DSG vs. manual gearbox

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
zenekor
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Opal Silver
With a: DSG box
Options: \◣__◢/

DSG vs. manual gearbox

Post by zenekor »

Currently I drive 2.0TSI Rocco with DSG and I was thinking lately about scenario that happened to me many times with manual gearbox. Your driving through tightening curve and You push too much on a throttle on 2 gear. Next thing You know Your car is driving backwards with 2 gear on. On a manual gearbox You'd just pressed clutch :D What will happen with DSG? Does it have any fail-safe option for such situation? :?
yanto
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Candy White

Re: DSG vs. manual gearbox

Post by yanto »

Surely if you accelerate too hard the traction control and stability control kick in? If they don't work all you will do is understeer off the road! Spinning will only happen in a FWD car if you hit the brakes, or if you have a rwd and hit the accelerator! Are you sure that happens???

If so the failsafe is you, don't be so aggresive with the accelerator. TBH you sound like a liabilty and maybe should get a small underpowered car before you kill somebody!
Kev
Administrator
In: Rising Blue
Options: Leather, cruise, parking sensors, folding mirrors, flat tyre indicator
Sadly replaced in Nov '16 by a TTS!

Post by Kev »

I'd be more worried that I was going backwards and out of control than whether the DSG was dipping the clutch.

All the anti skid electronics will start applying braking etc to try and keep you pointing the right way. You're more likely to just understeer off.
zenekor
In: Opal Silver
Options: \◣__◢/

Post by zenekor »

yanto wrote:Surely if you accelerate too hard the traction control and stability control kick in? If they don't work all you will do is understeer off the road! Spinning will only happen in a FWD car if you hit the brakes, or if you have a rwd and hit the accelerator! Are you sure that happens???

If so the failsafe is you, don't be so aggresive with the accelerator. TBH you sound like a liabilty and maybe should get a small underpowered car before you kill somebody!
That's rather theoretical question about construction of DSG gearbox rather than about playing Carmageddon in real life :rolleyes: I drive my car responsible as I take my life and others seriously. So stop the flame... But let's forget about the driver and focus on this question: is DSG protected from this scenario?
Last edited by zenekor on Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

:magnify:
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!