Superchipped already? Rear tire camber.

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
wintercooled
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: Rear parking sensors
Dual climate control
Leather seats

Post by wintercooled »

Hi all,

Having done over 240k miles in Fiat Puntos I finally had saved enough for a Scirocco - and I am loving it - had it about 2 months. It's a 2.0 TDI (140bhp) I got from a dealer in Newport (Wales) - I was going to get it chipped (Bluefin) but I can get 0-60 in 7 seconds in it and over 60mpg on the motorway (doing 70mph) - so wonder if the guy who owned it before me might already had chipped it himself - what do you think? It seems way faster than the display 140bhp model I test drove and is well under the manufacturer specs!

The only thing that worries me is the sawtooth tire wear on the inside of the rear tires - due to the negative camber I think. Every other bit of the tread is worn about 1mm more than the one next to it. so it goes 4mm, 3mm, 4mm, 3mm, 4mm etc. Is this normal?

Cheers!
Matt.
Jake Turbo
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Viper Green

Re: Superchipped already? Rear tire camber.

Post by Jake Turbo »

You can't get 0-60 in 7 seconds, chipped or not, in a 140 TDI roc.

How are you timing it?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
wintercooled
Dual climate control
Leather seats

Post by wintercooled »

I got a mate to time it by videoing it then cutting the bit from 0-60 out and it was 6.98 seconds long - and also I've done it with stopwatch on a flat road with a timer a number of times.

I can upload a vid if you like.
wintercooled
Dual climate control
Leather seats

Post by wintercooled »

Here's the vid - " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ok - you can't see it's a flat road - so I will do another video tomorrow - gives me something to do anyway as I have a day off.

Not trying to 'my roc is faster than yours' or anything - I genuinely am just interested in what's been done to the car I bought. I get wheel spin in it in 1st and second if I nail it and don't think I should.
chrisyboyc
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
With a: DSG box
Options: Leather,Criuse Control, Dynaudio possible RS6 alloys if i have cash

Post by chrisyboyc »

Hi the saw tooth is normal for some reason
If you see S9 CTC driving around give us a wave I do 40,000 miles a year it gets lonely out there
wintercooled
Dual climate control
Leather seats

Post by wintercooled »

Thanks, I'll just turn the stereo up to drown out the tire noise ;-)
BenBAC
I drive a: Scirocco R
With a: DSG box

Post by BenBAC »

Had the same issue with my tyres and had to get new ones, the noise was so annoying. I switched the rear ones to the front to see of it was better and it wasn't. I think they were the original Dunlop ones.
mordred1973
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Salsa Red
Options: 2nd Jan 10 redroc arrived:GT 2.0TSI, Salsa Red, Xenon's, Winter Pack, Pano Roof, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Flat Tyre Indicator, Leather, Electric Seat, RNS510 Fiscon bluetooth, beep on locking, revo stage 1 and sill protectors

Post by mordred1973 »

I only get the rear tyre noise a about 30-40mph then it is presumably drowned out?

What sort of rear tyre life are people getting? I am on 37000 and there's not THAT much wear...
maisbitt
In: Rising Blue
Options: Parking Sensors, Smokers Pack (for aesthetics), R gearstick, R pedals, Sliding cup holder cover.

Post by maisbitt »

Mordred: 12k miles and my fronts have lots left on the outsides but almost down to the markers in the middle 2 trenches. This would indicate huge overinflation (which isn't the case unless VWs recommendations in the fuel flap are way off manufacturer recommendations. Mine are Pirelli P7s - this appears to be an issue with the fronts with Pirellis.

The backs are like new.
2013 - Tornado Red MK7 Golf GTD on order
2011-2013 - Rising Blue 170GT
2009-2011 - Pewter Roc 140GT
2007-2009 - Tornado Red Golf 170TDI GT
2005-2007 - Black Pearl Golf 140TDI GT
2003-2005 - Black Pearl Polo 1.9TDI
maisbitt
Options: Parking Sensors, Smokers Pack (for aesthetics), R gearstick, R pedals, Sliding cup holder cover.

Post by maisbitt »

wintercooled wrote:Here's the vid - " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ok - you can't see it's a flat road - so I will do another video tomorrow - gives me something to do anyway as I have a day off.

Not trying to 'my roc is faster than yours' or anything - I genuinely am just interested in what's been done to the car I bought. I get wheel spin in it in 1st and second if I nail it and don't think I should.
You would need to have had a lot done to it to crack 7s in a 140TDI, even a well bedded in 170 probably wouldn't manage it. Dont forget that VW speedos (and most other marques) are about 8% optimistic: 60mph on the gauge is more like 55mph, and published times are 0 to 62mph (and will be accurate, not using the vehicle's speedo). If your car is chipped it is most likely pushing out about 175PS, so 0-55mph in a smidge over 7 seconds might not be unreasonable.
wintercooled
Dual climate control
Leather seats

Post by wintercooled »

maisbitt wrote:Mordred: 12k miles and my fronts have lots left on the outsides but almost down to the markers in the middle 2 trenches. This would indicate huge overinflation (which isn't the case unless VWs recommendations in the fuel flap are way off manufacturer recommendations. Mine are Pirelli P7s - this appears to be an issue with the fronts with Pirellis.

The backs are like new.

I had similar wear but mine actually was down to over inflation. When I picked the car up (second hand) it was legal all round on tires but after just 500 miles the fronts were well under in the middle. Checked the pressure and they were well over the suggested for light load driving (ie just driver) - I took it back and the replaced them free of charge (after a bit of debate). They must have over inflated them in their 'checks' before they sold it me.

I have 33 psi (from memory) in all 4 now.
wintercooled
Dual climate control
Leather seats

Post by wintercooled »

maisbitt wrote:
wintercooled wrote:Here's the vid - " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You would need to have had a lot done to it to crack 7s in a 140TDI, even a well bedded in 170 probably wouldn't manage it. Dont forget that VW speedos (and most other marques) are about 8% optimistic: 60mph on the gauge is more like 55mph, and published times are 0 to 62mph (and will be accurate, not using the vehicle's speedo). If your car is chipped it is most likely pushing out about 175PS, so 0-55mph in a smidge over 7 seconds might not be unreasonable.
Ah I see, thanks. I might contact the last owner and see if he had anything done. I'm guessing your point about the speedo will be a factor as well. Either way, it's a fun way to ruin my tires and I'm loving the car.
wintercooled
Dual climate control
Leather seats

Post by wintercooled »

Just checked using Tom Tom and a gps speedo for Android. Both said I was doing 62 mph when I was doing 64 on the Scirocco's speedo.

Also - I timed 0-60 not 62 (which should have been 64 in my roc anyway!) ;-)
maisbitt

Post by maisbitt »

It's hard to put that power down for a decent 0-62mph charge in a high powered diesel unless you have 4WD. The diesels are just so torquey, you'll normally end up spinning on the spot. To do a genuine 0-62 in under 7s you'd be wanting about 210PS, which is possible in a chipped 170TDI, but not a 140 through the usual chipping means. The Audi TT TDI170 is 0.6s quicker than the 170 Roc on the official 0-62 times as it has Quattro to keep a grip.

The torque delivery has been smoothed out on the CR TDI vs the old PD TDIs. In my old 170TDI PD Golf, you could be gently accelerating away in first, put it in second, floor it and the tyres would spin even though you would be doing 20mph at that point. I can't get that to happen on my 170 Roc unless the road is very wet.