newbie with lots of questions!

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
2OCCO.2

Post by 2OCCO.2 »

hi everyone! so I'm looking at getting a scirocco. Im currently driving a highly modified FN2 civic type r, and just fancy a bit of a change of scene really and the only car that stands out looks wise as well as performance, is the scirocco.
I took a couple for a test drive today, a 2.0 tsi gt and a 2.0 tdi r line. must say i preferred the looks of the r line both inside and out, however outside is irrelevant as i would change bits to my liking. I am however also looking at the TSI R...i haven't found one to test drive yet tho :(

so i have lots of questions for you all, i need help in making my decision! firstly I'm split between the diesel and petrol, mainly due to price (tax and fuel). i may have to do a lot of travelling with work in the near future, so economy may be something i need to look at, in which case the tdi r line is a good choice, cheaper fuel and tax means i can modify the outside and aesthetics of the car on a better budget :) what sort of figures in terms of bhp and torque am i looking at if i remap a 170tdi?

now with the tsi (both standard and with a remap) I'm looking from 210 - 260ish bhp? what sort of mpg are you all getting with this engine? i don't drive like a lunatic, but as everyone with a performance car, i like a bit of spirited driving now and again :) am i right in thinking it is around £230 a year for tax? (this is cheaper than my current car anyway)

again with the TSI R, what mpg are you all getting? What figures would i be looking at with a mapped TSI R?

i do love my current car, with it revving up to near 9,000 revs it puts a smile on my face with ease, but at the same time i do like the dub kind of look...but also want performance...as you can all probably tell, I'm in a bit of a pickle as to what model to get lol :( i know the R will be the best in performance terms, however is there a happy medium?
any info/opinions are welcome
thanks all :)
b0rk
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Used to have an R...

Re: newbie with lots of questions!

Post by b0rk »

A TDI 170 can be remapped to 200 BHP and 430 NM torque, however this may require the ECU to be removed as most ECU's are now encrypted. IIRC Revo and Superchips can remap while you wait if you ask for it to be done at their offices.
TSI 210 can be remapped to around 260 BHP, pure software map with no hardware changes.
R 265 can be mapped to around 300 BHP, pure software map with no hardware changes.

Stage 1, 1+, 2 etc remaps with hardware modifications can significantly improve these figures depending on how much your prepared to do.

I'm getting an average of 28mpg using V Power (98 ron) with mainly motorway miles of approx 60 miles per day and factory map + DSG box. You may find a manual offers lower real world fuel economy for town driving but similar motorway economy. Using standard unleaded will drop the economy by a couple of MPG at best.

If your used to the low torque high reving nature of VTEC then the VW petrols or diesels where the usable power starts very low in rev range may take some getting used too particularly if you considering DSG where the box will try to maximise economy in drive.
A new TDI 170 is £120 per year in road tax, TSI 210 £195 per year, R £250 per year.
kenny.c
With a: Manual box
Options: MK7 GOLF GTI-PP

Post by kenny.c »

2.0 tsi normal driving your looking at 32-35 mpg....combined driving (town and a roads) very similar maybe 35-37 on a motorway at 70-75mph......on a steady run on A roads doing 60mph you can easy get into the 40s.....

If you try hard all these figures can improve by 2-3 mpg.....

After my Revo map all the figures improved by 1-2 mpg and A road driving improved the most.....

Hope that helps
Ken
2OCCO.2

Post by 2OCCO.2 »

Awesome...thanks!
Pheo
In: Viper Green
With a: Manual box

Post by Pheo »

kenny.c wrote:2.0 tsi normal driving your looking at 32-35 mpg....combined driving (town and a roads) very similar maybe 35-37 on a motorway at 70-75mph......on a steady run on A roads doing 60mph you can easy get into the 40s.....

If you try hard all these figures can improve by 2-3 mpg.....

After my Revo map all the figures improved by 1-2 mpg and A road driving improved the most.....

Hope that helps
Ken
Just bought one so thanks for the info!