Serious insurance premuim reduction.

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
maisbitt
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Parking Sensors, Smokers Pack (for aesthetics), R gearstick, R pedals, Sliding cup holder cover.

Serious insurance premuim reduction.

Post by maisbitt »

I'm shopping around for insurance, and paid £496 last year. I was kind of expecting £520+ this year and I went through 3 of the main comparison sites. "Onequote direct" underwritten by "Allianz" is coming in at £374 with all my usual options such as protected no claims.

Has there been any major downgrade of risk with the Scirocco (now it's been out 4 years and they should have plenty of data/stats on them and their drivers)? I just turned 37, not an expected significant age change to affect risk I would think, and my local area's crime stats appear to be static.

Anyone else noticed a recent significant drop in their premiums at renewal?
2013 - Tornado Red MK7 Golf GTD on order
2011-2013 - Rising Blue 170GT
2009-2011 - Pewter Roc 140GT
2007-2009 - Tornado Red Golf 170TDI GT
2005-2007 - Black Pearl Golf 140TDI GT
2003-2005 - Black Pearl Polo 1.9TDI
RisingRoc
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
Options: 2 Zone Air Con, Alloy pedals, Luxury Mats, Chrome Exhaust Tips, Rear Cup Holder, HKB Door Sills, Full LED pack

Re: Serious insurance premuim reduction.

Post by RisingRoc »

I had a huge drop in mine from my previous provider to my current one.

Was quote ~£1,000 by DirectLine for my renewal (my postcode is classed as city centre which hugely inflates my premium). Went on their site put in the exact same details and came up with a quote for £850. They couldn't explain the difference to me. Then went on price comparison website and ended up with esure at around £600. Well pleased with it being £400 cheaper than my renewal letter.
Kev
Administrator
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
With a: DSG box
Options: Leather, cruise, parking sensors, folding mirrors, flat tyre indicator
Sadly replaced in Nov '16 by a TTS!

Post by Kev »

I renewed last month and paid about £30 less than last year (£330ish) with the same company (Admiral).

Last year the AA quoted me about £660 and this year they said £340!

Premiums definitely seem to be dropping which can't be a bad thing and with the announcement recently of an inquiry in to premiums it might get even better next year.
BunnyJen
In: Candy White

Post by BunnyJen »

I'm interested to see what happens to mine when this new insurance thingy, where they'll be matching womens and mens insurance, comes into place at the end of this year. Bit scared! :cry:
Deacon
Options: Tuned 1.4tsi - gone but not forgotten!

Post by Deacon »

Just sorting my renewal out at the moment too - seems to be about £100 cheaper this year!
playing in my '86
yanto

Post by yanto »

Before i got mine i did a comparison site check, best was about £230 fully comp, 12kmiles, protected ncb, hire car, legal, no additional excess. I thought it was brilliant compared to my old car which was a Volvo C30 1.6d Drive (eco version) which was £195, even my extra for 9 months cover with present insurer was only £25... Big smiles from me!
stono
I drive a: Scirocco R
Options: Recaro seats, Dynaudio, Cruise Control, Car-Net, Electric Folding Mirrors

Post by stono »

EU equality thing. Lads = slightly cheaper now
BenBAC
I drive a: Scirocco R

Post by BenBAC »

Renewed mine in September and was very surprised, changed from More Than to Direct Line, my premium went down from £1k to £600 which was brilliant in my opinion.
Ryy
In: Viper Green
Options: Sat Nav, Heated Leather Seats, Dynaudio, Kit with 19" alloys, 30mm Front / 20mm Rear Lowering Springs, Folding Mirrors, Interior Mats, REVO Stage 1, Carbon wrapped bits and bobs.

Post by Ryy »

Sky gave me the best quote, hopefully it will be cheaper too. It's due next month!
ZephyR
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: 18" Inters, Front fogs, Multi-function steering wheel, Parking sensors & Interior mats

Post by ZephyR »

Yeah mine went down quite a bit in August. I assumed that premiums generally were going down rather than the Roc specifically.
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20030285" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

obviously this hasn't filtered through to Sky lol
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
maisbitt
Options: Parking Sensors, Smokers Pack (for aesthetics), R gearstick, R pedals, Sliding cup holder cover.

Post by maisbitt »

I personally have seen a 25% reduction with this years cheapest quote on the comparison sites vs last premium paid - I wonder whether my broker will actually offer me a decent renewal figure or try to up it's profits by not passing on all the savings I seem to be able to access. Either way, 25% is way more than RW1's link would suggest - not that i'm complaining! Perhaps some insurers are bringing in the new gender equality prices in now rather than the mandatory date in Dec 2012. It should make no difference to them, for every man with a premium reduction is a woman who'll presumably face a corresponding hike. Buying car insurance is cheaper around Oct/Nov time, presumably because Christmas is approaching and everyone is reluctant to spend. I've seen that quotes from insurers for my car vary as much as 10% from one month to another within a year. It's also possible that the Roc is being risked more like a Golf now.
2013 - Tornado Red MK7 Golf GTD on order
2011-2013 - Rising Blue 170GT
2009-2011 - Pewter Roc 140GT
2007-2009 - Tornado Red Golf 170TDI GT
2005-2007 - Black Pearl Golf 140TDI GT
2003-2005 - Black Pearl Polo 1.9TDI
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

Mine has roughly stayed the same this year & in that I've upper my milage in that so overall not too bad
Mark V

Post by Mark V »

yanto wrote:Before i got mine i did a comparison site check, best was about £230 fully comp, 12kmiles, protected ncb, hire car, legal, no additional excess.
Wow - who is this with and how come so cheap? Are you over 60 and living in N Scotland with car in a garage or something :p
Dobbin
In: Viper Green
Options: Roof thingy!

Post by Dobbin »

I nearly fell off my chair when I changed my policy from a 3 year old 2.0l GT to a brand new R and the premium was £12 less :clap:
Hope is what you have when you don't have control!
skyinsurance
Site Sponsor

Post by skyinsurance »

Ryy wrote:Sky gave me the best quote, hopefully it will be cheaper too. It's due next month!
:yes:

http://www.skyinsurance.co.uk/car-club-insurance.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We're usually better for the modified examples.
bitmadmax

Post by bitmadmax »

Admiral wanted c. £1100 for the renewal on my R..

Used moneysupermarket.com and got like-for-like cover from ESure for £450 :eyepop: It was more than double this to insure my GTI..

So somethin definitely weird going on with prices at the moment (or I'm just classed as an old fart now)
Golf 7R
Gone: Scirocco R
VCDS available
Deacon
Options: Tuned 1.4tsi - gone but not forgotten!

Post by Deacon »

My renewal was £637. Phoned round and got it for £497. Paid £630 last year after a lot of phoning round.
playing in my '86
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

Deacon wrote:My renewal was £637. Phoned round and got it for £497. Paid £630 last year after a lot of phoning round.
yes but on the average of this thread so far they are celebrating gaining one having lost two :D
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2