Multiple Issues with 1.4 TSI

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
askeur
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box

Multiple Issues with 1.4 TSI

Post by askeur »

Hi all,

I have had multiple issues with my 2011 1.4 TSI DSG since buying only 8 months ago, (car has 22, 000 on the clock).

Don’t get me wrong, I love my car but in the 8 months I have had it, it has had to go back on a total of 7 occasions. Has anyone else had serious issues with this model??

So far I have had the following issues:

1. Ignition failure, full ignition had to be stripped and changed on steering column.
2. Fuel cap mechanism failure, mechanism had to be replaced.
3. Lambda probe failure, causing engine warning light to come on. This has happened on 4 occasions and has led to the lambda probes being changed twice.
4. EPC and warning light flashing and car shuddering, rumbling and losing power. Just dropped it back in today to a VW dealer to see about this getting fixed.
5. Goes through oil like there’s no tomorrow.

Are these common faults that others are experiencing?

I have had enough of the car now and am looking for a replacement through the VW dealer I purchased from, however I am interested to see if this is common place for this model or if I have just had the worst luck going.

Cheers,

Jamie
Phil
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Night Blue
Options: Recaro Seats, 19" VW Savannah Wheels, KW DDC Coilovers,R8 Coil Packs, Revo High Flow Intake, Milltek 3.00" Turbo-Back & Hi-Flow Sports Cat, GFB DV+, Rtech PCV Delete, Rtech Stage 2,Remap & Linear Throttle, Rtech Custom DSG Remap, PolarFIS Advanced, Forge Twintercooler

Re: Multiple Issues with 1.4 TSI

Post by Phil »

Can't speak from experience but i believe there is a particular age of your engine associated with certain issues but may be worth a search on here and have a read :yes:
Phil
askeur

Post by askeur »

Just spoke to the tech, looking at £700 for investigation and probable cylinder change, could be a bill of up to £2k...

Final straw for me, cars going back!

cheers,
askeur

Post by askeur »

Turns out my engine is goosed! Getting the usual quote of £6k for a new one.... gut wrenching.

Luckily I have managed to exchange for a wee Audi.

Sad to see the roc go, but a new engine after 20k miles is stuff of nightmares!

Apparently this is a common fault with the 1.4 TSi engine accross all car types from VW, Seat and Skoda. However, good luck getting VW to confirm this...
salsajoe
In: Salsa Red
With a: Manual box
Options: multifunction steering wheel, fogs, 18" alloys; DAB; XDS activated, DRLs reset, lock beep activated; indicator repeat set to 4; covered cup holder, rear seat 12v socket installed. metal pedals, 210 Golf GTi also in the stable. Scirocco gone - miss it. Polo GTI now.

Post by salsajoe »

That is bad luck. Mine has done 42k now and the only 'problem' was a software upgrade to the ECU under warranty. Runs really well and does not use any oil. I think the oil consumption problem is often down to how the engine was run in. Bought an ex-demonstrator once - never again - it used almost as much oil as petrol!!
moulin12
Options: Used to own a 1.4 160 DSG.

Post by moulin12 »

Mines a 2011, 28k, and a ex-demo to boot, but haven't experienced any of the issues you mention. However, it has had a replacement clutch (infamous 7-gear dsg judder), and I very much suspect that all of those quick, short test runs around the city etc didn't help too much in that regard.

I used to be under the impression that the cylinder/injector/misfire issues were confirmed to MY2011 (i.e. 2010 year) models and below, but there's been two or three people on this forum now who have suffered these issues with MY2012s.

Loathed to have to put in the time, energy and money to trade up to a 2.0ltr; but it does play on the mind a bit. I have full Mondial cover, but never trust these sorts of warranties.
askeur

Post by askeur »

My time with the roc has come to a premature end. VW are still investigating the failings and the connection between the lambda probe failures and total engine failure.

I never paid the £700 - £1k diagnostic to see what was going on with the engine and opted for a switch over to a wee Audi as it was likely I would have been stung for the full engine replacement. The dealer has since told me that he expects the engine needs fully replaced and they are also cutting their losses and sending it to auction (may just be saying this to keep me happy). I was been quoted £4k - £6k in total costs, however, a friend of mine had a similar fault with an A4, he sourced and had an engine replaced for £2.5k, so there are likely alternatives.

My so called 'autocare' warranty was useless in this situation as it was out of manufacturers warranty by 1 year. I do hope VW look into this further as it looks to be a growing trend among all cars with this particular engine and the fact my mileage was so low....

At the end of the day I have been extremely unlucky with the amount of mishaps I have had with the car. It was my dream car which turned out to be a bit of a nightmare. Saying that, it is a beast of a vehicle :)

Best of luck in the future