles price over here.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
SamA92

Post by SamA92 »

What about either Continentals or Pirelli P Zero's, I have yet to buy any tyres for my R but these two would be my first choices.