Transferring music to HDD

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
Blueroc
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box
Options: Sat Nav, Leather Upholstery, Winter Pack, DVD/Dynaudio, Electric Folding Mirrors,
Cruise Control, Bi Xenon Headlights, Parking Sensors

Transferring music to HDD

Post by Blueroc »

I have had my car for just over a week now and have learnt most of the functions of DVD/Sat Nav system with the exception of how to transfer music to the HDD.

Having browsed this forum it would appear that music can only be transferred using an SD card.

It cannot be transferred using an iPod or by copying a commercial music CD.

Can anyone please confirm that this is correct please?

Regards

Dave
jc74
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Pewter Grey
With a: DSG box
Options: Cruise Control, Leather, Sunroof, DVD Satnav, Parking Sensors

Re: Transferring music to HDD

Post by jc74 »

Yes, you cannot transfer music from USB, or iPod, since it seems to be seen as an MDI device which I presume does not allow direct files copies.

Note, that you can copy from:-
SD cards
DVD-R, DVD-RW and DVD-R DL

The annoying thing is that if you copy this DVD or SD directly, it will make it's own folder, and copying a 2nd DVD or SD will result in it being copied into a new directory name.

Has anyone else noticed how painfully slow it is to copy files off SD or DVD?? I estimate it would take at least an hour to copy 8Gb from a DL DVD. The biggest problem I have, is that you have to wait in the car with the key in the ignition whilst it's copying or the system seems to shut itself down after a while.
Does anyone have any suggestions of how to complete the copy process? - leaving the car unattended with the keys in the ignition is not an option! I'd also rather not just sit in the car for an hour or two waiting for the files to copy!
I can see now why the HD only has 18Gb free - it's hard enough to fill the first few Gb as it is!