Headlight washers crap ?

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
Sootchucker
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Bluetooth, RNS-510 Nav, Parking Sensors, Dynaudio, Cruise Control, Folding Mirrors, Winter Pack, Puddle lights, covered cup holder, rear air vents (working), door warning lights)

Headlight washers crap ?

Post by Sootchucker »

HI all. Right been nearly 2 years now since I've owned the Rocco, and I specced it with the Winter pack. Love the heated seats, but I find to be honest the headlight washers completely useless. I've just taken a quick look at my lights now and they are as dirty as the car next to me (that doesn't have headlight washers), and that's despite them spraying 3 times on the way to work this morning.

Is everyone's so poor or just mine ? Is there any adjustment to be had ? I've checked the spray (by getting the wife to pull the lever) and it certainly seems to be directed towards the centre of the headlight, but all it does is makes the front of the car soaking wet !
Mark V

Re: Headlight washers crap ?

Post by Mark V »

Yep thats what they do on most cars! Uses up a lot of washer fluid and makes your bonnet wet. And made all the more irritating by the fact there is no dedicated switch for them in VW's. I think some people have pulled the fuse to disable them - I certainly will if ever have the wrteched things again...
mordred1973
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Salsa Red
With a: Manual box
Options: 2nd Jan 10 redroc arrived:GT 2.0TSI, Salsa Red, Xenon's, Winter Pack, Pano Roof, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Flat Tyre Indicator, Leather, Electric Seat, RNS510 Fiscon bluetooth, beep on locking, revo stage 1 and sill protectors

Post by mordred1973 »

theres a way to stop them working (if you can remember how many times you've washed the screen, since they don;t go every time)

I think it's pulling the stalk quickly twice avoids them working (or pull the fuse) and I agree they're useless, despite being required by law on cars with Xenons
dstill
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Panoramic sunroof
19 inch Lugano black alloys/pack
RNS 510
Winter pack
Folding mirrors
Reversing sensors
Full interior LED's
Cruise control
Alloy footrest

Post by dstill »

You can reduce the frequency at which they operate in VCDS, something like up to every ten squirts if i recall correctly, doesn't eliminate the problem but reduces it.
martdy
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Rising Blue
Options: Vienna Leather,Winter Pack,Dynaudio with DAB,PanoRoof,Parking Sensors,Tyre Indicator,Non Smoking Smokers Pack,Cruise control,Folding Mirrors, Prem Mats/Sills,Gt Badge/Metal Pedals,Fiscon Bluetooth.

Post by martdy »

Another point
If your DRLs are turned off the headlight washers only function when you switch the headlights on
Rising Blue,DSG,Vienna Leather,Winter Pack,Pano roof,Folding mirrors,Dynaudio/DAB,Park Sensors,Cruise, Flat tyre indicator,Prem Mats+Sills,Metal Pedals,Gt Badge,Fiscon,Covered cup holder/rear cup holders.Now gone Piano Black with new Climate Control
Sootchucker
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
Options: Bluetooth, RNS-510 Nav, Parking Sensors, Dynaudio, Cruise Control, Folding Mirrors, Winter Pack, Puddle lights, covered cup holder, rear air vents (working), door warning lights)

Post by Sootchucker »

Thanks Guys. The point I was trying to make wasn't about the frequency of operation, or tricks to fool the system etc. but more that when you do actually need them, and want them to spray, all they seem to do is douse the front of the car in suds, but not actually remove anything from the headlights themselves.
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

What do you apply to the headlight outer plastic cover if anything?

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
salsajoe
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Salsa Red
Options: multifunction steering wheel, fogs, 18" alloys; DAB; XDS activated, DRLs reset, lock beep activated; indicator repeat set to 4; covered cup holder, rear seat 12v socket installed. metal pedals, 210 Golf GTi also in the stable. Scirocco gone - miss it. Polo GTI now.

Post by salsajoe »

Can that make a difference if, for example, you use a shampoo with wax in it - for better or worse as they say?