Advice needed please guys! :(

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Sarah
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Viper Green
With a: DSG box
Options: Leather, mats, parking sensors, sat nav, paddleshift, multi-function steering wheel

Advice needed please guys! :(

Post by Sarah »

Hello,

Right this is a bit long winded but ill try and cut it short...

Basically I bought my Roc in December 11, it was an ex demo, is a 10plate but has the red MFD and old steering wheel. When I bought it I noticed the directional heating buttons wernt working properly and they kept sticking in and so I took it to the local dealer to get reparied under warranty, however when I got it back I noticed the display on the head unit was different colours and now I cant see the sat nav and audio on the MFD and so I cant use the steering controls to switch music etc.

This has been going in and out of the workshop since january and is there again this week.

they have tried numerous ways to fix this through codes/refitting new MFD display etc etc and this week they have been fitting a whole new head unit to try and resolve the problem, this was shipped from Germany... I got a call today and it hasnt worked... basically they are telling me that the radio that is in the car is different to what the car 'began its life with' as such, and when they have removed it they have found that stickers have been ripped off etc meaning its out of warranty. I have not changed this, I wouldnt know where to start with car electrics....!!!

So Ive already had the chat that makes sure I am not picking up the £3,500+ bill that they have racked up trying to fix this and the garage that its with understand that I havent changed this so its all good on that front (thank god!) however they are telling me that VW UK are saying that you could never see the sat nav on the MFD and you could never flick through music on the steering controls and so its not going to be fixed.. I had a 60 plate car before this and this worked and i dont see why you couldnt use the steering wheel function to change song on a car like a scirocco! I had a vauxhall corsa that could do that!!! can anyone please shed light on this and let me know if you have the red display and you can do this with your controls please?

Secondly, the guy i bought the car from... hmmm well frankly he is a tool... the garage it is currently with also agree after speaking with him! The car has only had two owners, sold from the same garage, one of them being me. So its pretty obvious, you would think, that the second time they sold it, it was sold with a completely different unit. But he will not admit that.

I am getting all the documents together with the mechanic that is working on it, to sort of put together a case for this as I am unhappy that the car has been tampered with and they are now telling me it is no longer under warranty - I am not happy to be paying so much for car this is now all of a sudden not under warranty way before the 3 year mark.

Can someone please offer me advice on where I stand with this as I feel I am paying for a car now that doesnt have features I bought it for and I am sick of it been in and out of the garage.

All your help would be much appreicated, thank you in advance!
Sarah
Last edited by Sarah on Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skippy
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: Sat Nav, Leather, electric fold in mirrors, Dynaudio upgrade.

Now sold, but what a fantastic car!

Re: Advice needed please guys! :(

Post by skippy »

Not sure if I understand what has been going on here, mine is an 09 plate and the sat nav directions are displayed in the MFD as well as being able to change track from the steering wheel.

What concerns me though is that a 10 plate should have the white coloured MFD and new design steering wheel (as of May 2009), so any late 09 plate onwards should have the revised spec.

A 10 plate should be under warranty until at least March 2013.
Sarah
Options: Leather, mats, parking sensors, sat nav, paddleshift, multi-function steering wheel

Post by Sarah »

Thanks Skippy thats exactly what I thought, but it does all seem very odd to me now.

I just dont know where I stand with the dealer I bought it off as its clearly been tampered with.
skippy

Post by skippy »

No worries, this is all a bit weird, I assume all the docs checkout ok, is there anything to suggest there has been an insurance claim against it?

Are there any other strange things about the car, assume the wheels are 18" Interlagos?

I take it then the garage is an independent and sold it to you confidently knowing that it was still covered under VW warranty. Yes - this is why VW are trying to wrangle out of a warranty claim as the car has been tampered with. The garage you bought if from should step in and help you here assuming that it is reputable.
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

yea it is, all the docs are fine, when I picked it up everything was working fine no other problems at all wheels are interlagos etc, all as expected this just occured when I went to have the buttons fixed, bought the car from a VW dealer and its been repaired at the dealer so its all in supposdely reputable hands.

yea they told me it had the warranty until march 2013 and so the garage its with now are repairing it under that, but I just get the impression they are trying to get rid of me now because they messed it up and the bill is getting too high for them.

I have tried to talk to the garage I bought it from but the guy doesnt listen and avoids questions and changes subjects. - Think of the most unhelpful person you have ever spoken to on the phone and times it by 10 - thats him!!

Seems odd that they are now lying to me telling it would never have worked though after all this time they have taken trying to fix it. Getting very angry with them now to be honest. If a car is under warranty and they sold it to you with a full warranty they should just do the job! and I am so sick of driving a polo when im paying for a roc!
skippy

Post by skippy »

Ah - so from a VW dealer, thank goodness for that. Yes indeed as mentioned, mine has the red MFD and the Sat Nav directions display and I can change track from the steering wheel, so they can't use that one on you.

They are clearly struggling to fix it, and it is probably some coding/software problem they have. But.... The dealer sold the car to you in good faith though, I am intrigued though why it has the old steering wheel/MFD.

If there was a problem with the dashboard/instrument panel, it would have been replaced with identical parts by VW. It would not make sense for the previous owner to go elsewhere when it's under warranty.

The history needs looking into and then you should get it repaired by VW under the existing warranty. After all franchised dealers will only sell top notch stock in full working order.
lewis
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Reflex Silver
Options: metalic paint & winter pack

Post by lewis »

I totally agree with Skippy – how is there an old style steering wheel.

No-one would replace the new type for the older steering wheel.

So odd that I would check the chassis number and ask VW to confirm that the car is the correct model year - AND that it is not an ‘import’

Good luck.
carlpea

Post by carlpea »

Does your car have DCC? (Suspension settings?)
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

non of it makes sense does it. :(

I think that what they are saying is that the car is registered to have a 6 cd changer not a sat nav, and maybe the previous owner/dealer had changed it.
It just really annoys me that they lied and are trying to pull the wool over my eyes by saying it shouldnt work when it clearly did and clearly should! But the thing is I have all the instructions and stuff in the handbook saying that the car has a sat nav and saying what the controls on the wheel do so they cant tell me that and say it shouldnt work or shouldnt have it when I bought the car knowing they were features!!

from what I have been reading around the forum and stuff its looking like its the steering wheel thats not compatible and it was previously 'jailbreaked' to have a sat nav but obviously they have been putting standard software on and its not working.

I fear that this is just about to get more complicated and its becoming a battle between me and VW now! shame. I just wish the guy I bought it from would stop treating me like im dirt and have a conversation. I think this is one for the management now...
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Thanks for all the replies guys :)

Lewis: I have no idea why it has the old steering wheel, its all odd! I knew when I bought it that 10plates usually have the new one but they said cos its a demo that it was different, stupid I guess. Ill check the chassis number!

Carlpea: It does yes

Sarah
skippy

Post by skippy »

They are liars Sarah, to say that a demo would have an old steering wheel! On the contrary, demo vehicles are always latest spec loaded with all the toys!

Ensure the chassis number on the bottom right edge of the windscreen matches with that of the docs. I don't think there will be an issue here, but as you have said, sounds like a previous owner has tried to force a fix for a retro fit unit by using an old steering wheel - madness!
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Ergh its all out of control!

Its still sat in the garage at the moment, when they take it in they have it for a week/two weeks at a time, which is why its so frustrating cos im not out enjoying it!
But im going to ask them for it back tomorrow cos they dont seem to be doing anything with it!

im going to gather all the information I can on it I think and speak to the manager tomorrow on my lunch break.
Ryy
Options: Sat Nav, Heated Leather Seats, Dynaudio, Kit with 19" alloys, 30mm Front / 20mm Rear Lowering Springs, Folding Mirrors, Interior Mats, REVO Stage 1, Carbon wrapped bits and bobs.

Post by Ryy »

Might not help, but my 59 plate was an ex demo car also, the dealer specifically didn't "register" the car until the 59 plates were out, instead I think they said running it on trade plates or something like that. So although my car is an 59 plate, it should be an 09 plate.

Have you checked the build label?

Great post here from RW1: http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 49&p=99838" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...and following on, here's how to get your build date: http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 838#p34952" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Should be able to see what it was originally built with and when.
mordred1973
In: Salsa Red
Options: 2nd Jan 10 redroc arrived:GT 2.0TSI, Salsa Red, Xenon's, Winter Pack, Pano Roof, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Flat Tyre Indicator, Leather, Electric Seat, RNS510 Fiscon bluetooth, beep on locking, revo stage 1 and sill protectors

Post by mordred1973 »

guys not always the case that Demo's are completely up to date.

when I bought my Roc (Jan 2010) I knew I was buying a 2009 model (old steering wheel and red MFD).

My car was built in Feb 2009, ordered as a showrtoom car, where it remained til it was first registered on 1st September 2009, when it was retained as a demo by the dealer til 2nd Jan 2010.

Therefore mine is a 59 reg, with old steering wheel and red MFD (the Satnav appears on the MFD as does the radio/CD/MDI and you can change station or track using the steering wheel buttoms)
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Thanks Ryy/mordred

I will be speaking to them today an telling them I'm not happy to have been fobbed off! Must say I expected more from Volkswagen! Its just once thing after another.
I called this morning and was told the guy dealing with it has a day off, so asked to speak to someone else who was very rude and unhelpful!
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Right, managed to get hold of the service manager.

They are looking into it again as I type this and they are now trying to find the codes for a replica car and compare it to mine to see where the fault is lying. However I asked why I was told yesterday that the directions and audio wasnt supposed to show on the MFD as you dont have to look very hard to find out that that is untrue, he agreed that it should be visible but kept saying he wasnt sure if I could see the 'compass' before....

Whats he on about? lol

I used to have the MFD showing single roads of where to turn next etc when I could have the audio on the head unit and vice versa now I cant see that, but although he agrees that I should see the roads on the MFD he is saying that he doesnt think I should see a compass. can anyone shed some light on what theres does? looking for people with 2010 and older please. At the end of the day the compass is a minor thing surely but I just wanted to know if this is bull**** again :)

Thanks, Sarah
carlpea

Post by carlpea »

Burble wrote:Right, managed to get hold of the service manager.

They are looking into it again as I type this and they are now trying to find the codes for a replica car and compare it to mine to see where the fault is lying. However I asked why I was told yesterday that the directions and audio wasnt supposed to show on the MFD as you dont have to look very hard to find out that that is untrue, he agreed that it should be visible but kept saying he wasnt sure if I could see the 'compass' before....

Whats he on about? lol

I used to have the MFD showing single roads of where to turn next etc when I could have the audio on the head unit and vice versa now I cant see that, but although he agrees that I should see the roads on the MFD he is saying that he doesnt think I should see a compass. can anyone shed some light on what theres does? looking for people with 2010 and older please. At the end of the day the compass is a minor thing surely but I just wanted to know if this is bull**** again :)

Thanks, Sarah
He might mean this on the white MFD?

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Thanks Carlpea, I had a scirocco before the one I have now that had the white mfd and new wheel and I remember it showing on that like the picture you sent but I dont recall seeing this on the red MFD but I may be wrong, its so long since ive had this function now!!

Anyone have this on the Red MFD?

Sarah
Gilez
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Folding mirrors, luxury mats, Black leather interior, DAB RCD510 Radio, Sill Protectors

LED side, interior, number plate, puddle and footwell lights.

DRL coded off, so side lights only. Beep for alarm set/unset coded on.

Build Week 5 2010
10.02.10 - on the boat to the UK
20.02.10 - Took delivery

Post by Gilez »

I am not sure if it will help, but if I were you, I would get in contact with VW UK Customer Services. From my experience, they dont take to kindly to Dealers messing customers around and can step in, and can only assume that they will do this with a used car too.
I can rely on my car, it's my Roc!!!
sugar_W
In: Rising Blue
Options: Beeps from behind / Sat-nag / Sunshine roof / Vienetta leather / Auto pilot / ABS problems :(

Post by sugar_W »

Burble wrote:Thanks Carlpea, I had a scirocco before the one I have now that had the white mfd and new wheel and I remember it showing on that like the picture you sent but I dont recall seeing this on the red MFD but I may be wrong, its so long since ive had this function now!!

Anyone have this on the Red MFD?

Sarah
58 plate / red MFD / RNS510 here, the compass is displayed in the 'Navigation' function in the MFD (nav needs to be inactive). There is also an 'Audio' function which shows song info etc on the MFD and the up/down steering wheel buttons will change track. Thats how it works on mine anyhow.