Repairing a damaged bumper

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
comradestalin

Repairing a damaged bumper

Post by comradestalin »

Hi guys,

A few months back I was a little careless in my Scirocco when reversing in a carpark and reversed at low speed into a transit van with massive bullbars on the front. You know that sinking feeling you get when you hear the crunch :(

The damage is all restricted to the rear bumper. It's not massively obvious but it is very annoying. There are a few scuffs on the paint there and there's a tear in the fibreglass material about an inch or two long.

Should I attempt to get it repaired or will it be better to get someone to replace the whole bumper ? VW or not VW ? (Car is November 09 so there's a year and a bit of warranty to go).
ZephyR
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: 18" Inters, Front fogs, Multi-function steering wheel, Parking sensors & Interior mats

Re: Repairing a damaged bumper

Post by ZephyR »

Had my rear bumper repaired (bit of filler and rub down) and resprayed by a local body shop. Just over £300.
comradestalin

Post by comradestalin »

Interesting. Were you happy with the job ?

I have a suspicion that that kind of money isn't too far away from getting VW to replace the bumper itself.
lancs_lad
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Salsa Red
Options: DAB Radio, Parking Sensors, Multi Function Steering Wheel, Tyre Pressure Sensors

Post by lancs_lad »

comradestalin wrote:Interesting. Were you happy with the job ?

I have a suspicion that that kind of money isn't too far away from getting VW to replace the bumper itself.
I would think you're looking at twice that at least, possibly nearer a thousand to replace a scirocco rear bumper. My wife had her Yaris rear bumper replaced 3 years ago and that set the insurers back £550.
scimitar
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
With a: DSG box
Options: parking sensors, folding mirrors, climate control ,big alloys, leather,
headlamp washers. Dynaudio, flat tyre sensors CD changer

Post by scimitar »

Pranged my wifes Corsa and split the bumper quite badly and dented tailgate, local body shop "stitched" bumper together and filled and sprayed and did great job- cost me £150- get another quote
gogzy01
In: Rising Blue
Options: Folding mirrors, reverse sensors, leather, sat nav

Post by gogzy01 »

I had my front bumper repaired a few months back. Filled and painted - £175 at an approved VW bodyshop. Brilliant job, you cant see a mark and paint match is perfect.
rickj
With a: DSG box
Options: leather,dsg,scirocco sills,bury bluetooth,mdi.

front bumper repaint

Post by rickj »

hi guys ,ive been offered a cheap 59 plare 2,0tsi gt,34k miles,front bumper seems to have a few scratches etc which look untidy,anyone had a repaint and can advise on ball part figure for full front bumper repaint thanks rick
Last edited by RW1 on Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved.
kianok
In: Deep Black
Options: C 320 CDi

Re: front bumper repaint

Post by kianok »

rickj wrote:hi guys ,ive been offered a cheap 59 plare 2,0tsi gt,34k miles,front bumper seems to have a few scratches etc which look untidy,anyone had a repaint and can advise on ball part figure for full front bumper repaint thanks rick
Had a respray on the rear bumper of my C Class recently at a cost of £150 (cause - car park retard). Can't see why it shouldn't be around that figure.