Worth the upgrade to a DSG?

Everything about the R for potential owners.
xtc250
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Factory Bluetooth Hands Free

Worth the upgrade to a DSG?

Post by xtc250 »

Hello, I'm currently driving a Manual R but the opportunity has arisen for me to possibly part ex my Manual and get a DSG, I'm just wondering if it will be worth the extra money.

Would love to know your opinions :)

Dave
Scirocco R in Rising Blue
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: Worth the upgrade to a DSG?

Post by Cuprabob »

Manual vs DSG is such a personal thing that.opinuon doesn't matter. Drive the DSG and see if you.like it. It really is marmite, some love it, some hate it.

Also, DSG needs an oil and filter every 40k miles at a cost of around £200

Also DSG is very complex and if it goes wrong out of warranty it can be relatively expensive to fix. Most common failure is Mechatronics Unit which costs circa £2k to replace.
xtc250

Post by xtc250 »

I have driven both and to be honest i like both but I'm swaying more towards the DSG just for the ease of driving. I only have 1 year left on my R before i own it so not sure if i should take the hit with the DSG with the new R coming out late 2014.
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

In that case I would just wait and go for a facelift DSG in a year or so.
xtc250

Post by xtc250 »

Just for info Spec of the DSG R is...

11 Plate
19" Wheels
DVD Navigation + 30 GB Hard Drive
Bluetooth Phone Prep
Hill Hold
Cruise Control
Dynaudio Sound Pack
Folding Mirrors - i think
Cloth Seats
Rising Blue

Priced @ £21,490

Been offered £17,500 for mine P/X

Its really tempting me but I'm just not sure...
3t3p
In: Viper Green
Options: R-tech Stage 1, Forge Twin take,19'' Talladegas, Rear sensors, Heated leather, RNS510 Satnav + Dynaudio, Tinted glass, LED Interior lighting, Electric folding mirrors, Custom mats, CBI Xenons, Yellowstuff pads

Post by 3t3p »

They are different, so DSG not an 'upgrade' over manual in that regard.

I love changing gear and being more involved with what the car is doing.

I will say that the manual gears are shorter than my prev 122ps scirocco and the R munches up the revs so you change more frequently.

I also factored the cost if DSG goes wrong I don't want to pay 2-4k for a new one.

DSG Too PlayStation for me and I'm a gamer:)
SMB
In: Deep Black
With a: DSG box
Options: RNS510, Parking, Panoramic Roof, Deep Black, Heated Seats, Leather, Electric Drivers Seat, Dynaudio, 19", Colour display, Electric folding Mirrors, cruise, Parking Sensors

Post by SMB »

I've had my dsg a year now, first dsg car. The software isn't perfect but you learn to drive round the few unique behaviours. When driven in manual it's extremely rapid, but also quite relaxing. You can get that engagement in manual but the car will be at speed by then, all to often catching the car in front rapidly. Anything in traffic I use drive but that is a little frustrating on the open round, changing up too early, to get an idea change up at 1700rpm on yours. Ignore the 4k repair stuff, it's not that common now with the newer cars and repairs are cheaper now. In summary the only real way to try is to do it and live with it.
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

I was a die hard manual fan boy and just done 4k in a 7R DSG and a convert as is the wife

I don't think a test drive sells it give it a week and you learn how to use it

Some say they enjoy changing gear and I was one, now I much prefer two hands on the wheel and easing the paddles to make progress

I have to admit launch control in a 7R and seeing 60 in 5 seconds is oddly un eventful
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
Sincs
In: Candy White
Options: Leathers, Dynaudio, Bluetooth Premium, Talladega 19's

Post by Sincs »

I'm yet to meet someone who has dsg but wishes they could go back to manual.
James321
Options: REVO Stage 2+, Bilstein B16 iRC, Supalloy Wishbones, Akrapovic Carbon Exhaust, Revo Intake, EuroJet Intercooler. (Wife's car)
I'm in an RS5

Post by James321 »

I notice most of the posts not in favour of the DSG are from manual box owners :)

If you liked the DSG box on a test drive then chances are you will really like it if you do for the car, it's the best of both worlds, you can be lazy, leave it in D and let it do it's business which usually means it will fly through the gears quickly not getting above 3k revs. One more click down on the stick and you're in S which really holds on to the gear up to the red line if you're pushing on, gives a nice blip of the throttle on down shifts and makes the car feel quite aggressive.
In manual mode you can either use the paddles or the stick to change when you want (it will step in if you really need to shift gear in a self protection kind of way).
Ultimately a DSG equipped R is quicker 0 - 60 than a manual R due to the much faster shifting.

I collect my RS5 next week which has a 7 speed DSG, I don't think I would buy a car without it now, that's how much I like it and I am a hater of auto boxes.

Do it, you'll love it.
RS5, Scirocco R. You can never have enough R's
Berto
In: Candy White
Options: bits n bobs

Post by Berto »

First had DSG box in my previous R32 and didn't consider not having it when getting the Scirocco...I won't go back to a manual in a vag car....
3t3p
In: Viper Green
Options: R-tech Stage 1, Forge Twin take,19'' Talladegas, Rear sensors, Heated leather, RNS510 Satnav + Dynaudio, Tinted glass, LED Interior lighting, Electric folding mirrors, Custom mats, CBI Xenons, Yellowstuff pads

Post by 3t3p »

I didn't get on with DSG in a test drive but as others saying perhaps more time is needed.

I can see how there are many benefits but the scirocco is so refined as it is I feared it would be boring to have an auto box.
xtc250

Post by xtc250 »

Sorry I've been a bit quiet... The DSG definitely has its plus points and I'm sure I would get along with it fine. Might go have to pay the dealer a visit and see what deal i can get.
fun meter
In: Deep Black
Options: MY12, 19" wheels, Leather, RNS510, Cruise, Bluetooth, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Premium mats, MDI...

Post by fun meter »

DSG is very good. I got an R DSG after having a manual 2.0 TSI and was unsure as I am a 'drivers' driver. The test drive exceeded my expections and I bought the car.

If I didnt have DSG, i probably wouldnt have enjoyed the car any where near as much. Its great every day, its great for sporty driving and I didnt have any issues on track. Sure, it doesnt let the engine rev higher than ~6700 rpm - but the power drops off after 6500 so I generally use to change up. The downshifts and up shifts sound really good with DSG, espcially once its all bedded in.

Your driving also adjusts to the DSG, you have to be more gentle with the throttle. But it does adpat to your driving style.

Try it, see what you think. I wont be going back to a manual car again to be honest.