Scirocco 2.0 TSI 2009 Driveshaft - transmission leak

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Lauris47
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
With a: Manual box

Scirocco 2.0 TSI 2009 Driveshaft - transmission leak

Post by Lauris47 »

Hi,
Can someone help with information,
My car, Scirocco 2.0 TSI has an oil leak between transmission and drive shaft.

My friend told it is an easy job, as it is only seal that needs to be replaced. Is that true? Is it possible to do it without special tools?
Also I've been looking for this seal for 4 hours I cannot get the part number or where to buy it. Scirocco is often not even listed in part lists.

Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lauris47

Re: Scirocco 2.0 TSI 2009 Driveshaft - transmission leak

Post by Lauris47 »

Hey, I replaced this seal, it still leaks.
Did I miss something?
Jimjimjim
In: Candy White

Post by Jimjimjim »

Are you 100% sure it is coming from the transmission? I am currently fixing an oil leak where I noticed oil in the same place as yours. I did a bit of looking around under the air intake and noticed the top of the gear box was moist and found it was leaking from my vacuum pump on the side of the cylinder head.
Lauris47

Post by Lauris47 »

Thank you very much for reply. It might be the case I am not sure. This started happening after mechanic did chain assembly replacement. Can I see this spot from under, or I need to remove something from top?
Jimjimjim wrote:Are you 100% sure it is coming from the transmission? I am currently fixing an oil leak where I noticed oil in the same place as yours. I did a bit of looking around under the air intake and noticed the top of the gear box was moist and found it was leaking from my vacuum pump on the side of the cylinder head.
Jimjimjim

Post by Jimjimjim »

Stand battery side and shine a light between the battery and your air intake and you should see the top of your gearbox. See if it is moist.
Lauris47

Post by Lauris47 »

Thanks! It is mois, with oil, so I must have the same problem/leak from the same place. Was it hard to fix?
Jimjimjim wrote:Stand battery side and shine a light between the battery and your air intake and you should see the top of your gearbox. See if it is moist.
Jimjimjim

Post by Jimjimjim »

Does it look like fresh oil? If so the leak might be from above then. I would take the air filter box out and have a look around to see if you can see where it's coming from.
Lauris47

Post by Lauris47 »

So I finally forced myself to fix this in near 0c outside. At this point I don't know if it is solved or not, but in any case there was an oil leak in vacuum pump. Thanks Jimjimjim for pointing this out :} Hopefully it was the actual source of the oil on the driveshaft and on the ground eventually. I will know this after driving for few times, and parking it.

There are two places where it can leak. I didn't know where it was leaking from mine, but I took the cover off, and then took the whole vacuum pump too, to fix both possible places. On my engine, 2.0 TSI CAWB 2009, there is a seal for the outer cover, that can be removed with I think 5 bolts. The seal is so thin that it might have leaked trough it. But I have more suspicion that it leaked from the attachment to the engine block itself. There, there was no rubber seal, except metal one, which seemed rusty in some places, and in other places there was paint pealed from it. I put small amount of high temperature silicon on each side of this seal, and on the cover too.
1.JPG
2-oil-under-VW-TSI-2.0-vacuum-pump.JPG
3-seal-with-silicon.JPG
4-sealed-vacuum-pump.JPG
5-done.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jimjimjim

Post by Jimjimjim »

I'm happy you sorted it as we had the same problem at the same time (Ive fixed mine aswell).

For anyone else finding this thread in the future.... If you are doing this on the tsi engine (mine is the cczb) the vacuum pump bolts are no joke. They go directly into the cylinder head which is alluminium and if you apply too much force tightening them the bolt turns into a drill and will shread the thread of the bolt hole. Then you have to helicoil and messy stuff like that (the helicoil you need to repair these is a m6 x 1.0d).

The joke is the erwin manual states that the bolts are 8nm + 180 degree turn..... There is a very high chance you will strip the thread if you try do the 180 degree additional turn.