Did you behave for the first 1,000 miles?

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.

Did you behave for the first 1,000 miles and stay under 3,000 rpm?

Yes
25%
I plan to
38%
No, I'm naughty!
38%

Total votes: 61

Candy Monster
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: Leather, Parking Sensors, Electric Folding Mirrors, Flat Tyre Indicator, DVD Nav, Premium Sills, Alloy pedals, Boot Liner, Custom GT Mats, GT badge, 20s, Cruise, R32 trim, Silver 'A pieces', debadged, White VW badges, Eibach springs, Revo, custom enginge cover, custom air dam, orange rub strips

Did you behave for the first 1,000 miles?

Post by Candy Monster »

Was wondering if everyone has stayed under 3,000 rpm for the first 1,000 miles as suggested by the dealer? or plans to.

I plan to but it's pretty frustrating! :cry:
Bagwafu
In: Deep Black
With a: DSG box
Options: Truffle, Panroof, Both Sensors, Cruise, Dynaudio, Lecky Seat, Mats, Pedals, Sills, Steering Wheel GT Insert and LifeShine. Parrot Bluetooth. GTI Fast.

Now with APS Remap and Milltek Cat Back Non Resonated

Re: Did you behave for the first 1,000 miles?

Post by Bagwafu »

Frankly it was very difficult, but then my dealer said don't rag it till about 700 miles. I did rag it a bit but not much before that as ..... frankly it was very difficult :D
rehmondo
Options: Leather • Winter • Sunroof • Cruise • DAB • Park • Tyre • Mirrors • Mats • Mudflaps • Prem Sills • Pedals • Jewelultra Diamondbrite • Bluefin Remap • Carbonio CAI • LED Pack

Post by rehmondo »

Yes I did only after 1500 did I start letting it rip, coincidently tonight was the first night I stuck it in S and put my foot down, wanted to get home quickly it reached the 7k rpm before changing gear - wow it was indeed.

Just keep it up, it won't be long before you go past 1000, trust me and you'll feel better this way.

I'm on 3200 miles now in 3 months but still take it easy most days, I got £60 and 3 points for my troubles 3 weeks in, so that has calmed me down a little.
Candy Monster
Options: Leather, Parking Sensors, Electric Folding Mirrors, Flat Tyre Indicator, DVD Nav, Premium Sills, Alloy pedals, Boot Liner, Custom GT Mats, GT badge, 20s, Cruise, R32 trim, Silver 'A pieces', debadged, White VW badges, Eibach springs, Revo, custom enginge cover, custom air dam, orange rub strips

Post by Candy Monster »

I always make sure to run my cars in properly but have never been so keen to try out the acceleration :hyper: I only cover about 7k a year on average so may be a little wait but i don't plan on caning it everywhere, just want to give the accelerator a little tickle :D

Pick up in 6th (and comfort mode) was impressive though on the way back from the dealer :clap:
shooms
In: Rising Blue
Options: Pano sunroof, Dynaudio, premium sills, metal pedals & alu gear-knob.

Post by shooms »

I'm plan on taking a long weekend to visit friends in the Midlands, Manchester & Liverpool when I pick mine up in March.

Job done in a weekend ;)
LCM
Options: Anthracite Leather - Dynaudio - Parking Sensors - Electric Mirrors - No Badge - Winter Pack - Mats - Tyre Indicators - GT Steering Wheel Badge - Metal Pedals - Premium Cills - Private Plate T20 ROC. Superchips Bluefin Remap 250bhp/400Nm

Post by LCM »

Not to try and play on semantics but depends what you mean by "behave".

I certainly played safe for the first couple of weeks with only the occasional quick blast when overtaking. I am up in the early 3k miles now and am admittedly now happy to let loose when conditions allow.

Empty Scottish mountain roads with no "safety" cameras over the festive break was too much to bear without playing a little bit harder than normal, and a foot to the floor on the M1 at 3 am may have happened (or may not have if you are a rozzer reading this). :p

End of the day its a sports car and one of the reasons that I bought it. I am not into trying to kill cars but once you have clocked a good few hundred miles and given the modern technology you are driving I see no harm whatsoever of having a bit of fun.

I certainly condone taking it a bit easy until everything settles in and also driving as the conditions allow (advanced driver here) but from my experience your Roc will be like a tin of Ronseal - it does exactly what it says on the tin!! :clap:

Roc On!!
Last edited by LCM on Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Roc was fast - but now its FASTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roc On!!
rehmondo
Options: Leather • Winter • Sunroof • Cruise • DAB • Park • Tyre • Mirrors • Mats • Mudflaps • Prem Sills • Pedals • Jewelultra Diamondbrite • Bluefin Remap • Carbonio CAI • LED Pack

Post by rehmondo »

Just basically agreeing with what LCM just said :yes:
chr15

Post by chr15 »

Its naughty but I lasted about 65 miles :(

New engines are run in at the factory anyway, took it upto 5-5.5k about 5 or so times in 2nd gear so not abused it to much. I would rather vary the type of driving it does for the first few hundred than have no fun in it for ages. It would take me about 6-7 weeks minimum to do 1000 miles so couldn't last that long.
heavymetalmayhem
Options: Leather, DSG, premium mats.

Post by heavymetalmayhem »

I took it easy for all of about 200miles - there is no way I could hold out for 1000miles. I always wait until the engine is properly warmed up before using full throttle or taking it above 3,000rpm. 3,200miles in and does not appear to have used any oil.
ryancooke
Options: xenons, folding mirrors, dynamic audio, floor mats (free) autoglym (free)

now modified with dump valve, boost gauge in custom made vent, "gt" steering wheel badge, carbon fibre badges, rs4 wheels, lowered 35mm, private plate S18OCO, custom de-cat and cat back exhaust with quad tips, air filter behind fog lamp heat wrapped, customised front bumper grills painted gloss black, customised rear bumper smoothed and lower spoiler painted gloss black, mouldings and mirrors sprayed in gloss black, gloss black roof and rear spoiler, colour coded dash trims, door trims, centre console trims and rear seat trims, led fog light bulbs, s3 intercooler, audi a4 "S line" gear knob, newspeed hi-flow throttle body pipe, newspeed hi-flow turbo pipe, uprated dog mount bush, front to back and side to side quickshift, 20mm front spacers

Post by ryancooke »

yeah new cars dont really need to be bedded in, because they are done so from factory, but dont "loosen up" propperly till around 2500 miles, i kept the revs to 3.5k the first 250 miles, then 4.5k the next 250, then 5.5k the next 250, and so on, but didnt go above 90 (private road ofcourse)
MY CARS IS SOLD 21.5K BETTER OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DavidH
Options: Vienna Leather, Xenons, Dynaudio, Factory Bluetooth and Mats

Post by DavidH »

I think the idea is be gentle with them at first to reduce the risk of any mechanical failures early in the engines life (when it's at higher risk). I read an article somewhere interviewing an engineer (from ford i think) on the subject. The tolerances are such that the way you run it in isn't going to affect the performance or longevity, just as a precaution with a brand new engine. Just have a little mechanical sympathy. The idea of running in a bike engine at full chat from the get go apparently doesn't apply to production car engines.

Luckily it's too slippy at the moment to get any power down anyway, so i'm just stroking mine along for now. You can carry a fair pace without using much power anyway.
bennylenny88
Options: leather pack, floor mats

Post by bennylenny88 »

on the subject of running in is this the reason why it wont let you rev over 4k when stood?
robrob
Options: SAT-NAV, PAN SUNROOF, LEATHER, PARKING SENSORS, CRUISE CONTROL, WINTER PACK, FOLDING MIRRORS.

Post by robrob »

Candy Monster wrote:Was wondering if everyone has stayed under 3,000 rpm for the first 1,000 miles as suggested by the dealer? or plans to.
I'm sure the book says 1000km rather than 1000 miles?

Took it easy until a reached 620 miles (1000km) and then let myself have some fun...

Although, I have had the car for 3 months now, and done less than 1000 miles...
rehmondo

Post by rehmondo »

As far as I remember the book said 1500KM so I just settled for 1000 Miles and let it rip after that :clap:
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

did run mine in and keep checking the oil and no need for a top up and does not seem to have the usaul tsi drink problem
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
bungle
Options: Vienna Leather. Folding Mirrors. Parking Sensors. Carpet Mats.

Post by bungle »

I'm only up to about 400 miles so far, but I've given it its head a few times, but, only momentarily, and only when the engine is fully warmed through...
silver130
In: Indium Grey
Options: Indium Grey. 2.0 GT. DSG. Panoramic Sunroof. Dynaudio. Rear Parking Sensors. Bluetooth Hands Free. Cruise Control.
Aluminium Pedals. Sill Trims. Premium Mats.
Now Gone. Scirocco 2.0 GT Manual
Rising Blue Paint. Dynaudio.Premium Mats. aluminium Pedals. Sill Trims. R32 Gearknob.

Post by silver130 »

Lasted a few Hundred miles then Whoooooohooooooooo :driver: :driver: :driver:
IF IT'S NOT BROKEN
I'VE NOT TOUCHED IT YET !!