BMW 1 Series

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Lovepug13

BMW 1 Series

Post by Lovepug13 »

Hi,

I am still waiting for my black TDi to be delivered. I have never test driven a Scirocco (mainly cos it was a last minute fleet purchase and I wanted to get order in before any price / vat increase).

I managed to nab a BMW 118d M-Sport today and was really impressed by its handling and response. I dont regret ordering the Scirocco, I was just wondering if anyone had any comments or hopefully experience in relation to both cars.

RWD dynamics aside.....Does the Scirocco feel as good as this to drive? If its a yes then I am looking forward to delivery day! :)
Deagol
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box
Options: Parking sensors, Winter pack, Black Leather, Flat Tyre indicator, Mudflaps
Pump & Music from another dimension

Re: BMW 1 Series

Post by Deagol »

Hi there,

Never driven a BMW, especially the 1 series, but I have spoken with many people who have had beemers. Lots of them were not impressed by seat comfort - how was the M-Sport? Did you nab the car for a good long drive or was it a quick "round the block" ?

I find the drivers seat in my TDi GT very supportive although I do not have the electric adjustment version.
Baptised with Aerosmith
SeventySix
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
Options: Tints, cruise, sunroof, Interlagos, badge deletion, DAB & mats.

Ordered 14/4/10, built 26/5/10, collected 18/6/10 @ 1245 :D

Post by SeventySix »

Hello

I owned a 2005 BMW 120 SE, 150 Bhp petrol on the standard (i.e. not M-Sport) suspension with 16" alloys. With it being on run-flats, the ride is extremely niggly - it's a bit of a bone-shaker - and despite that there is far more body roll in the BM than there is in the Scirocco; traction was good though.

Also, 1-series build quality isn't a patch on the Scirocco, plastics in the beamer feel much cheaper and the controls in the 1-series' controls aren't weighted nearly as well.

All in all, I think you'll be extremely impressed with the Scirocco over the BMW.

bleedsoff
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Sumatra
Options: Truffle Leather, Parking Sensors, Electric Folding Mirrors, DAB and Flat Tyre Indicator!:)

Post by bleedsoff »

When I ordered the Scirocco the BMW 1 Series coupe was on my list of 3 cars. I test drove the 118d hatch in sport trim. Was well impressed by the BMW handling and power delivery of the 2.0 lt. diesel. On paper the engine is better as well. However the inside of the BMW was a bit dull. Much preferred the LCD screen in the Scirocco, and the outside looks of the BMW in coupe and hatch varieties had me on the fence. Also those back seats in the BMW are useless! Plus BMW is slightly more expensive I think but the leathers come in far more options!
Grampa
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Viper Green
Options: Panoramic Sun Roof, Piano Black interior, black 19" wheels

Post by Grampa »

A BMW 125 Coupe was also on my short list, before test drives it was number 3, the Scirocco was number 1 and a Mini Cooper S Works was number 2 - the Mini really surprised on the test drive, much faster than I expected and great fun, so it was a close run thing with the Scirocco, but it would have been the third Mini on our drive so the Scirocco just held on to its place in the end.

The BMW 'salesman' ensured the 125 never got out of the starting gate - requested a test drive last October (aiming for March 1st delivery) and he finally rang to offer a drive at the end of February by which time the Scirocco had long since been ordered.
maisbitt
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Parking Sensors, Smokers Pack (for aesthetics), R gearstick, R pedals, Sliding cup holder cover.

Post by maisbitt »

BMW drivetrain is good - but everything else about the 1 series is a letdown - this is the first BMW built to a price and not a spec, and it feels cheap inside. It's ugly as sin in the hatchback variant (the overly chunky sills are the lowpoint of the coupe and convertible variants too). Those runflats do it no favours - my mate had a 118 petrol and I felt seasick in the back of it -you feel every undampened bump in the road.

BMW have overtaken VAG with Diesel development with single turbo 2.0 diesel up to 185PS and 380Nm well eclipsing the 170 CR 2.0TDI, but my TDI does feel a smidge smoother than the engine in my boss's 520D (which I occasionally drive), and the VAG manual gearbox is better.

ACC has done a lot for ride refinement, and not having run flat tyres helps also. Some people might prefer rear wheel drive (when there's no snow) of the BMW though
2013 - Tornado Red MK7 Golf GTD on order
2011-2013 - Rising Blue 170GT
2009-2011 - Pewter Roc 140GT
2007-2009 - Tornado Red Golf 170TDI GT
2005-2007 - Black Pearl Golf 140TDI GT
2003-2005 - Black Pearl Polo 1.9TDI
Lovepug13

Post by Lovepug13 »

Hi,

Thanks for the varied and detailed responses.

I have had the car since Thursday morning and it is due to be returned Monday. I have found the car to be really good to drive and it has suited my requirements, the problem is that the BMW fleet demos are quite specced up and as such when I priced this car up it was like 25k. The base 118D M-Sport was a little too stingy for my liking.

Great to drive though, I had a 2007 Mini Cooper S JCW when they first come out and the little 1 series feels as agile and just as enjoyable to drive.

Based upon what you guys say the Scirocco offers a similar driving experience....I just cant wait to get the thing now. Back to Mazda 6 rental car Monday though.....most depressing :-(