ipod search function

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
tildesley
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box
Options: fog lights and parking beeping things :)

ipod search function

Post by tildesley »

morning all,

got the old ipod in the car, using playlists etc but i have over 2000 songs in it though (yeh i know ok, dont put 2000 songs on it then)
so, does the ipod search function show up on the RCD510, because it would make my life a lot easier... according to my manual (premium 8, page 8) there is an on screen keyboard but i cant find it and it seems perfect for this type of thing?

ideas?

cheers guys (and girls)
topicalkeith
In: Sumatra
Options: cruise, tinted windows, mats, DAB radio, tyre press indicators, parking sensors, MF Steering wheel

Re: ipod search function

Post by topicalkeith »

All I know is to press selection and then the button in the top left of the screen to navigate back to the root list and then go in to the playlists. Not sure if it does more than that, keep us posted if it does.
Kev
Administrator
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
Options: Leather, cruise, parking sensors, folding mirrors, flat tyre indicator
Sadly replaced in Nov '16 by a TTS!

Post by Kev »

Yep I'd like that too but all you can do is list by artist and scroll (which is poorly done).
tildesley
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: fog lights and parking beeping things :)

Post by tildesley »

Kev wrote:Yep I'd like that too but all you can do is list by artist and scroll (which is poorly done).
totally agree, if the slider did as it was told, i'd be ok with it. still cant find any use for that keyboard...
webbyal
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box

Post by webbyal »

if anyone has any ideas on this i would be really grateful - have nearly 4000 songs on ipod and a nightmare when wanting to find a particular song! PS am new here so first post - sorry if anyone already answered or i missed some etiquette!! : :)
Sootchucker
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Candy White
Options: Bluetooth, RNS-510 Nav, Parking Sensors, Dynaudio, Cruise Control, Folding Mirrors, Winter Pack, Puddle lights, covered cup holder, rear air vents (working), door warning lights)

Post by Sootchucker »

VW have this facility for looking up phone contacts in the premium bluetooth module on the RNS using the on screen alpha-numeric keyboard, so dont see why they cant impliment this on the MDI side?
Kev
Administrator

Post by Kev »

Playlists don't cost you any space. You could make groups of alphabetical smart playlists (such as artist begins with A, artist beings with B) and you can group those, so you could split the alphabet in to quarters to group the bands in to smaller playlists.
popjunkie
Options: Leather, sunroof, RNS-510, shiny interlagos.

Post by popjunkie »

Kev wrote:Playlists don't cost you any space. You could make groups of alphabetical smart playlists (such as artist begins with A, artist beings with B) and you can group those, so you could split the alphabet in to quarters to group the bands in to smaller playlists.
I tried this, but the problem is that the system then displays according to song rather than artist within each playlist...

Looks like its back to hit-and-miss scrolling through the "artists" list.
Kev
Administrator

Post by Kev »

I haven't tested it but doesn't the ipod list things based on what you had itunes set up to do, ie listed alphabetically by artist or title etc?
popjunkie
Options: Leather, sunroof, RNS-510, shiny interlagos.

Post by popjunkie »

Kev wrote:I haven't tested it but doesn't the ipod list things based on what you had itunes set up to do, ie listed alphabetically by artist or title etc?
Yup the iPod does, and so does my RNS, however because I can't scroll through a list of artists within the playlist (I can only scroll through a list of song titles which are sorted by artist), its not easy to see where in the list of songs the songs of one artist end and another begin.