Have I peaked too early?

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
coldel
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box

Have I peaked too early?

Post by coldel »

400 miles in on my roc and on the way to the inlaws in Worthing, exiting a roundabout and got some silly Renault racer boy tailing me...so just left it in second and floored it out of the roundabout exit up the dual carriageway...it was bloody awesome - acceleration was smooth and sweet.

BUT

Have I run it in enough to start doing this!
denmade
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI

Re: Have I peaked too early?

Post by denmade »

Owners manual says keep to 4k revs until 1000km covered (621 miles roughly speaking)

Having chatted to other 'Roc owners - VW rag the granny out of it at the factory (7k revs) on the rolling road at the end of the production line anyway

Got my 'Roc 31st march done 724 miles in 3 driving days - think that'll do for the run-in :yes: :D

Also under warranty for 3yrs so as i've hear said many times alreay - "drive it like you stole it" ha ha ha :lol:
RW1
Legend
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Not only done at the Scirocco assembly plant but I've watched engines being made in Saltzgitter - VW engine plant in Germany. The engines get a good whack there too before packing & shipment.

Running-in is about the whole car in the first 600 miles, not just the engine.

There are different schools of thought about running in, thrash it or gradually build up over the first 600 miles or so. You've "exercised" the engine which will do no real harm if a few short bursts happen to happen. I didn't start using full throttle until 800 miles on a regular basis. But by accident :devil: I happened to red line it a couple of times before 600 miles.

At 3,000 miles mine's still loosening up and bedding in.
MPG has gone from:

36 mpg at 450 miles,
38 mpg at 940 miles,
39 mpg at 2,075 miles,
40 mpg at 2,800 miles,
43 mpg at 3,125 miles

as guide as to how mine is bedding-in for similar driving runs at 70mph on the cruise control.
This what I expected from experience of running-in new engines previously. The longest one I've had, has taken 25,000 miles to steady.

The engine bedding in was most noticeable between 12 miles and 250 miles. Initial there was no engine braking, by 250 miles, it was quite noticeable.

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
coldel

Post by coldel »

Great stuff RW1, will bear that in mind. I have been running at under 3k revs since I got it...when I gave it the old lead foot it didnt red line, but it went up around 5.5k. Cant wait to put it through its paces properly.