2 months in rusty brake discs!

Info about the best cleaning products and detailing.
panhandle
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box
Options: Everything bar the panoramic..

2 months in rusty brake discs!

Post by panhandle »

Any suggestions, as I havent cleaned them they are just starting to go nasty.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shaun
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Reflex Silver
Options: RNS510, DSG, leather, 19" Talladega's, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, front covered cup holder, rear cup holders, piano black cubby hole, Audi R8 oil cap

Re: 2 months in rusty brake discs!

Post by Shaun »

You can paint them, it's what I did, some VW dealers are known to do them for fussy customers too but I would rather do it myself.
RoxyRocco
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: Revo stage 1, covered cup holder, covered cubby hole

Post by RoxyRocco »

Have you been driving enough!? :D
They're only cast iron so it's not surprising to see rust on any disc if there outside and not used...
maisbitt
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Parking Sensors, Smokers Pack (for aesthetics), R gearstick, R pedals, Sliding cup holder cover.

Post by maisbitt »

I think panhandle is talking about the disc hubs Roxy, not the parts of the disc that contact the pads during braking. These can rust over quite quickly. They didn't rust at all on my last Roc (MY09), but at less than a month old, the ones on my new car have started to rust.
2013 - Tornado Red MK7 Golf GTD on order
2011-2013 - Rising Blue 170GT
2009-2011 - Pewter Roc 140GT
2007-2009 - Tornado Red Golf 170TDI GT
2005-2007 - Black Pearl Golf 140TDI GT
2003-2005 - Black Pearl Polo 1.9TDI
sciroccoowner52
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 122/125
In: Night Blue
Options: Vienna Truffle Leather Sports Seats, In-Built Heated Front Seats, 17" Alloys

Post by sciroccoowner52 »

This topic was made a while ago but it's still relevant - I think it's ridiculous that Scirocco brake discs should rust no matter how often/little the car is driven. The discs should not be made from a metal which rusts easily and the suppliers are a joke to produce them for such a good quality car. I'll be the first to admit that my Scirocco does not get driven daily but the fact that all 4 discs are terribly rusty after only one year annoys me. Whether it means re-painting them, asking volkswagen for new discs or just living with the fact that I have a stunning car with unattractive and clearly seeable rusted discs, we shall wait and i'll keep you updated!
elande
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: DCC, Scorpion Cat-Back, R Converted front, Dectane LED tail-lights.

Post by elande »

So you do understand why the discs are made of Iron right?
Iron has a very high melting temperature which is good if you are planing applying heat to them..
Also iron is cheeper then other materials that could sustain the temperatures involved.
Iron rusts quickly, but its only a thin coat which will be removed as soon as you go for a drive.

So unless you want to buy some carbon ceramic ones i think you will have to live with it..
..or just drive it more, which should not be a problem since they are so fun to drive :D
bitmadmax

Post by bitmadmax »

Rusty hubs seem to be a problem on every VW I have owned and seen. You can paint them, but even then will probably rust through again eventually.
Golf 7R
Gone: Scirocco R
VCDS available
b0rk
In: Candy White
Options: Used to have an R...

Post by b0rk »

If your planning to paint you should wire brush the rust off the hub and only stop once the surface is fully free from rust then paint front and back with suitable a high temperature paint. Factory dipping with a high temperature paint then grinding the front and rear friction surfaces would solve the problem of rusty hubs, edges and internal structure for light users but a heavy user would still find the paint flaking off due to heat.

Non metallic discs or two part discs and alu hats are only real solutions to not having rusty hubs. , carbon-ceramic discs at a couple of k each soon makes it obvious why fitment is limited to very expensive cars..
polo2002
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150

Post by polo2002 »

I cleaned mine with brake clean and a scotchbrite pad and painted them with an aerosol of silver hammerite. I did my Golf with the same and in 3 years it never burned or rusted off, and the Scirocco has been fine for 12 months.
alanr
I drive a: R-Line
In: Indium Grey
Options: GT 2.0 TDI 184 tdi r line. Black addition

Post by alanr »

buy the POR 15 kit includes rust killer

just done mine very pleased

treated the brake disc with the rust prep not come back yet ,used to come back after two day been 3 weeks now