Scirocco R vs M135i vs Golf R

Everything about the R for potential owners.
Squashly69
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box

Scirocco R vs M135i vs Golf R

Post by Squashly69 »

Hi all, new to the site and hoping you guys can help out with my dilemma! I currently have a Scirocco and love it however I have had it for 3 years now and im considering getting one of the cars mentioned above...

Does anyone have experience of the other 2 and have an opinion on what I should go for?

Cheers :)
ShaunF
I drive a: Scirocco R
Options: .....

Re: Scirocco R vs M135i vs Golf R

Post by ShaunF »

Test drive them all, everyone will have a different opinion on each. Only you can decide!!!

I love the 135 engine and drive but hate how it looks.
Squashly69

Post by Squashly69 »

Agreed! Do want to test drive them all but hate how pushy the sales guys get! The Scirocco R wins hands down on looks I think but heard the M135i is lovely to drive!
Gmanr

Post by Gmanr »

I've heard nothing but good reviews on the new R, but not driven one personally. I had a 330 Msport which was very comfortable to drive, to comfortable and that was one of the reasons for getting rid. Also the back end was a bit too twitchy for my liking!!

So if I had the choice it would be the golf all day long.
Stu13R
With a: DSG box
Options: Fully loaded including Recaro seats
20" Cades Shift alloys with 245/30/20 Michelin Cup Sport 2 tyres
VWR Tracksport Coilovers, anti lift, wishbones and engine/gearbox mounts
Turbo back BCS Sports Powervalve exhaust with race cat & wrapped downpipe
VWR air intake and Stage 2 APR map

Post by Stu13R »

Golf R drives great but looks like a Golf which to me is the same as all the other Golfs and Polos. 135i good drive but back end twitchy in the wet (mate has one). Inside is boring and dated compared to vw interiors but a good all rounder.

Scirocco R looks the nuts and the difference between that and the Golf is only worth it if you can live with the looks.
Din

Post by Din »

I had a standard 1.4 160 Scirocco and recently thought to myself scirocco r v golf R.

I went for the scirocco and couldn't be happy. What made my mind up, was having golfs in the past then I "upgraded" to the scirocco. And I thought if I got a golf R, while driving it id be happy, but when I got out and looked at it id always think to myself, its not a scirocco. Decision made.

I also considered a 3 series bmw, went and test drove it and thought I was in the 1960s. Scirocco it was.
Jace
In: Candy White
Options: APR stage 2+, APR TBE, APR carbonio carbon intake pipe, VWR Intake, Forge inter cooler pipework, R8 coils packs, Sachs Loba stg2 clutch

Post by Jace »

Chased a Golf R down yesterday, he wasn't happy as I passed him :D

I'd keep your rocco & just upgrade to a stg2 or 3 tune.
whiteDevil_170
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: 19 inch lugano alloys , Metal pedals, satnav , DAB , leather , parking sensors , Red footwell LEDs , white led interior , hkb door sills , Needle sweep ,Horn beep on open/close , big speedo, drl deactivated, cornering fogs, An ocd for keeping it clean! Gloss black mirrors.
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

Jace wrote:Chased a Golf R down yesterday, he wasn't happy as I passed him :D

If he had got his remaped you wouldn't be passing him. And you wouldn't be happy :D
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
Tallguy

Post by Tallguy »

The Golf R is the more modern car with 4 wheel drive so the choice should be a 'no brainer'. I don't like current BMW's (have had 4 in past years) so can't comment on the M135i.
Where the Golf R falls down is that it looks like the average (diesel) Golf rather than a £30k + car. If I was spending £30k
+ I would have to go for the latest Audi TT. It may not be as fast as a Scirocco R but it is a more modern car and will have excellent resale values.
Stu13R

Post by Stu13R »

Tallguy wrote: + I would have to go for the latest Audi TT. It may not be as fast as a Scirocco R but it is a more modern car and will have excellent resale values.
Every man and his dog has a TT where I live and I think they look like a jelly mould. No real back seats either. :D
mond2k
In: Pure White

Post by mond2k »

whiteDevil_170 wrote:

If he had got his remaped you wouldn't be passing him. And you wouldn't be happy :D
he could have his mappped and bet he still couldnt catch me ;) 340 BHP from exhaust. Air intaker and map ;) Scirocket, my friends STI at 370 cant catch it
whiteDevil_170
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: 19 inch lugano alloys , Metal pedals, satnav , DAB , leather , parking sensors , Red footwell LEDs , white led interior , hkb door sills , Needle sweep ,Horn beep on open/close , big speedo, drl deactivated, cornering fogs, An ocd for keeping it clean! Gloss black mirrors.
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

mond2k wrote:
whiteDevil_170 wrote:

he could have his mappped and bet he still couldnt catch me ;) 340 BHP from exhaust. Air intaker and map ;) Scirocket, my friends STI at 370 cant catch it

A Revo mapped mk7 golf r is between 350 and 375 bhp. And being 4 wheel drive. Id be happy to place my money on the golf tbh than your car winning. So yours is a stage 2 r? For arguments sake a Stage 2 mk7 golf r is between 374 and 400bhp. Lol good luck against that if you was to race . If you start modding the golf r you will be getting much better gains than a scirocco and have the 4wd to help put the power down.

To the op.
I'd have the golf r out of the 3.
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

In reality the only real direct competitor to the Roc R is a Megane RS275 in the market place given fwd, you then get the 2 series and GTI 86

I'd look at the 235i over the 135i as its lightly better looking and a bit more power, if you can drive then you should be safe, GT86 is an acquired taste given the lack of boosted power and again you need to be able to drive

All boils down to where your priorities lie and if the coupe image is way up there and in reality what your daily usage is like

In terms of coupe i'd go for the R275 but tick the box for the ohlins suspension and Sport Cup 2 tyres at the moment as for me probably the best handling fwd out there, my priority being how it drives

If you can get over the its only a hatchback train of thought you would not be disappointed with a Golf R and the MQB platform
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
SMB
In: Deep Black
Options: RNS510, Parking, Panoramic Roof, Deep Black, Heated Seats, Leather, Electric Drivers Seat, Dynaudio, 19", Colour display, Electric folding Mirrors, cruise, Parking Sensors

Post by SMB »

I'm not sure if you are buying new, secondhand or leasing, but I would also suggest you alsoconsider the following

Roc r is getting a little old now, great car but not selling so well new so either a good discount to get or go secondhand. The pre facelift cars I think at better visually, mechanically there is no real difference.

Golf R 7 nice but visually bland, there has been quite a high failure rate (very public) of engines, turbos and some Haldex, search pistonheads and R forum for more.
Residuals will take a hit come the time the mass of ex lease cars come to market so if buying for yourself consider how long you will keep and the ownership costs. Also a bit of a theft magnet especially in 5 Dr.

Not driven the m135 but engine appeals even if looks don't
Tallguy

Post by Tallguy »

I think this post makes sense. If you look at the VW website, there are a good number of used (demonstrator?) Scirocco R's for sale. Many of these are priced unrealistically and I am sure in the coming months will be open to offers well below the asking price.
Stu13R

Post by Stu13R »

I have been trying to find a thread on another forum I read where they tested a 285 Roc and a 300 golf. The Gold was quicker off the mark but and through to 60, but from already rolling at 40+ the Roc was ahead to well over a 100 when the test stopped.

I am all for 4wd Rocs if you can't get the power down but for anything below late 300s ones better off the line but the other is lighter and better at higher mph.