Is it a coupe or a hatchback?

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.

Is it a coupe or a hatchback

It's a coupe
50%
It's a hatchback
50%

Total votes: 70

Evil Derboy
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box
Options: Leather • Nav

Is it a coupe or a hatchback?

Post by Evil Derboy »

Last edited by Evil Derboy on Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Re: Is it a coupe or a hatchback?

Post by wigit »

we've been down this route before, still a hatch back to me :lol:
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
Candy Monster
In: Candy White
Options: Leather, Parking Sensors, Electric Folding Mirrors, Flat Tyre Indicator, DVD Nav, Premium Sills, Alloy pedals, Boot Liner, Custom GT Mats, GT badge, 20s, Cruise, R32 trim, Silver 'A pieces', debadged, White VW badges, Eibach springs, Revo, custom enginge cover, custom air dam, orange rub strips

Post by Candy Monster »

its a sleek hatch. to me a coupe technically has 2 doors and a separate (non hatch type) boot. I like to think of it as a coupe though :p
shooms
In: Rising Blue
Options: Pano sunroof, Dynaudio, premium sills, metal pedals & alu gear-knob.

Post by shooms »

CTRnutter
In: Reflex Silver
With a: DSG box
Options: Winter Pack, Leather, Alu Pedals, GT Steering Wheel Badge, Side Sills, Superchips Re-Map, Milltek Non-Res, K&N Induction Kit

Post by CTRnutter »

shooms wrote:Image

Here's the original thread lol

http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 6085#p6085
:D :nod:
Car is now Sold!!!!! BMW 7 Series for now as nice and big but holding out for something a little special as my toy :)
albertz33
In: Viper Green
Options: dab radio, dynaudio speakers

Post by albertz33 »

Oh god no :eyepop: not again!!!! :cry:
jc74
In: Pewter Grey
With a: DSG box
Options: Cruise Control, Leather, Sunroof, DVD Satnav, Parking Sensors

Post by jc74 »

Candy Monster wrote:its a sleek hatch. to me a coupe technically has 2 doors and a separate (non hatch type) boot. I like to think of it as a coupe though :p
Surely by your definition, an Audi TT is also a hatchback?
dodds98
In: Reflex Silver
Options: Leather, Mats, Telephone prep, Dynaudio, Cruise control, Flat tyre indicator, Winter pack, Folding mirrors, Premium sills, Stainless steel pedals and Luggage tray

Post by dodds98 »

From Wikipedia

"A coupé or coupe (from the French verb couper, to cut) is a closed car body style, the precise definition of which varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, and over time. Coupés are often hardtopped sports cars or sporty variants of sedan (also known as saloon; see American and British English spelling differences) body styles, with doors commonly reduced from 4 to 2, and a close-coupled interior (i.e. the rear seat placed further forward than in a standard sedan) offering either two seats or 2+2 seating (space for two passengers in the front and two occasional passengers or children in the rear). Before the days of motorized vehicles, the word referred to the front or after compartment of a Continental stagecoach."
Candy Monster
In: Candy White
Options: Leather, Parking Sensors, Electric Folding Mirrors, Flat Tyre Indicator, DVD Nav, Premium Sills, Alloy pedals, Boot Liner, Custom GT Mats, GT badge, 20s, Cruise, R32 trim, Silver 'A pieces', debadged, White VW badges, Eibach springs, Revo, custom enginge cover, custom air dam, orange rub strips

Post by Candy Monster »

jc74 wrote:
Candy Monster wrote:its a sleek hatch. to me a coupe technically has 2 doors and a separate (non hatch type) boot. I like to think of it as a coupe though :p
Surely by your definition, an Audi TT is also a hatchback?
Yeah I guess so and probably a celica too? Is the roc a two door or a three door? You could get into the car from the back (not that you'd want to, lol). Dont know about the TT.... Or is the TT a fastback? to me if the car is a true 3 door its a hatchback but i suppose its also to do with the body profile. Oh and the seats, a TT is more of a 2+2, whereas the roc is a 4 seater.

Best stick to the full definition from dodds, this thread could go on and on.
Evil Derboy
In: Deep Black
Options: Leather • Nav

Post by Evil Derboy »

Last edited by Evil Derboy on Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
greenstick
In: Rising Blue
Options: Black Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB Radio, Folding Mirrors, Carpet Mats, Flat Tyre Sensor, Smokers Pack

Post by greenstick »

Evil Derboy wrote:
Remember... Wikipedia is always right. :D
I agree

From Wikipedia

Hatchbacks are often described as three-door (two entry doors and the hatch) or five-door (four entry doors and the hatch) cars. In Europe, city cars, superminis, and small family cars are usually hatchbacks.

Small cars often incorporate a hatch tailgate to make the best use of available space. Especially in smaller models, hatchbacks are often truncated, with the tailgate nearly vertical, to reduce the car's footprint. This is an important consideration in countries where small streets and traffic congestion are big factors (see for instance the Japanese Kei cars).

Hatchbacks frequently include fold-down rear seats, which enable a substantial portion of the interior space to be used as a cargo area. Usually, the rear seat can be folded partially (for instance 1/2, 1/3 or 2/3) or completely to expand the cargo space.

Hatchbacks typically have a parcel shelf: a rigid shelf covering the cargo space that is hinged behind the rear seats and lifts with the tailgate. An alternative is a flexible roll-up tonneau cover.

So it's a hatchback (and yes, I have left some lines out to reinforce my argument...)

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Don't really care what you call it, but if someone put one in front of me, and I'd never seen one before, I'd have said it was a hatch.
wigit

Post by wigit »

fight......

estate agents would call it a coupe (thats if there are any estate agents left)
dangermouse

Post by dangermouse »

Shooms it looks like you could have got away with a smaller can....
alex

Post by alex »

It's a coupé hatchback. ;)
robjones23
In: Sumatra
Options: Winter pack, Met paint

Post by robjones23 »

wigit

Post by wigit »

more shooting brake if you ask me, if they had made the TT shooting brake would it be called a coupe