Fan Problems

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
HelenTowler
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Viper Green
With a: DSG box
Options: Heated Leather Seats, Sat Nav & Parking Sensors

Fan Problems

Post by HelenTowler »

Hi All

I am new to this forum but just wondered if anybody had had problems with a noisy fan?
I got my new car in October 2012 and every so often when I switch the engine off the fan is on even after a short journey and it's so so loud plus there is a bit of a burning smell, it also stays on for ages. I thought at first it was because it was new but it did it again yesterday after literally a 1 mile journey home from work (yes I know I am lazy). Because it is so intermittent I am reluctant to take it into the dealer in case he thinks I am a "blonde clueless woman"
RisingRoc
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: 2 Zone Air Con, Alloy pedals, Luxury Mats, Chrome Exhaust Tips, Rear Cup Holder, HKB Door Sills, Full LED pack

Re: Fan Problems

Post by RisingRoc »

Hi Helen

I take it you can only hear the fan when you turn off the engine? If so, it sounds quite normal. Mine does it too occasionally, especially if it's been driven hard. Can't remember if its the engine cooling down or the DPF working on a bit, either way, nothing to be too concerned about.

The burning smell sounds a bit odd though. Given it's within waranty, a trip to the dealers will give you the piece of mind.
aesmidz
In: Candy White

Post by aesmidz »

If you only doing short journeys it could be trying to clear the diesel particulate filter, hence the burning smell, maybe a 20 mile trip will fix the problem
breadman
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Candy White
Options: Pana roof,Dynaudio,DAB,Rear parking sensors

Post by breadman »

Same here, mine does this after a 12 mile dash to work at 05:30 in the morning and no traffic using A roads & motorway , but I don't get the burning smell on the return journey at night ?
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

You do get a burning smell due to the increase in exhaust temperature when the DPF is doing a regeneration. If you turn the engine off before the DPF has finished regenerating, the fans remain on for around 5 mns to assist with dissipating the heat.

From your description, it sounds as if everything is fine and doing what it's supposed to.
Polar
I drive a: R-Line
In: Salsa Red

Post by Polar »

Thanks for this. I have noticed the same issue - glad to have the reassurance that it is fine.