Cigarette lighter power after ignition off

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
mikealpha60
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box

Post by mikealpha60 »

How do,

I have a dash camera I used daily to record my journeys for insurance purposes. Noticed that it doesn't acknowlege when the engine is turned off, ends up confusing my camera to the point it crashes and I need to reseat the memory card to get it back to working.

One thing I noticed today is that my belikn cigarette lighter power adapter (which has a light on when plugged in) shows its power light on for a period after the car is locked up.

Does anyone know much about how the electric system for this ports work - seems it must be supplying some form of signal to this port for a time them shuts off - its not true power as it won't run a devices but enough to power an LED on my belikin device.

Anyone know why?
Cuprabob
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: Cigarette lighter power after ignition off

Post by Cuprabob »

http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... age#p91643" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mikealpha60

Post by mikealpha60 »

nice one
ChrisL
I drive a: R-Line
In: Viper Green
With a: DSG box
Options: Bi-Xenons, Badge deletion, Parking sensors, Mobile phone prep, 19" Lugano, RNS510, Pan Sunroof, Cruise control, Elec mirros, Vienna Black Leather, electric seat controls, Sound Package. August 2013

Post by ChrisL »

I wish it was user option to be able to leave the 12 Volt sockets on after the key is taken out. I often want to leave a phone charging for an hour or two when parked. The boot one would be ideal as it's all out of sight there.
salsajoe
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Salsa Red
Options: multifunction steering wheel, fogs, 18" alloys; DAB; XDS activated, DRLs reset, lock beep activated; indicator repeat set to 4; covered cup holder, rear seat 12v socket installed. metal pedals, 210 Golf GTi also in the stable. Scirocco gone - miss it. Polo GTI now.

Post by salsajoe »

Fitted a socket to the rear of the central console, wired to stay on with ignition off. There was a blanking piece there originally. Use it for a transceiver but occasionally for the phone.
/////AMG
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150

Post by /////AMG »

I've got a dash cam and I wanted it to stay on while I was away from the car. I've just hooked it up to an external battery pack which is then connected in to the lighter socket, so it's constantly charging while i'm driving.

It lasts about 4-5 hours but I think I need to invest in a bigger battery pack.
xtc250
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Rising Blue
Options: Factory Bluetooth Hands Free

Post by xtc250 »

I'm in a similar situation to the OP and have a dash cam also but i would like the 12v outlet in the center console to come on with the ignition and then go off with the ignition once the key is out.. does any one know if this is possible through VCDS? at the moment it just stays on all the time. Thanks.
Scirocco R in Rising Blue
MartyRocco
In: Deep Black
Options: Cruise Control
Rear Parking Sensors
Factory Debadge

Post by MartyRocco »

I've seen a thread over on the Mk7 Golf forum (where I live now since getting my GTI) which might help with making the sockets permanently live:
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5149" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's basically moving the fuse to another slot. I don't know whether it can apply to the Scirocco though? They probably don't share a fuse layout?

xtc250 wrote:I'm in a similar situation to the OP and have a dash cam also but i would like the 12v outlet in the center console to come on with the ignition and then go off with the ignition once the key is out.. does any one know if this is possible through VCDS? at the moment it just stays on all the time. Thanks.
Don't the 12v outlets do this anyway?
MartyRocco
Options: Cruise Control
Rear Parking Sensors
Factory Debadge

Post by MartyRocco »

ChrisL
I drive a: R-Line
In: Viper Green
Options: Bi-Xenons, Badge deletion, Parking sensors, Mobile phone prep, 19" Lugano, RNS510, Pan Sunroof, Cruise control, Elec mirros, Vienna Black Leather, electric seat controls, Sound Package. August 2013

Post by ChrisL »

I had a look at the following page after reading about the Golf owner's success with changing fuses. Unfortunately, I can see no equivalent fuse socket for Roccos. The current fuse appears to be SC 42 but that's just by reading and I've not tried any changes for real:
file:///C:/Users/Chris.SOLAR/Downloads/Scirocco%20Fuses%20-%20Dash%20-%20MY2010%20onwards.pdf
darrenr0
Options: All the extras except the sun roof

Post by darrenr0 »

Hi All

I know this post is old but I'm hoping some of you are still active on here.

My Rocco sits on the driveway all week (I get the train to work), so the battery slowly drains thanks the OEM immobiliser and cat1 alarm AND tracker installed.
It's left me stranded a couple of times with a flat battery and left me having to re recharge it using my optimate 6 charger but this takes 24-48 hours to properly replenish it.

I'm thinking of buying this solar powered 12v, 15w battery charger (http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/solar-powered ... rger-n31cx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) with the intention of leaving it on the rear parcel shelf, permanently plugged into the cigarette lighter socket in the boot. The constant daylight trickle charge back to the battery would keep her constantly topped up and will offset the drain of the aforementioned electronics running 24 hours a day.

I know this post is old but I'm hoping someone managed to find an answer to how to wire/move fuse so that the boot cigarette lighter socket is permanently connected to the battery (and not via the ignition switch)?

I did check Westy23's post over on the golfmk7 forum (http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5149" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) about making the sockets permanently live
but does anyone know how to get this working for the Scirocco? My understanding is the fuse boxes are different layouts?

Thanks all

Darren
darrenr0
Options: All the extras except the sun roof

Post by darrenr0 »

Never mind, sorted it using a piggy back fuse, spade connector, multimeter (and help from my bro and Dad :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sean__wong
In: Sumatra
Options: Lamborghini doors and flux capacitor

Post by sean__wong »

Thankks for posting, perfectly helped me work out what to do.