Flat spotted the tyres...?

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
vee
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Pdc and dynaudio sound

Flat spotted the tyres...?

Post by vee »

Hi Guys

Had to do some emergency breaking on the highway the other day and since then there is an awful warbling noise coming from the rear tyres. temporarily locked the wheels as some learner driver decided to change to my lane while i was driving past. The dealer says there is nothin i can do about this as its a problem with the roc

Anyone else had this issue and what solution did you come to besides having to change the tyres? My tyres have done 20000 km. and have about 60% life on them.
Cheers
Vishal

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk 2
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: Flat spotted the tyres...?

Post by Cuprabob »

I very much doubt you have flat spotted the tyres however the rear tyres on some VAG cars, including the Scirocco, suffer from tread stepping which causes the rumbling noise you have.

There are a few "solution"

1. Live with it
2. New tyres
3. Regularly rotate the tyres to minimise the effect.

Some owners have found their rear alignment to be out so that may be worth checking.
vee
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
Options: Pdc and dynaudio sound

Post by vee »

Hi
rotated and did alignment, back wheel was scuffed, slight flat spot...most of the noise gone now
cheers

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk 2
mikealpha60

Post by mikealpha60 »

When i last had my car in for tyres they tried to flog me 4 wheel alignment saying my rears had negative camber causing the 'saw tooth' issue i had. Apparently its like this from factory setup for its sporty nature. Normal commuting like i do most of the time is wearing my rears out in this way but as suggested just swapping them around from time to time is best policy if you can do it.
carlpea
In: Reflex Silver

Post by carlpea »

I didn't think you could lock the wheels with ABS?
ZephyR
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: 18" Inters, Front fogs, Multi-function steering wheel, Parking sensors & Interior mats

Post by ZephyR »

carlpea wrote:I didn't think you could lock the wheels with ABS?
Yes I was thinking the same/
mat
In: Deep Black
Options: iPhone mount, red footwell lights, led numberplate lights, p-torque tuning (212bhp), Flux lights, Alloy pedals, iPhone mount, Factory bluetooth retrofit, vag-com, Tracker + 3G CCTV

Post by mat »

Believe me - its possible! (On the track anyway)
Murrdohk
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Reflex Silver
Options: 2008 Rocco...lowered 3cm, custom wheels, A/C, parking sensors, & cruise

Post by Murrdohk »

I'm not an expert but I've never had either a flat spot problem or my brakes lock up on me and I've been in some pretty hariy situations on the autobahn driving at top speed with my hair on fire! There have been several times that I have had my Roc doing 220-230 kmh and some idiot changed lanes in front of me causing me to have to litterally stand on my brakes! :eyepop: The only thing that happened then was the hazard lights came on automatically...which is a feature I didn't know about and think it's pretty cool. No flat spots or locked brakes though...not saying it's not possible, just hasn't happened to me luckily.

Glad you got the problem fixed though ;)