RCD 510 MDI iPod Issues

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
Jimmy182
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Shadow Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: 18" Lagos, Parking Sensors, Climate Control, Deep Tints

RCD 510 MDI iPod Issues

Post by Jimmy182 »

Hi,

Recently bought a 120GB iPod classic, Ive been running a 1st gen 16gb iPod touch with the MDI cable with no issues, other than the ones that keep coming up on here - intermitent play etc.

I plugged the 120gb iPod in today and it works a treat when the ignitions on, can change the tracks with the wheel etc, No problems.
As soon as i pull away it stops, If im lucky i get about 30 secs of music and then thats it, The song title is still displayed on the screen but the mins and secs counter stops. Ive tried disconnecting the cable from both ends and whilst it provides a temp fix, 30 secs later im back to square one.
Ive had the cable in the ipod and had songs playing whilst ive been moving the ipod around side to side - whilst stationary and had no problems, It just seems to be when im moving, Anyone had any similar problems?

Thanks
Sootchucker
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Bluetooth, RNS-510 Nav, Parking Sensors, Dynaudio, Cruise Control, Folding Mirrors, Winter Pack, Puddle lights, covered cup holder, rear air vents (working), door warning lights)

Re: RCD 510 MDI iPod Issues

Post by Sootchucker »

When the iPod stops playing (when you are moving), if you then stop the car (without messing with the MDI cables) does it resume playback?
Jimmy182

Post by Jimmy182 »

No, Stays stopped, Looking at the screen on the iPod, Looks like its disconnecting itself.
Scott_mac
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Night Blue
Options: Multifunction Wheel, Bluetooth, Cruise Control

Post by Scott_mac »

Does the iPod have some sort of anti shock on the hard drive? I'm clutching at straws here... but if the drive senses movement it may think it's falling and thus it may stop the drive spinning to prevent data loss.
Current:
2011 VW Scirocco 1.4TSi DSG
2001 Citroen Saxo 1.1 Desire
1972 VW Beetle 1302S
1967 Lotus Elan +2 130S

Previous:
2008 Toyota Avensis 2.2 D-4D TR
1998 Lotus Elise
1998 Peugeot 106 Rallye
*Deleted to avoid embarrassment*
Jeffao
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Deep Black
Options: Vienna Leather, Bi-Xenon's, Pano Roof, Dynaudio, Parking Sensors, Cruise, Elec Folding Mirrors. Smokers Pack (for covered storage area), BMT, Coloured MFD, Tyre pressure Ind.
RNS-510 SatNav (video-in-motion enabled) + Voice Control & safety camera database, VW Bluetooth (iPhone5) Led Drl's.

Post by Jeffao »

Try updating /resetting the firmware via itunes, their is some known issues re: the dock connector interface that have been identified!

Regards J.
Last edited by Jeffao on Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sootchucker
Options: Bluetooth, RNS-510 Nav, Parking Sensors, Dynaudio, Cruise Control, Folding Mirrors, Winter Pack, Puddle lights, covered cup holder, rear air vents (working), door warning lights)

Post by Sootchucker »

Strange this one. Ian, the Ipod's have a read ahread cache onboard to prevent music interuption in case of a hard drive jolt so I don't think it's that. Think it's a case of trying to narrow down the problem.

Did you say your original 16GB Ipod works fine ? If so, that tends to rule out the MDI interface itself. I would then try (if you can) swapping the Ipod cable in the MDI unit for another (possibily from a friend ?), to see if it's a poor connection between the MDI and the Ipod.

If that doesn't work, try docking the ipod in your home computer and see if it plays fine without stalling. Can't really think of much else I'm afriad as I've never come across that one before. Could always be a fauly Ipod with a bad contact to the circuit board inside which gets distrubed when you are moving (clutching at straws here).
Sootchucker

Post by Sootchucker »

Oh yes, as Jeffao says above, try resetting the ipod from within Itunes. How old is the Rocco anyway and was the MDI fitted from the factory or retro fitted by you. I know there are also some firmware updates available for the MDI unit itself, and I think these are available on the my-gti.com site.

You will need a USB stick and a USB MDI cable though.
popjunkie
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Rising Blue
Options: Leather, sunroof, RNS-510, shiny interlagos.

Post by popjunkie »

I currently use an 80GB Ipod classic on my MDI with the RNS-510, and I've not had any of the problems you've encountered. The only issues I've had are that sometimes the interface gets slow, which can end up with the Ipod freezing and requiring a re-start.

I think it could be a problem with your Ipod. Have you used it for any extended period of time outside your car?
Jimmy182

Post by Jimmy182 »

Thanks for all the replies chaps.

I bought the iPod on Monday off a mate, for the simple reason i needed more than 16gb in the car. I'll try updating the firmware on it now and see if that works, I very rarely use an iPod with headphones as i tend to use my phone. Im thinking that that the issue is going to be from the iPod as my other works fine, This one works fine with the unit untill you move and after about 30 secs it just stops playing and it seems its disconnecting itself from the unit as when i look at the screen it doesnt say its connecting like it does when you plug it in, The Rocco is just over two years old, had it a couple of months so im presuming its a factory fitted unit and MDI. Looks like im gonna have to pick up an MDI iPod lead, Id try a new lead but unfortunately i know no-one else who has a similar car or lead to try!
Sootchucker

Post by Sootchucker »

Jimmy,

I'll need it back but if you pm me with your details, I have a spare Ipod MDI lead I can loan you for test purposes.

Andrew
Jimmy182

Post by Jimmy182 »

Andrew, That would be brilliant if you dont mind, Ive just tried to Pm you but its not letting me yet, May need to post a bit more, Are you local to Manchester?
jammyd
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Bluetooth, Cruise Control... and a button in the roof which does not do anything! oh and I have just found I have TPMS which I did not order!

Post by jammyd »

Hi Jimmy, I am local to Manchester ( I am in Warrington) I think Sootchucker is too. Once you get your posts up to 10 I think, then you can PM... I may well have a spare MDI cable, as long as my new car comes with one included. I by accident :rolleyes: kept the one from my last car :clap:

2011 Rising Blue 170GT TDI DSG (its on my drive!)
2010 Candy White Roc Now Gone :(
2008 Meteor Grey TT TDI
2005 Deep Blue Golf GT TDI
The Cars before do not matter!
Jimmy182

Post by Jimmy182 »

Jammyd, if I try sootchuckers and it's fine would you sell your spare one?
Sootchucker

Post by Sootchucker »

jammyd wrote:I by accident :rolleyes: kept the one from my last car :clap:
Ahem, cough......so did I :D

Yeas, jammyd, I'm also in Warrington.
Sootchucker

Post by Sootchucker »

Hey, jammyd, just noticed your sig says you are picking your car up today. So am I !!!

Dont suppose it's from Warrington VW by any chance, ascif so, we may see each other there today :lol:
jammyd
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Bluetooth, Cruise Control... and a button in the roof which does not do anything! oh and I have just found I have TPMS which I did not order!

Post by jammyd »

Hi Jimmy, yeah if it sort's it out let me know,

Sootchucker, I steer away from Warrington VW with my life. so much so I will drive to Chester to get my service done! I got mine through a broker ( friend of a friend) and so it actually came from Newcastle.

2011 Rising Blue 170GT TDI DSG (its on my drive!)
2010 Candy White Roc Now Gone :(
2008 Meteor Grey TT TDI
2005 Deep Blue Golf GT TDI
The Cars before do not matter!
Jimmy182

Post by Jimmy182 »

Issue now sorted, Thanks for your help guys. VW replaced the lead under warrantly after they tested it and found it to be rather bobbins!