Damaged Front Grill

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
timboa
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: Leather, rear sensors

Damaged Front Grill

Post by timboa »

Hi All,

I managed to hit a rather large hare/rabbit in the wife's Rocco last night. Went with a bit of a thud but fortunately only damage is a smashed grill under the front number plate.

Been to see local dealer today and he's quoted 30 odd quid for a replacement (good news!!) but believes the whole of the front bumper will need removing in order to fit replacement grill...quote is now £220 (bad news!!)

Anyone know if this is the case or is my dealer trying it on?

Cheers.
drnick
In: Rising Blue
Options: leather, Nav, Park sensors

Re: Damaged Front Grill

Post by drnick »

I don't know for certain but i'd reckon the bumper probably will want to come off. Ryancooke will be able to tell you as he works at a VW bodyshop. Even if this is the case i'd get the part yourself and either try it yourself if you're feeling handy or try a local garage?

PS - welcome along! Hope you're enjoying your beast!
DavidH
Options: Vienna Leather, Xenons, Dynaudio, Factory Bluetooth and Mats

Post by DavidH »

I hit a Badger when i first got my last car. The damage was considerable, it bent the front chassis cross member, needed a radiator and a lot of plastic parts including a wheel arch liner, under tray, and other bits and bobs that shattered with the impact. It was a big badger.

I live in the sticks so am constantly avoiding animals, and i'm usually bloody good at it, my tally is extremely low considering how many years i've been driving these roads, it's all about predicting which way they're going to go and you get good at reading them (here's a tip, with a group of rabbits they nearly always follow each other if one bolts, even if it means crossing right across the road) but this time i couldn't make a descision, and it was at speed so i think i did the right thing. You could feel the impact through the car, big dog badgers get quite heavy. :eek:
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

found this today (you can thank kev) which may help you with your grille issue

Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
ryancooke
Options: xenons, folding mirrors, dynamic audio, floor mats (free) autoglym (free)

now modified with dump valve, boost gauge in custom made vent, "gt" steering wheel badge, carbon fibre badges, rs4 wheels, lowered 35mm, private plate S18OCO, custom de-cat and cat back exhaust with quad tips, air filter behind fog lamp heat wrapped, customised front bumper grills painted gloss black, customised rear bumper smoothed and lower spoiler painted gloss black, mouldings and mirrors sprayed in gloss black, gloss black roof and rear spoiler, colour coded dash trims, door trims, centre console trims and rear seat trims, led fog light bulbs, s3 intercooler, audi a4 "S line" gear knob, newspeed hi-flow throttle body pipe, newspeed hi-flow turbo pipe, uprated dog mount bush, front to back and side to side quickshift, 20mm front spacers

Post by ryancooke »

if you have the right tools you could take the grill out without taking the bumper off, a good selection of screwdrivers and plasic screwdrivers/spreaders (so you dont scratch or mark the paintwork) would help.

the side trims are easially removed (fog light covers) and the indicator and side light holder is held in with a 20 or a 25 torx screw, but you can also use a flat blade screwdriver, as the screw has a slot for that aswel (you will have to bend right down and look upwards to see the screw).

then with everything out the way, the centre grill is just clipped on, but these are like the seat altea grills, so be carefull they will be tight, might be easier to take the bumper off
MY CARS IS SOLD 21.5K BETTER OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

ryan cheers for the help on that one :yes:
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
rehmondo
With a: DSG box
Options: Leather • Winter • Sunroof • Cruise • DAB • Park • Tyre • Mirrors • Mats • Mudflaps • Prem Sills • Pedals • Jewelultra Diamondbrite • Bluefin Remap • Carbonio CAI • LED Pack

Post by rehmondo »

ryancooke wrote:so be carefull they will be tight, might be easier to take the bumper off
I'd recommend taking the bumper off too, you never know what you might end up scratching, bending or cracking when trying to force the grill in.
timboa
Options: Leather, rear sensors

Post by timboa »

Cheers all. I'll wait to see exactly what the dealer says once the grill is in stock. £200 quid to take off a bumper still sounds dear to me, I'd have thought it was only an hours job...unless VW charge £160 an hour now!!!

PS - drnick, am enjoying it when I can get the keys off the missus, I swear she sleeps with them under her pillow and the hare incident has made her even less keen for me to take her pride n joy out (guess who gets to clean it though :no: )
adamj
In: Pewter Grey
Options: Metallic paint,mats, prem sills, Merlin Cloth, Hatchbag and a nice stone chip on the bonnet.

Post by adamj »

Interesting one this.

The trim around my offside fog lamp is loose and won't clip back in (no matter how hard you hit it) I have tried taking it off and putting it back in but it just pops out again.

I went to VW and they decided it needed replacing so will order new trims.

Just spoken to them now and they have ordred 3 parts which I assume is the center bit and 2 new fog lamp surrounds. Apparently they will be fitted while I wait in 30 minutes tomorrow morning :?

Keeping in mind this is the VW dealer that took 1 hour to replace my drivers wiperblade....

Will be keeping a close eye on them and will let you know how it goes.
ryancooke
Options: xenons, folding mirrors, dynamic audio, floor mats (free) autoglym (free)

now modified with dump valve, boost gauge in custom made vent, "gt" steering wheel badge, carbon fibre badges, rs4 wheels, lowered 35mm, private plate S18OCO, custom de-cat and cat back exhaust with quad tips, air filter behind fog lamp heat wrapped, customised front bumper grills painted gloss black, customised rear bumper smoothed and lower spoiler painted gloss black, mouldings and mirrors sprayed in gloss black, gloss black roof and rear spoiler, colour coded dash trims, door trims, centre console trims and rear seat trims, led fog light bulbs, s3 intercooler, audi a4 "S line" gear knob, newspeed hi-flow throttle body pipe, newspeed hi-flow turbo pipe, uprated dog mount bush, front to back and side to side quickshift, 20mm front spacers

Post by ryancooke »

adamj wrote:Just spoken to them now and they have ordred 3 parts which I assume is the center bit and 2 new fog lamp surrounds. Apparently they will be fitted while I wait in 30 minutes tomorrow morning :?
theres 3 seperate bits where the fog lights are, so maybe they ordered them, theres the "fog light finns" then theres the "side light/indicator" surround, and then the bit that goes around the fog light itself, two screws hold these on, easy job
MY CARS IS SOLD 21.5K BETTER OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
adamj
Options: Metallic paint,mats, prem sills, Merlin Cloth, Hatchbag and a nice stone chip on the bonnet.

Post by adamj »

ryancooke wrote:
adamj wrote:Just spoken to them now and they have ordred 3 parts which I assume is the center bit and 2 new fog lamp surrounds. Apparently they will be fitted while I wait in 30 minutes tomorrow morning :?
theres 3 seperate bits where the fog lights are, so maybe they ordered them, theres the "fog light finns" then theres the "side light/indicator" surround, and then the bit that goes around the fog light itself, two screws hold these on, easy job
It was the 2 new fog lamp surrounds and the center section.

They managed to damage my car though while putting it on the ramp to fit them:

http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... ?f=2&t=682
arlurt
I drive a: R-Line
In: Deep Black
Options: Changes will be made...
Puddle lights, Cruise and Reversing Camera on the cards.

Post by arlurt »

The centre (un-painted) section of my front grill is not wearing well at all. Has anyone else had any problems?

The surface of the plastic is going rough, looks as though it's been blasted with sharp gravel. The car's now done 3600 miles, most of these on A and B roads, but hasn't suffered any stone chip damage to the paintwork at all, not even the painted section below the grill. It looks like the plactic is too soft for the position on the car.

I like the look of the painted grills I've seen, but if the plastic is soft, then it will look even worse with stone chips through the paint and into the plastic.
Candy Monster
Options: Leather, Parking Sensors, Electric Folding Mirrors, Flat Tyre Indicator, DVD Nav, Premium Sills, Alloy pedals, Boot Liner, Custom GT Mats, GT badge, 20s, Cruise, R32 trim, Silver 'A pieces', debadged, White VW badges, Eibach springs, Revo, custom enginge cover, custom air dam, orange rub strips

Post by Candy Monster »

arlurt wrote:The centre (un-painted) section of my front grill is not wearing well at all. Has anyone else had any problems?

The surface of the plastic is going rough, looks as though it's been blasted with sharp gravel. The car's now done 3600 miles, most of these on A and B roads, but hasn't suffered any stone chip damage to the paintwork at all, not even the painted section below the grill. It looks like the plactic is too soft for the position on the car.

I like the look of the painted grills I've seen, but if the plastic is soft, then it will look even worse with stone chips through the paint and into the plastic.

yeah it is too soft, i have no stone chips apart from the 'piping' type bit around the air dam. done 1400 miles.
arlurt

Post by arlurt »

I'm going to mention it next time I'm at the dealer. I don't think I'm top of their Christmas Card List so there's nothing to lose...
BlackRoc
Options: Leather
Sat Nav
Winter Pack
Parking Sensors
Premium Mats (got them free..)
GT Steering wheel badge

Post by BlackRoc »

Arlurt - I know what you mean because I have it too. I noticed it 2 weeks ago when I was washing the car, It has got a 'sandblasted' look to it - I know I got cought behind a gritter several weeks back, I tried to stay back but I guess that could have been the cause. It shouldnt be that soft though should it? :cry:
No Scirocco now - Just a black '57 Plate Black Jetta!
arlurt

Post by arlurt »

Well that's three of us with the same problem on low milage cars, then maybe VW already know about it? If there's a fix for later models the that must be the way to go...
adamj

Post by adamj »

arlurt wrote:Well that's three of us with the same problem on low milage cars, then maybe VW already know about it? If there's a fix for later models the that must be the way to go...
Mine is looking like this too.
mjb766
Options: Parking sensors

Post by mjb766 »

Glad I found this thread. Just got back from first weekend away in the new Roc, 20 miles from home a pheasant came out of nowhere and went through the grill, got wedged in there (and was still alive, which was a nice treat to see as we pulled over...). Luckily some friendly locals, far better adjusted to the country than I, helped get it out. Called the AA out as a precaution, the guy was relieved we'd got the bird out. Didn't look like there was any damage to the radiator or air-con, drove home fine and air-con still working properly.

Will call dealer tomorrow to get new grill ordered, timboa is there any progress on your repair? Am fine spending up to £100, but £220 for a £30 part seems excessive!
tartangti
Options: Anthracite Vienna Leather, Rear Parking Sensors, Electric Folding Mirrors, Flat Tyre Indicator, Smokers Pack!

Post by tartangti »

timboa wrote: Been to see local dealer today and he's quoted 30 odd quid for a replacement (good news!!) but believes the whole of the front bumper will need removing in order to fit replacement grill...quote is now £220 (bad news!!)
If the part's only £30 I'd be surprised if it cost £190 for labour to take the bumper off to replace it? MIght be worth buying the part yourself and/or going round a few more garages to get quotes? Guess it doesn't need to be a VW Garage either as long as you're got the replacement part.
mjb766
Options: Parking sensors

Post by mjb766 »

Have just been quoted £38 for the part and £50 for fitting (all +VAT) from my local VW dealer (Beadles Dartford). They've already ordered the part and say they can fix it saturday while I wait. Am really impressed, well I will be until they tell me there's more significant damage (a conversation I am hoping beyond hope doesn't happen).