Colour choice

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
blazeneon
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: MY2013 Spec, Carpet Mats, Chrome Tips.

Colour choice

Post by blazeneon »

Hey guys,

Seeing as my car is taking ages to arrive, and that some members' cars are being delivered before mine, even though they were ordered after, I was curious to know whether colour choice had anything to do when the car was built.

For instance, do they do a whole build week of one colour? Iridium Grey on week 27, Black on week 28, RB week 29 etc. Or is it more random than that?

I'm only trying to justify the delay!

Phil.
Ordered week 15
Built week 29
Arrived in UK week 31
Driving week 32
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Re: Colour choice

Post by trix »

phil
quite simply, no.
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

I would look more at the dealer's allocation when the Scirocco was ordered. The dealer may have over stretched the monthly allocation, so although the order is taken from you, the order into the factory cannot be placed until a month or even two later.

Got your commision number off the dealer yet?

Thats not your receipt on the day you did the deal at the dealership. Its the factory order number for the factory in Portugal. The dealership should provide it to you, although you may have to request it. That confirms the order is in the factory system. And therefore, they should now within a week or two of the eventual actual build week, know which provisional build week number the order has. I'd go and ask the dealer whats going on.

Other people will always get an order ahead of you or other people as that dealer they have used may have had a monthly unallocated order slot which the customer's order was assigned to at the time of the deal. Or the dealer already had a stock order in hand which could be adjusted to suit the customer's wishes.

And some dealers can factory order direct while others (in a chain or independant) may have to go through a centre point which can add time to when the point at which the order is placed on the factory system. In my case 3 years ago, I watched it go on the factory system within 15 minutes once the deal was agreed. Some were not as lucky as their dealer saleman had to submit the order to a central dealership's chain head office. That could take upto two to three weeks (extreme). All adds time to your wait unfortunately if this has happened.

As Trix says, no nothing is really batched, sometimes engines but generally no, its all just in time production including paint colour.

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
ZephyR
Options: 18" Inters, Front fogs, Multi-function steering wheel, Parking sensors & Interior mats

Post by ZephyR »

Chris I ordered mine thru Gilbert Lawson which is part of the Inchscape group so I guess that might have had the delays you describe. Where did you order yours from?
RW1
Legend
With a: DSG box
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

"Inchape HQ Manchester" lol - Its all done through Stockport in the bit behind the Showroom on the Stockport side Parts Dept frontage. And they can tax the cars at point of sale as well. No DVLA needed. So I ordered at Stockport.

GL in Macc or Manc Trafford?

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
ZephyR
Options: 18" Inters, Front fogs, Multi-function steering wheel, Parking sensors & Interior mats

Post by ZephyR »

RW1 wrote:"Inchape HQ Manchester" lol - Its all done through Stockport in the bit behind the Showroom on the Stockport side Parts Dept frontage. And they can tax the cars at point of sale as well. No DVLA needed. So I ordered at Stockport.

GL in Macc or Manc Trafford?

C.
Trafford. Might try Stockport when I'm looking at ordering a new one in a few months.