Another Happy Scirocco Day!

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
VWMerc
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: GT Wheels
Rear Parking Sensors
Winter Pack

Another Happy Scirocco Day!

Post by VWMerc »

I just got the news that my 1 year old 1.4 160PS Scirocco has got to have its engine replaced!

When I bought the car last year I drove 100 yards the engine light came on, took it straight back...new injector needed. It was 2nd hand and only had 6k miles on the clock...ex demo. Covered under warranty

2 days ago it stated chugging, engine light came on again so I just drove it straight to VW. After many blank stares from the fairies at reception I managed to speak to someone with a brain cell who informed me they will get the service guys to look at it on the Monday.

True to their word (after informing me they will sell me 2 new tyres for a a bargain price of £188.00 each) they let me know that one of my pistons had shattered somehow and fallen into the sump. This I assumed was not good. So after another day of investigation they have informed me its a new engine....I have to say, I'm quite pleased at that result. Under Warranty again. They have been very good to be fair to VW. Very helpful. They have put the new engine on order and expect to have it fitted by Friday...THIS WEEK!

Anyone else had a problem like this????
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
With a: DSG box
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Re: Another Happy Scirocco Day!

Post by RW1 »

Oh happy days alright......

They probably found this when they started taking a look.

Piston cracked
1-4TSi Piston Failure - 04.jpg
Bore scored.
1-4TSi Piston Failure - 03.jpg
Misfire in the cylinder problem leading to washing oil off the bore. The damage may have been done by the old injector failure but not enough to show up as a major problem. A year on, with the damage already in place, it had continued to worsen although at a much slower pace until it became terminal. Been quite a few reported like this, some time after the original problem was cleared.

C.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
VWMerc
Rear Parking Sensors
Winter Pack

Post by VWMerc »

So, with the new engine is it likely to happen again. Is this a reoccuring problem do you know?
RW1
Legend
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

It could but I doubt. Since about 18 months ago, most problems that lead to this sort of failure have been solved. But the dealers doing the fixes with the existing problem engine doesn't mean that an already slightly damaged engine will not stop deteriorating as written above. A new engine should be free of the problems as the root causes ain't going to happen.

The main improvements VW have introduced have been mainly improved injectors and revised engine ECU map to remove the incorrect coding of the knock sensor which led to the ignition misfire. Coil packs were limited to one weeks build (Wk38/2009) although given where coilpacks are on the hot cylinder head, they sometimes fail anyway. (I carry one round as a sparre in the boot.)

The injectors were sorted out in production at Wk34/2009 after a bad batch between Wk37/2009 - Wk48/2009.

The knock sensor problem leading to incorrect ignition timing was first rectified with engine ECU map G4008 (man.)/G4009 (auto.) in May 2009. Subsequent updates have been to correct fueling deficiencies in certain parts of the rpm range and have had no real effect on misfiring. And the latest being to correct low air humidity (below 20% levels) misfire during warm-up at around 35'C coolant temp.

Latest stock engine ECU software is 0888/8913 standard, which has been issued after the 24S4 workshop campaign, (24S4 was initially G5859/G5860 standard 24S4 link). Both are classed as the 24S4 workshop campaign update (not a recall but at the next convenient service call/dealer workshop visit). It will be ECU flashed as part of the of your new engine installation if not already done at a previous visit to the dealers. There will be a little sticker on the boot floor on the left side if it is done.

The other thing to do with the new engine is to reset the longlife spark plug gaps to 29thou - 31thou (0.74mm - 0.79mm). Above this, even at 33 thou, the engine misfires. The plug gap as supplied is set too wide, just at the upper VW workshop manual setting of 0.8mm - 0.9mm. Typically they are 0.89 - 0.90mm when fitted at the engine build plant or supplied as spares.

With the Supercharger producing 2 bar boost from the off at 1,100 rpm, the spark is getting blown out. Shortening the plug gap acheives a fatter more stable spark. Doing this tranforms the engine and it runs much smoother and quieter mechanically. There is a noticable step change!

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
ktmdave
Options: BiXenon headlamps
front fog lights
510 6CD radio with touch screen
Chip Logic 200HP ECU flashing
Custom paint on grill surround
Kufatec BlueTooth module
Heated leather seats
Cruise Control

1.4 Tsi missfire and engine failure

Post by ktmdave »

My Roc current back at the dealers again.
All started with the dreaded misfire.
Eventually only on 3 cylinders and heavy oil usage.
Cylinder head removed and piston cracked in ring groove.
Total engine swop hopefully soon.

This is a COMMON problem. Keep an eye on your misfire problems before it is too late.
VWMerc
Rear Parking Sensors
Winter Pack

Post by VWMerc »

I never experienced any misfires at all. One minute all was fine, the next minute it was chugging like it had been on 60 a day. As long as its under warranty I am not too bothered. VW have been very good and I have been told my car will be ready Friday so thats 7 days from dropping it off on Satruday afternoon to them looking at it Tuesday, ordering the engine and fitting it. It is not to inconvenient as I do have a second motor.
RW1
Legend

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

VWMerc wrote:One minute all was fine, the next minute it was chugging like it had been on 60 a day.
Yep, just what happens in a lot of cases as it fatigues. Normal one minute, gone the next.

C.
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
ktmdave
Options: BiXenon headlamps
front fog lights
510 6CD radio with touch screen
Chip Logic 200HP ECU flashing
Custom paint on grill surround
Kufatec BlueTooth module
Heated leather seats
Cruise Control

Update on engine failure

Post by ktmdave »

VW has approved that engine will be replaced in entirety.
Engine on order.
Lets see how long that takes here in South Africa (there are thousands of TSi's here).
Will be interesting to see how the warrenty will work in the future.
VWMerc
Rear Parking Sensors
Winter Pack

Post by VWMerc »

What a nightmare...always sweetness and light, then they dropped it off. (I live near them so they chose to do that as a gesture)

Firstly there was a banging sound from the engine and it was shaking all over the place once I started it, then I took it for a quick drive the clutch was vibrating like hell, there was a chip out of the bonnet and to top it all off it was disgustingly dirty. Funny, the day before they asked if VW were to call me what would I rate them at between 1 and 5, before I got my car back it was a 5.

So, dropped the car off Saturday. They 1stly said they cleaned the car before they dropped it off which was bullsh1t, then as good as accused me of doing the chip, which I know I didnt do as I had cleaned the car the day before I dropped it off. Its not like its the only chip out the paint work but I never pointed them out as I know they were there before.

They ring me on Monday and said that though the car had been "quality checked" that somehow during the time they drove it from the workshop (2 mins from my house) some bearing or other had fallen off the clutch which is why everything was shaking...clearly lies. They said they would fully valet the car, polish it in and out and polish the wheels....for free. Very kind of them to do it for FREE cheeky bastards.

They dropped it off last night. All is ok thank god. Car is driving smooth as silk however if thats what they consider a valet and polish then they need to sack the people doing it....terrible job.

New rating 2 out of 5. Would have been 1 but they did rectify their cock up quickly.
VWMerc
Rear Parking Sensors
Winter Pack

Post by VWMerc »

Oh, I never mentioned, this was after they put the new engine in and the works were complete....
RW1
Legend

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Engine aside... I'd find an alternative dealer and only used the one next door if you are in circumstances where you can't avoid them for service.

I moved 5 miles to another dealer 12 months ago because the workshop were monkeys. Been happy ever since.

C.
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
tazz2005nz
Options: fog lights, carpets

Post by tazz2005nz »

well at least i am not the only one with problems with my scirocco 1.4 160 tsi. its 2 years old with 18k on the clock. my engine light has come on again. the 3rd week running. 1st they said it was a turbo pipe, they replaced that under warrenty. 2nd they said it needed software update. that did the trick for about a week then yesterday the engine light came back on. took by car back to the dealer now they are saying that the air pressure is missing circulations. They said it would take a week to fix. i think they haven't got a clue what they are doing. all i want is my car to work.