GT 170. MPG

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
yanto
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box

GT 170. MPG

Post by yanto »

I picked up my nearly new GT (800 miles registered july) on Monday, two commutes later i've clocked up 270 miles, i've averaged 62mpg (computer average, not checked by filling up) I thought that was pretty good for a DSG, any thoughts??

My commute consists of single track road, B roads, mainly A roads and 10 miles of dual carriageway/motorway (A42/M42).
Cuprabob
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: GT 170. MPG

Post by Cuprabob »

I've got a 60 mile commute on A roads and dual carriageways and my manual displays mid 60s which equates to real high 50s.
Whinters
Options: Vienna Black Leather, Dual Climate Control, RNS 315, Revo Stage 1, 19" Rotiform alloys, H&R Springs, Stainless Steel door sills, Black VW badges, Painted lower front grille

Post by Whinters »

Heh, I can only get near those figures if I drive near enough below the speed limit :D

I generally average ~46mpg according to the MFD.
mat
In: Deep Black
Options: iPhone mount, red footwell lights, led numberplate lights, p-torque tuning (212bhp), Flux lights, Alloy pedals, iPhone mount, Factory bluetooth retrofit, vag-com, Tracker + 3G CCTV

Post by mat »

43 for me.... But 50 on motorways if I'm gentle.....!
goatboy
In: Salsa Red
Options: Leather!

Post by goatboy »

normal commute for me is somehwere in the 50's, have had over 60 but when driving very gently with no stopping and starting (which is rare on the M25)
Whinters
Options: Vienna Black Leather, Dual Climate Control, RNS 315, Revo Stage 1, 19" Rotiform alloys, H&R Springs, Stainless Steel door sills, Black VW badges, Painted lower front grille

Post by Whinters »

I'd actually be interested to know what peoples average speed supposedly is (as stated by the MFD) when comparing MPG values. FYI, mine is currently stating 45mph.

However, my commute is 90% dual carriageways and Motorways. If I drive economically I can get high 50s, maybe even up to 60mpg - but it really isn't a very enjoyable way to drive for me, therefore I usually drive more exuberantly which returns mid 40s. If I drive economically I can get up to 600 miles from a full tank, but normal driving usually gets me ~500miles.
Fifer
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Opal Silver
Options: Reversing sensors, cruise control

Post by Fifer »

Don't trust the MFD mpg readings. Mine are wildly inaccurate. I've done almost 3000 miles in my BMT and get low 50's from about every tank (although the MFD indiactes anything from mid-50s to mid-60s). I'd consider a (real) mpg of anything approaching 50mpg from a GT170 pretty astounding consumption, unless someone is driving everywhere at 50mph with an egg under the accelerator.
Cuprabob
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

I'm getting a real 55mpg average out of mine at the moment and i certainly don't drive everywhere at 50 mph. Most of the time I sit between 60 and 70.
Fifer

Post by Fifer »

That's better than my 140 BMT. Best I've had out of a tank so far is around 53mpg and I'm being fairly careful and sensible with my right foot.
Cuprabob

Post by Cuprabob »

My commute is 60 miles either way and I don't stuck in too much stop start driving. Quite a few timnes I've seen just over 70mpg on the MFD

It drops into the 40s if I'm driving about town.

I do have a very smooth driving sstyle though so that helps a lot. reinforced by the fact that I'm still on the original set of P Zeros on the front after 31k miles :-)
Fifer

Post by Fifer »

Cuprabob wrote:My commute is 60 miles either way and I don't stuck in too much stop start driving.
Similar - mine's 55 each way, mainly on rural A roads or dual carriageway.
Cuprabob

Post by Cuprabob »

Fifer wrote:
Cuprabob wrote:My commute is 60 miles either way and I don't stuck in too much stop start driving.
Similar - mine's 55 each way, mainly on rural A roads or dual carriageway.
Mine is straight out of my house and 7 miles A road, 48 miles motorway and 5 miles rural and takes around 1hr 20 mins so an average speed of circa 45mph
yanto

Post by yanto »

My average speed is 42mph, i too believe i have a smooth driving style, but still use the performance when i think it's worth it, i.e. NOT to overtake and find myself at the traffic lights in front of the people i've just passed. slightly off topic but i think the sound of the engine and exhaust is very addictive (most un-diesel like) when accelerating hard and the gears are changing rapidly - makes me grin from ear to ear, maybe if i stopped doing that i could get more!!!

Another aspect that affects mpg greatly is terrain, my commute is constantly going up and down... Recent trips across northern France, Belgium and Holland have produced 50+mpg at 70-80mph in the wifes old Volvo XC70 D5 auto, whereas in the UK 42mpg is good, she only gets 33mpg!
Cuprabob

Post by Cuprabob »

yanto wrote:My average speed is 42mph, i too believe i have a smooth driving style, but still use the performance when i think it's worth it, i.e. NOT to overtake and find myself at the traffic lights in front of the people i've just passed. slightly off topic but i think the sound of the engine and exhaust is very addictive (most un-diesel like) when accelerating hard and the gears are changing rapidly - makes me grin from ear to ear, maybe if i stopped doing that i could get more!!!
I hear what you are saying about the noise but when you've came from an R32 with a lovely V6 burble, it's hard to be impressed by the noise :-)
gibbsy
In: Indium Grey
Options: Very pretty Cocker Spaniel in the boot

Post by gibbsy »

I once got 70.2 mpg indicated by the trip, but I was driving like a nun on an extremely quite M4. In the real world my fill ups regularly indicate 53-55 mpg whereas the trip shows 60+. Four up, all adults, I count myself as one, at a steady indicated 80 on the M5/M4 last week the trip indicated 53, so probably high 40s which I think was wonderful.

I do try to drive gently but then I think bollocks and put my foot down. :clap: Then the trip drops like a stone. :nod: There are some lovely roads across the Brecon Beacons. :D
mike-p

Post by mike-p »

Just back from a motoring tour down to the south of France, about 2,000 miles, averaged just over 50 mpg, which included long stretches at 85 on the autoroutes.

Quite impressed.
Life's too short to go slow

Skoda Yeti 4x4 Elegance 2.0CR
Revo, Steinbauer & Oscarli Dealer for Suffolk and N.Essex
Paralla
Options: RNS 510, Dynaudio, pano roof, dark anthracite satin finished 19" lugano's, cruise control, mudflaps, VW stainless steel sill plates, parking sensors, folding mirrors, 6CD changer, luxury mats, stainless steel pedal covers, 12" Alpine Sub, 1000W Alpine Amp

Post by Paralla »

Mine replaced a BMW 330Ci that was lucky to break 30mpg so anything better than that is gravy. I cared about economy when I chose the car and the next time I think about it is when I replace the 170 with something else. In between I just enjoy driving it however I like.
goatboy
In: Salsa Red
Options: Leather!

Post by goatboy »

gibbsy wrote:I once got 70.2 mpg indicated by the trip, but I was driving like a nun on an extremely quite M4. In the real world my fill ups regularly indicate 53-55 mpg whereas the trip shows 60+. Four up, all adults, I count myself as one, at a steady indicated 80 on the M5/M4 last week the trip indicated 53, so probably high 40s which I think was wonderful.
This is quite interesting that yours read higher. Mine tends to match calculated to whats displayed (within 1or 2 mpg).

I had a steady run down the A1 last weekend well over 100 miles at a pretty constant 70-80 mph and the mdf said something like 47mpg which is similar to what you calculate.

What I do find though is the warmer it is the better the mpg. now its started getting cooler I can see the mpg starting to drop off. Over 60mpg is attainable in the summer, I struggle to get over low 50's in the winter.
alanr
I drive a: R-Line
In: Indium Grey
Options: GT 2.0 TDI 184 tdi r line. Black addition

Post by alanr »

hi looking at 42 mpg in this weather :grumpy:
Deagol
In: Deep Black
Options: Parking sensors, Winter pack, Black Leather, Flat Tyre indicator, Mudflaps
Pump & Music from another dimension

Post by Deagol »

Yep, cold weather, longer warm-up and at least a 5 mpg reduction over an 11 mile commute (58-60mpg on the MFD in the summer, 50 - 54 this morning)

Ho hum !
Baptised with Aerosmith