Rising Blue Project

Everything about the R for potential owners.
James321
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box
Options: REVO Stage 2+, Bilstein B16 iRC, Supalloy Wishbones, Akrapovic Carbon Exhaust, Revo Intake, EuroJet Intercooler. (Wife's car)
I'm in an RS5

Rising Blue Project

Post by James321 »

Well the R is coming up to 8 months old and 10k miles so its time to treat it to some much needed performance upgrades.
The suspension was improved the month I picked the car up with some Bilstein B16 RC coilovers

To further enhance the handling and reduce the unsprung weight I've gone for a set of the SuperAlloy wishbones

These are claimed to be 40% lighter than the standard wishbones which I can believe, they do feel very light. They also add some caster by offsetting the rear mounting
They have camber adjustment via the slotted mounting holes for the ball joint.

The first part of the exhaust has arrived, I went for the Akropovic back box with carbon tips, the down pipe will be EuroJet with a 200 cell sports cat.
The quality of the Akropovic system is amazing, Yes it's not a cheap back box but I'll let the pictures show you the quality of the unit.

The welds are lovely

Next to come is the EuroJet front mount intercooler, Revo intake, Revo dog bone mount and Revo stage II.

I also have the Podi R boost gauge with dash pod on its way over.

I'll post up pics as the bits turn up.
Last edited by James321 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RS5, Scirocco R. You can never have enough R's
BenBAC
In: Candy White

Re: Rising Blue Project

Post by BenBAC »

Great write up James and good pics, car seems be coming along nicely :-)
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

That zorst is a work of art
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
b0rk
Options: Used to have an R...

Post by b0rk »

Is that back box all hand welded? love the strain relief stiffeners welded to the split joint real quality work. What is likely cost in £££ if you don't mind me asking. I know Akropovic produce some very high end bespoke motorsport systems but never realised they had a compatible road system out.
James321
Options: REVO Stage 2+, Bilstein B16 iRC, Supalloy Wishbones, Akrapovic Carbon Exhaust, Revo Intake, EuroJet Intercooler. (Wife's car)
I'm in an RS5

Post by James321 »

Hi b0rk,
They also make the front pipe from turbo back to mate up to this back box but it doesn't contain any extra silencers and is hideously expensive for what is just a pipe. That's why I opted for the EuroJet downpipe with Cat to mate to this back box.
As for price, are you sitting down...it's £1050 for the rear system!! I know I know, you can buy a complete Miltek for that but I fell in love with those carbon tips. Sadly I have later found out you can buy the tips separately and add them to any system you like but hey, it's done and I'm sure it will sound great.
youngbuck

Post by youngbuck »

looking good!
where did you find the SuperAlloy wishbones?
uros15
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
With a: Manual box

Post by uros15 »

The suspension was improved the month I picked the car up with some Bilstein B16 RC coilovers
Coul you tell me the price of those? I'm interesed in kw same suspension? Are those suitiable for DCC system?
James321
I'm in an RS5

Post by James321 »

No these don't plug into the DCC system, it is a stand alone with its own control box.

Price is around £1500 so similar to the KW kit. They are very good and I highly recommend them but KW also make some very good suspension units that are compatible with the DCC system.
uros15
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140

Post by uros15 »

Thanks fof reply, I'm looking for KW with "plug and play" system for DCC, but they are 2300 eurosi in Slovenia...a little bit too much:)

Otherwise great car :)
b0rk
Options: Used to have an R...

Post by b0rk »

James321 wrote:Hi b0rk,
They also make the front pipe from turbo back to mate up to this back box but it doesn't contain any extra silencers and is hideously expensive for what is just a pipe. That's why I opted for the EuroJet downpipe with Cat to mate to this back box.
As for price, are you sitting down...it's £1050 for the rear system!! I know I know, you can buy a complete Miltek for that but I fell in love with those carbon tips.
Well £1050 isn't that bad for the rear section considering the quality of work a full Milltek TBE is £1400 to £1700 parts only depending on the level of discount negotiated. It wouldn't surprise me if Akropovic backbox plus Euroject downpipe and cat ended up similar in cost to Milltek TBE.
What does it sound like?
James321
I'm in an RS5

Post by James321 »

Still not fitted yet, waiting for all the parts to come in then I'll get it all done, should be around two weeks time.

The guys fitting it will be taking some pics of the install and a video of how it sounds so I'm sure this will be posted up on youtube but I'll deffo get it up on here.
James321
I'm in an RS5

Post by James321 »

She gone under the knife!!

Popping in to see the work in progress tomorrow so I'll get some pics posted up.
wigit

Post by wigit »

James321 wrote:She gone under the knife!!

Popping in to see the work in progress tomorrow so I'll get some pics posted up.
Spotted your car on the Revo fans Facebook page
James321
I'm in an RS5

Post by James321 »

Oh really? Do you have a link to it Wigit, I've had a search but couldn't find anything.

Not to worry, I found it.

https://www.facebook.com/RevoTechnikUAE?ref=nf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James321
I'm in an RS5

Post by James321 »

Ok, popped in today to see the work in progress. The front wishbones are fitted:

You can also see the EuroJet down pipe in this picture, the exhaust is being modded slightly as for some reason the UAE cars have a different centre section so it had to be cut to fit correctly.

The intercooler is fitted although I can't get a picture of it as it fits in the standard location.

The lower engine mount is in:

Fuel pump, Revo inlet and HKS spark plugs are fitted. Apparently it needed some cooler plugs and I'm not arguing with them.
Tomorrow it will have the software update and a chassis alignment after the wishbones. Anyone know of a good fast road geometry for the Scirocco, I was thinking of a little extra negative camber at the front to see if we can't get rid of some of the understeer.

I'll get some more pictures of the finished project tomorrow.
James321
I'm in an RS5

Post by James321 »

I've had the car back for 3 days now so I'll give a bit of a report but I'm not sure it's fully adjusted to the new map yet.
I'll break it down into mods:
REVO Induction Kit - a very nice neat installation which has been well thought out, the inlet tube is ceramic coated to reduce heat, the filter it self is separated from the engine by a metal heat shield which has foam edges to create a good seal against the closed bonnet.
There is some more noise in the cabin, not too intrusive but you certainly hear the turbo spool and the dump valve operating with the radio off. You can't hear it even with the radio on at low volume.
I think I may have an issue with the factory dump valve, I'm getting a fluttering when I put my foot down and the boost creeps up.

AKRAPOVIC Exhaust - a lovely piece of kit, the sound is just right, it only intrudes in the cabin at 1500 to 2300rpm, after that its a really nice sounding system, no droning at motorway speed and when you floor it :D it sounds lovely.
The carbon tips look great, really finishes off the rear end.

REVO Dog-Bone Mount - I'm not sold on this one and unsure if it will stay on the car. The gear change is great now, it really sorts that out and reduces wheel hop BUT I'm not sure if the cabin vibration is too much for a road car, the cabin does vibrate quite a bit on idle. I am however going to chat with my REVO expert and see if he can up the idle speed to 950rpm as at the moment it feels too low and I believe it's causing the vibration.

SUPERALLOY Wishbones - These are a must have item for all Golf and Rocco owners, the ride is amazing, the steering response and turn in is really improved and it also firms up the steering nicely, you can really feel what the front is doing instead of the sometimes artificial feel VW created. Ask Santa for these, you will love them!

Intercooler, Downpipe, Fuel Pump and HKS plugs - they are on there and I'm sure doing their thing but hard to review them.

REVO Stage 2+ A really nice spread of torque with a huge surge around 3000rpm, this is a summer map I have on it at the moment so it runs less ignition than a standard REVO 2+ to protect against the heat, it certainly makes the car very drivable and pretty insane if you give it full beans in 2nd gear.
Down side, the DSG isn't quite sure what to do! If you have it in manual then it holds the gears and feels quick, Drive mode it will kick down which ruins the experience as it slips the clutch to feed in the torque, Sport mode is good as it holds the revs.

Overall it's a good combination of mods, the car is a real drivers car now but still retains comfort and low noise to make it a good day to day driver. My only concern it the engine mount but I'll give it a few months to see if it breaks in any and softens up.
I'm very surprised at how well the tyres cope with the torque, only in 1st does it light them up but even then it's just a quick squeak and away it goes. I think this could be again down to high temps and the road surface being warm to help the tyres. The situation should improve when I fit the Michelin PSS as soon as they arrive here in the UAE.

I'll add some photos at the weekend, the car is going to an open day advertising REVO Products, etc at Park Ferme (the guys who did the work) here in Dubai so an ideal opportunity to get some good snaps.
wigit

Post by wigit »

maybe worth getting them to recheck the mount, this is from Revo facebook site, mounts are subjective but on the Golf they are less intrusive than the vibratechnic ones i had
when excessive vibration is present it is quite often related to the mounts being tightened up when the engine isn't settled in it's normal position so they're under lateral load even when the engine isn't running!
snapey

Post by snapey »

With regards to the geo set up, here's what mine is running with TT arms and superpro bushing (changed from a WALK):

Certainly goes like a mother fucker now.
Mltyson89
Options: Sat nav, phone prep & iPod connection, Decatane led tail lights, VW cup spoiler, Black badges, rotiform 19's, Scorpion decat exhaust, Forge twin cooler, induction, blow off valve, APRacing brakes, Sasch clutch upgrade, MSS Lowering Kit, Wavetec LSD, Loba HPFP & stage 2+ Revo Software.

Post by Mltyson89 »

All this on the standard clutch? I was thinking of going to 2+ but the clutch is quiet an expensive buy, how much we're the wish bones including fitting if you don't mind me asking?
Chungster
Options: One of the 1st Roc R owners in the UK :)

Post by Chungster »

He has the DSG semi auto box - which seems able to take up to 450bhp with no problems