Sawtooth Tyre Wear

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
Sanders83
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Bi-Xenon lamps

Sawtooth Tyre Wear

Post by Sanders83 »

Hi all,

I'm currently enduring the Sawtooth issue with the rear tyres and was wondering if anyone had any info on tyres to buy/avoid in relation to the problem? I've got Continental Sport Contact 5's on the rear at the mo and they do it, but the Sport Contact 2's before didn't. I'm told Dunlop are terrible for it.

Thinking of trying Michelin or Goodyear next time they're changed with the new ones going on the rear and the old contis going on the front so I can burn the living sh*t out of them.

Any thoughts?
pyrexia
In: Deep Black

Re: Sawtooth Tyre Wear

Post by pyrexia »

l have fairly new Dunlop Sport Maxx RT's on the back of mine, the car is new to me and get a bit of "pattering" at 70-80 mph on the motorway. I suspect sawtoothing as have experienced it before in my Fabia vrs ,think they were Dunlop's ! Had considered putting the newish Continentals from the front to the back to see if there is any change ? I understand it is coursed through the caster or camber of the tyre to achieve max performance from the tyre,grip etc and some tyres are more susceptible to this than others ? Sorry I can be of no help but would like to know more of this problem.
mikealpha60
In: Candy White

Post by mikealpha60 »

I was told its caused by the wheel alignment mate. The tyres have more negative camber on the rear to give for more sporty setup. My tyre fitter offered to set up for normal use but said enthusiastic driving wouldn't be as good so left as is. If you do more straight line miles as i do then your're more likely to see this issue.

Best thing to do which is what i do is occationally rotate your tyres front to back to spread the wear out.
Sanders83
In: Rising Blue
Options: Bi-Xenon lamps

Post by Sanders83 »

I've has a good feel about on he inside edge of the tyres and it seems to be the left side tyres, both front and back. Right sides are ok.
TranceTrouble
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Reflex Silver
With a: DSG box
Options: Driving a 2.0 TSI 200PK HighLine Scirocco from 2009, Full Leather, Heated Seats, Folding Mirrors, Climate Control, RNS510, Bluetooth, Cruise Control,

Post by TranceTrouble »

like i already mentioned in the other thread, http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 60#p140487" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; i have the same problem.

The guy at the local tireshop explained to me that it has to do with the alignment, but also with the rubber the tire is made from. He told me that they see it more often with summertires then with wintertires cause wintertires are softer in general, stick therefore better to the track.

now i read this thread i wonder if using any of the adaptive chassis options will increase the wear, might ask it Saterday to the guy when the car goes in for the change.
D C
I drive a: R-Line
In: Viper Green
Options: cruise, electric seat, 19"Luganos

Post by D C »

I haven't had sawtooth wear as yet but had cracks around circumference on both fronts at less than 400 miles.
Pirelli P Zero's on 19's
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave.
TranceTrouble
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Reflex Silver
Options: Driving a 2.0 TSI 200PK HighLine Scirocco from 2009, Full Leather, Heated Seats, Folding Mirrors, Climate Control, RNS510, Bluetooth, Cruise Control,

Post by TranceTrouble »

got new tires on the back, a four wheel alignment and balancing done yesterday. The noise i was experiencing is completely gone now which im really glad off going to keep a close eye on the weir of the tires in the next few months and regularly going to check tire pressure.
beanieboy182
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Pewter Grey
Options: Cruise Control / Climate Control / LED Sidelights/ LED Interior/ LED Puddle Lights/ DAB Sat Nav/ Gloss Black Dash Trim/

Post by beanieboy182 »

i too had sawtoothed tyres (even tho i still had the original 09 dated pirelli p zeros on the back)
i recently had way too much trouble with wheel alignment on my 09 scirocco after noticing sawtooth tyres.
went to a place in bristol (protyre) which did adjust it on a john bean machine even tho i asked specifically for the hunter machine to be used (its right next to it)
on the report they dont even check a lot of things on this john bean machine so u dont even get the initial print out of all the measurements apparently because "there is no point in reading the measurement if there is no official way to adjust it" this is kinda crap because u dont know how far out these measurements are...
cut a long story short
The day after getting it done at pro tyre i was going through the measurements and realised they didnt do some of the measurements like caster which is adjustable if u move the sub frame ? (unofficial way of doing it apparently)
I took my car to imperialtyres at swinon...who actually did everything i could of ever hoped for...put it on one of two hunter machines they have there :D + showed me all of the (not so perfect at all adjustments they had and had not done...)
All adjusted even caster and got a really visual explanation of the before and after measurements.

Basically ALWAYS go to a smaller garage with a newer hunter machine which does full wheel alignment measurements + know how to do the "unofficial mods"

(dont know if this will cure the sawtooth but supposedly it is highly likely to be bad alignment on the rear axel)
I Fix things that aren't broken