strange engine noise

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
john_w
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: rns510,pan roof,heated leather,side lights as drl,led side lights,led number plate,mtec white bulbs,full led interior,black vw badges,covered cup holder, smoking pack,osir boost gauge pod with autogauge,slimline sub built in with spare wheel,infinity kappa speakers and tweeters,carbon wing mirrors.

strange engine noise

Post by john_w »

Hi all, my 2.0 tsi has started making a strange noise at around 4-5000 rpm it sounds like a shriek or a squeel. It doesn't particularly sound mechanical but i doubt it could be made by something electronic but i dont know! It doesn't seem to effect the performance and there are no warning lights coming on but there is definitely something not right! Any suggestions would be appreciated :) cheers, john
john_w
Options: rns510,pan roof,heated leather,side lights as drl,led side lights,led number plate,mtec white bulbs,full led interior,black vw badges,covered cup holder, smoking pack,osir boost gauge pod with autogauge,slimline sub built in with spare wheel,infinity kappa speakers and tweeters,carbon wing mirrors.

Re: strange engine noise

Post by john_w »

anyone?! :)
skyblues11
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: cruise control, front foglight, Multi.f.steering wheel,
tyre indicator

Post by skyblues11 »

if you can, record the sound because it will help you when you take the car to the garage. Sometimes faults are hard to replicate in time for the mechanic.

does it happen every time you reach that rpm figure? or happened randomly?
john_w

Post by john_w »

Id say it happens 99% of the time! my car being an auto it wont rev to much over 3000 whilst in neutral or park so I think they will have to take it out for a drive to have a look anyway. A friend of my mums used to be a mechanic and still has a few connections, hes done a bit of ringing round and thinks it could be something to do with a boost control solenoid on the outlet of the supercharger?! Obviously this means nothing to me but might do to someone on here? cheers, john
Deacon
Options: Tuned 1.4tsi - gone but not forgotten!

Post by Deacon »

Definitely not anything to do with a supercharger if you've got a 2.0 - it doesn't have one!
playing in my '86
john_w

Post by john_w »

dont know if this had anything to do with it but if not its a massive coincidence, I looked under my bonnet the other day to top up my screen wash and my Apexi induction kit was compressed like a coke can that had been stood on! So i swapped it for the standard air box staright away and ever since then there have been no strange noises! IMo Apexi isnt a cheap make, Its used on all the performace jap cars so shouldnt just fold under pressure, but looks like mine did! The strange thing was it looked fine when the noise first started although i didnt check it. anyway all is how it should be now :)