tyres... which ones would you go for

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
alanr
I drive a: R-Line
In: Indium Grey
With a: Manual box
Options: GT 2.0 TDI 184 tdi r line. Black addition

tyres... which ones would you go for

Post by alanr »

hi i have narrowed it down to two tyres, need replacements on front

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 235 /40/18 £158

Pirelli 235/40/r18/95 w p7 cinturato £167 both prices fitted

what would you guys go for from experience ?

thanks
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: tyres... which ones would you go for

Post by Cuprabob »

I'm a big fan of F1s, used them on my R32 and they were really good. My Rocco is running on P Zeros and I'm liking them too, can't comment on the P7s. Out of those two it would be the F1s.

Have a look at Camskill for prices although you do have to add the cost of fitting and balancing

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m61b0s322p0/C ... _235_40R18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Deacon
Options: Tuned 1.4tsi - gone but not forgotten!

Post by Deacon »

F1's for me too. Really liked them when I've had them before. Not tried the p7's though. Also look at love tyres and oponeo for prices.
playing in my '86
alanr

Post by alanr »

Cuprabob wrote:I'm a big fan of F1s, used them on my R32 and they were really good. My Rocco is running on P Zeros and I'm liking them too, can't comment on the P7s. Out of those two it would be the F1s.

Have a look at Camskill for prices although you do have to add the cost of fitting and balancing

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m61b0s322p0/C ... _235_40R18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Would you say £158 fitted for F1 s is a good price ?

Cheers for your info
Starshaped

Post by Starshaped »

The pirellis which are fitted standard on Scirocco are a bit dearer as they are self sealing similar to conti seals.
Cuprabob
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

alanr wrote:
Cuprabob wrote:I'm a big fan of F1s, used them on my R32 and they were really good. My Rocco is running on P Zeros and I'm liking them too, can't comment on the P7s. Out of those two it would be the F1s.

Would you say £158 fitted for F1 s is a good price ?

Cheers for your info
When I first read the price I thought it was expensive because it only cost me £151 for 235/35x19 P Zeros but after looking at the prices for 18" it looks not too bad once you take fitting into account.
Dimbit
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Deep Black
Options: Parking beeps, leather, massive grin.

Post by Dimbit »

I just got a pair of the P7s, only because that's what was on there before. They're fine. That price is about right.
Jeffao
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Deep Black
With a: DSG box
Options: Vienna Leather, Bi-Xenon's, Pano Roof, Dynaudio, Parking Sensors, Cruise, Elec Folding Mirrors. Smokers Pack (for covered storage area), BMT, Coloured MFD, Tyre pressure Ind.
RNS-510 SatNav (video-in-motion enabled) + Voice Control & safety camera database, VW Bluetooth (iPhone5) Led Drl's.

Post by Jeffao »

The F1's are a great tyre but boy did the replacement mileage reduce! only got 11,500 out of them on the front compared with the P7's now at 19,000 with 2 to 3 thousand left to the limit but will replace straight after Xmas
alanr

Post by alanr »

decided to for PERELLI P7 CENTRATO last owner had 20k out of fronts, then replaced with Continental`s and they should last only 11k

rears now on 30k and still 5.0 and 6.0 ... so perelli`s all round next week £167 each fitted

thanks for all your help
salsajoe
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Salsa Red
Options: multifunction steering wheel, fogs, 18" alloys; DAB; XDS activated, DRLs reset, lock beep activated; indicator repeat set to 4; covered cup holder, rear seat 12v socket installed. metal pedals, 210 Golf GTi also in the stable. Scirocco gone - miss it. Polo GTI now.

Post by salsajoe »

Got 22k out of my P7s and ready to replace shortly.
[quoteThe F1's are a great tyre but boy did the replacement mileage reduce! only got 11,500 out of them on the front compared with the P7's now at 19,000 with 2 to 3 thousand left to the limit but will replace straight after Xmas][/quote]

Disappointed to read that F1s seem to wear less well. The coding now out for tyres suggest the same rolling resistance for both so thought the wear rate would be similar? P7s seem a lot more expensive but not if you get twice the mileage!!
Starshaped

Post by Starshaped »

P7's are more expensive because they have a sealant inside them to try to prevent punctures if you get small nails and things through the tread.
lokyt
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Viper Green
Options: 18" Interlagos, Vienna Black Leather, Cruise Control, Rear Parking Sensors, Winter Pack, Dynaudio Pack, Badge Deletion, Electric Mirrors, Stainless Steel Sills, Alloy Pedals, LEDs

What tyres??

Post by lokyt »

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I wanted to double check...

All four shoes nearing the limit (2-3mm). Not changed since car has been bought and done 20000 miles. Original Pirelli Pzero Rossos. Not too bad a stint I guess for them.

Been doing a bit of research and I reckon I've narrowed it down to three tyres. Which one would you guys/girls opt for. Or if there's any other suggestions too.

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2
Avon ZZ5
Vredestein Ultra Sessanta XL

All feedback appreciated folks :D
Last edited by lokyt on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cuprabob

Post by Cuprabob »

Out of those I would go for the Goodyears. Used them in the past on my R32 and they were excellent. Camskill have them at a good price too.
megastream
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Sumatra

Post by megastream »

I just replaced my 2 front P7's with Goodyear F1's from Camskill, ordered online @ 11am arrived next day @ 8am, highly recommend Camskill.

Not fitted them yet and it's going to cost me £30 to get the tyres fitted but that still works out £30 cheaper in total than the cheapest supply and fit I could get.