knocking noise at biting point...flywheel issue?

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
jamieg85
In: Reflex Silver
With a: Manual box

knocking noise at biting point...flywheel issue?

Post by jamieg85 »

Hi all,

Has anyone experienced a knocking noise when holding at biting point. Its particularly loud when doing a hill start other than that it drives fine.

Just after some advice really, the car has covered 29k and its a 2008 2.0tsi. I have done a search on google and found a similar thread with a similar issue saying it maybe the dual mass flywheel?

I havn't had a chance to go to a garage yet but thought i'd ask if anyone has had a similar issue so I can have an idea what it may be and anything i can check myself?

Thanks in advance.
bitmadmax

Re: knocking noise at biting point...flywheel issue?

Post by bitmadmax »

Let us know how you get on - mine has just recently started doing this very slightly, you can also feel it through the pedal.

PS, isn't dual mass flywheel specific to DSG equipped models?
Golf 7R
Gone: Scirocco R
VCDS available
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

cakebandit wrote:
PS, isn't dual mass flywheel specific to DSG equipped models?
Nope, manuals have them too. Their purpose is to smooth out torque at low revs on higher torque engines.
Shaun
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Reflex Silver
With a: DSG box
Options: RNS510, DSG, leather, 19" Talladega's, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, front covered cup holder, rear cup holders, piano black cubby hole, Audi R8 oil cap

Post by Shaun »

I had something similar on my old edition 30, it wasnt so much a bang but a feeling through the pedal, VW even changed the Dual mass flywheel and the clutch and this didnt solve it, a few people solved it by adding the dog bone mount to the engine.
Jay-2Tsi
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
Options: Considering the following:
APR Stage 1 remap
K&N Induction Kit
Performance Exhaust System (specifics undecided)
18" or 19" Alloy's, painted white.

Post by Jay-2Tsi »

Just noticed this on my (second hand) '09 2.0tsi and being honest I couldn't be sure if it was like this when I got it or not. I got it from a reputable dealer and it last got serviced in Feb of this year. It also came with 12 months MOT and according to the dealer, they look over each and every car they buy (and sell). So I'm guessing there's no real fault as such, just annoying when you feel it through the pedal :-(

Did anyone get any further diagnosis on this?
Replies greatly appreciated :-)
bitmadmax

Post by bitmadmax »

Mine hasn't got any worse. It's in for a service next month so I'll ask them about it when it goes in.
Golf 7R
Gone: Scirocco R
VCDS available
Shorum
In: Shadow Blue
Options: Dynaudio

Post by Shorum »

Mine does this too '09 2.0Tsi with 33k. I assumed the clutch was on its way out and figured I'd ignore it until it went!

It's been like it for the past 4/5k and hasn't got any worse. I notice it less in "sport" mode though...
selleym
In: Deep Black
Options: Mirror Pack

Mods:
Bonnet Struts
Metal Pedals

Post by selleym »

Sorry to revive an old thread! But did anyone ever find if this was an issue? Or if they found a solution?
Thanks
Rocco_87
In: Viper Green
Options: Leather Seats, Lumbar Support, Xenon Lights, Parking Sensors, Panoramic Sunroof

Post by Rocco_87 »

I'm glad you've brought that up. Mine 09 2.0 is doing it, also seems a lot worse when it's cold and going up an incline. Also a manual
The VIPER is watching

breakfreakay
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Candy White

Post by breakfreakay »

Hey, just wondering if anyone found a solution to this. Ive just recently bought a scirocco R and noticed this problem. You can hear this noise when taking off in first gear at the biting point and especially when climbing up an incline when you're still on the clutch. The noise sounds like when you are trying to take off while hill assist is on, a rumbling sort of noise. I have my car booked in to the mechanic this week and hopefully it's nothing too serious.