Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 tyre - 2 types

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
atce
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Reflex Silver
With a: DSG box

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 tyre - 2 types

Post by atce »

Hi all,

I am currently searching for some new tyres and having looked at various reviews may well go for the Goodyear Eagles.
Whilst checking prices I have noticed that there seems to be two variations of the 235/40 R 18 95Y Asymmetric 2 tyre, each with a different EAN (bar code) number that have marked differences in both the wet grip and noise level catagories.
The Goodyear UK website confirms this to be the case but doesn't give any further information as to why.

Can anyone throw any more light on this?

Thanks
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 tyre - 2 types

Post by Cuprabob »

They both have different suffixes "R1" vs "F0". This suffix normally relates to a particular car manufacturers OEM fitment

I would buy the one with the best wet grip performance.
mr_patrick_bateman
In: Candy White
Options: Winter pack

Post by mr_patrick_bateman »

Had this when i was buying f1 asymmetric 2's, they are different compounds the r1 suffix is the latest compound, hope this helps.
lewis
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
Options: metalic paint & winter pack

Post by lewis »

Hello Atce..

I am looking to replace my two front tyres – currently Pirelli P Zero’s.

Have researched the various tyre tests etc and have decided to buy the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric – So, would be most interested to hear if you bought/fitted these tyres – and your comments - including cost.

Regards

Jeff
atce

Post by atce »

Hi Jeff,

Just had the car MOT'd and had a good look at the tyres while it was on the ramp. Seems thay still have a good few thousand miles left in them so probably won't be buying any for a while as I don't do that many miles. Will probably still go for the Goodyears, prices seem to be around £165 a corner fitted.
lewis

Post by lewis »

Hi atce

Yes, my MOT looms at the end of June – hence prompting new tyres to the front.

Always a bit of a gamble when changing from one make to another. To be fair to the Pirelli’s – they have worn well – but are quite noisy.

The price you quote is as expected.

Many Thanks

Jeff
atce

Post by atce »

Hi Jeff,

If you do go for the Goodyears would be interested to know what you think of them.

Graham
lewis

Post by lewis »

Hi Graham...

Yes, no problem - should be getting them within the next couple of weeks.

Ps. I note that you are one of the very few who have Reflex Silver - almost rare !

Regards

Jeff
atce

Post by atce »

Thanks Jeff, look forward to reading what you think about them.

Now you mention it I don't see that many silver Scirocco's about, I rather like the colour.

Graham
carlpea

Post by carlpea »

lewis wrote:Hi Graham...

Yes, no problem - should be getting them within the next couple of weeks.

Ps. I note that you are one of the very few who have Reflex Silver - almost rare !

Regards

Jeff
/cough

:)
lewis

Post by lewis »

Hi carlpea

You see ! ! other colours simply make you cough !

Jeff
jalihodriver
I drive a: R-Line
In: Pewter Grey

Post by jalihodriver »

Hi!

I used to have the Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric 2 (215/40 R17) on my Clio RS III (197cv). Good tires!! Very quiet (low dB's) and excellent grip and great @breaking and turning! Unfortunately I drove them only 7,000km and then I sold the car. Very good experience on my side.

BTW, the noise level on the Cinturato P7 coming with my Scirocco is annoying!
lewis

Post by lewis »

HI atce - Graham.

Ok, Goodyear Eagle F1 235/40/R18 95Y XL ordered yesterday (29th April) arrived 11am this-morning – fitted 13.00hrs today.

Cost: Bought through Camskill at £131.95 each (on offer)(2) plus £5.98 delivery (for two)

Fitment: £10.00 each inclusive at local tyre centre.

So, total: including delivery, fitment £289.88

Not a bad price – however, my local tyre seller/fitter would have charged £300 all in – so overall not a huge saving.

• A note of caution if you buy direct from Camskill web page – there are two tyres of the same size etc BUT one has the letters (FO) after the size and is a couple of pounds cheaper – so I rang to make certain of the correct tyre for the Scirocco – and was told that the tyre marked with (FO) is FORD ONLY fitment !

Link for Camskill:http://www.camskill.co.uk/m61b0s322p0/C ... _235_40R18

Have now travelled approx. 30 miles so much too early to offer comment – BUT the noise factor is not an improvement over the Pirelli’s. (I think that their noise rating is the same)

Regards

Jeff
atce

Post by atce »

Hi Jeff,

Glad you got your tyres sorted, pretty good price too :)

Very confusing having same size tyres but for different vehicles, don't think Goodyear are the only ones though.
Was wondering how easy it is to tell one type from the other - were your tyres labelled as such so you knew that Camskill had supplied the correct ones, would be handy to know. The noise for the 'R1' is 70db and the 'F0' is 72db, I trust you got the right ones! :rolleyes:

Look forward to your thoughts on the tyres after you have done some miles on them

Graham
lewis

Post by lewis »

Hi Graham…

Yes, the ones I bought are the correct tyre for the Scirocco – the chap at Camskill was very good and warned if the wrong tyres (FO – Ford only) were fitted – then it could cause a problem with an insurance claim. They are simply not designed for any other rim other than Ford.

This confirms the comment from Cuprabob in his earlier link.

But just looking for tyres on the web – it would be very easy to make a mistake and order just from tyre size etc.

Just in case, I did ask my local tyre fitter (whom I have used many times before) to confirm the comment from Camskill – and he fully agreed – having fitted many Goodyear F1’s to several makes of car.

Will keep you posted about the use of the F1’s.

Regards

Jeff
yellowplum
In: Deep Black
Options: Truffel Leather, 19" Wheels, DVD Sat Nav, Xenon Lights, Bluetooth Phone, Parking Sensors, Drivers Electric Seat, Electric Fold-able Mirrors, Winter Pack, Hill Hold, Flat Tyre Indicator - added VW Racing Springs, and changed Bluetooth to newer model.

Post by yellowplum »

Tyre choices so much fun - brings back a memory - Pirelli's are not bad, noisy I would agree but then I don't think we would notice much of a difference considering, especially if you have 19" wheels. Apart from if you have the apetite to shop around prices are pretty much the same I in most places. It used to be true (when the € was at a better rate) you could import them from Germany or France at cheaper prices. Now that isn't the case so much.

I ended up with Hankook EVO S1's last time and manged to get them for £131 for a corner, Goodyear is more like £189 each for a 19" - strange though never had Hankooks before and after a few reviews including a sway from ADAC thought I would try them and they are quite good.

Has anyone ever tried Costco for tyres?
Mark V

Post by Mark V »

Last time i used Costco they only did Michelin!
yellowplum
In: Deep Black
Options: Truffel Leather, 19" Wheels, DVD Sat Nav, Xenon Lights, Bluetooth Phone, Parking Sensors, Drivers Electric Seat, Electric Fold-able Mirrors, Winter Pack, Hill Hold, Flat Tyre Indicator - added VW Racing Springs, and changed Bluetooth to newer model.

Post by yellowplum »

Thought so, but are they cheap? or just normal with everything?
Cuprabob
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

Mark V wrote:Last time i used Costco they only did Michelin!
Mainly Michelins but my local one has a small selection of BF Goodrich too.
atce

Post by atce »

yellowplum wrote:Thought so, but are they cheap? or just normal with everything?
Checked a couple of weeks ago and the price for Michelins for my car were about the same as online prices. They occasionally have a 25% off sale but only if you buy 4 tyres at the same time.