Power Upgrades

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Samc123
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: Forge intake, Cat-back

Power Upgrades

Post by Samc123 »

Ive got a 1.4tsi 160 scirocco, and want a bit more power out of it, already got a forge intake, Cat back and a remap, does the forge intercooler make a big difference as there £700 and can't find any cheaper, Also is it possible to drop the 2.0tsi engine or do you have to change control units looms etc ? Thanks
Phil
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Night Blue
With a: DSG box
Options: Recaro Seats, 19" VW Savannah Wheels, KW DDC Coilovers,R8 Coil Packs, Revo High Flow Intake, Milltek 3.00" Turbo-Back & Hi-Flow Sports Cat, GFB DV+, Rtech PCV Delete, Rtech Stage 2,Remap & Linear Throttle, Rtech Custom DSG Remap, PolarFIS Advanced, Forge Twintercooler

Re: Power Upgrades

Post by Phil »

Not sure for 1.4 tsi, but looked last week on the forge website at the 2.0 and it was 400.

Doubt it will give much power difference however
Phil
blower
In: Reflex Silver

Post by blower »

A bigger intercooler will primarily let you keep the power on during the summer months - it will offer your a few more HP in general but not much.

Unfortunately the next step up from where you are is stage 2, nothing else can be done without doing whats necessary for a stage 2 which gets expensive:

-Sports cat / decat down pipe
-Bigger intercooler (Audi S3/Golf R is a drop in and its what i have done)

Doing the above will also allow you to install a forge wastegate, which will give you a noticeable performance boost by allowing you to hold a much higher boost pressure in the upper RPM's
You would be looking around 250bhp with the above and forge wastegate.

I only recommend going stage 2 on post 2012 CAVD engines as the pre 2012 engines used mahle pistons which are made out of chocolate. Post 2012 they switched to KS which are far better.

To drop in a 2.0 TSI engine will require the entire engine and all ancillaries with full wiring loom, the engine ECU, engine mounts, and probably gearbox (i believe the bell housing is different)
rpsmith79
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI

Post by rpsmith79 »

blower wrote:To drop in a 2.0 TSI engine will require the entire engine and all ancillaries with full wiring loom, the engine ECU, engine mounts, and probably gearbox (i believe the bell housing is different)
Probably cheaper to trade the 160 in against a 2.0 TSI GT
Samc123

Post by Samc123 »

Thanks for the advice, wouldn't get insured on a 2.0 tai so would make more sense to swap but its a lot of work, its a 2009 CAVD so yeah not the best engine, is the golf R / S3 Intercooler a straight swap with no modification ?
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

Samc123 wrote:Thanks for the advice, wouldn't get insured on a 2.0 tai so would make more sense to swap but its a lot of work, its a 2009 CAVD so yeah not the best engine, is the golf R / S3 Intercooler a straight swap with no modification ?
If you swapped the engine to a 2.0TSI you would have to declare it to the insurance and as a modification the risk would be even higher from their perspective
blower

Post by blower »

Samc123 wrote:Thanks for the advice, wouldn't get insured on a 2.0 tai so would make more sense to swap but its a lot of work, its a 2009 CAVD so yeah not the best engine, is the golf R / S3 Intercooler a straight swap with no modification ?
Pretty much - only thing you need to do is chop off the crappy metal latching ends (or boost leakers as i like to call them) on your existing charge hoses, like 'last humans garage' did here: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by blower on Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blower

Post by blower »

Cuprabob wrote: If you swapped the engine to a 2.0TSI you would have to declare it to the insurance and as a modification the risk would be even higher from their perspective
Probably a mute point as i doubt he has reported the intake, catback and stage 1 remap to his insurer ;)
rpsmith79

Post by rpsmith79 »

blower wrote:
Cuprabob wrote: If you swapped the engine to a 2.0TSI you would have to declare it to the insurance and as a modification the risk would be even higher from their perspective
Probably a mute point as i doubt he has reported the intake, catback and stage 1 remap to his insurer ;)
Was just thinking the exact same, a standard 2.0 TSI would be cheaper to insure than a modified 160 TSi (all mods declared)

Lets all have a slow hand clap for the OP :clap: :grumpy:
Samc123

Post by Samc123 »

:D done myself there, does changing the coils make much of a difference seen a few people have put the "R8" ones on is it worth it, and ill look into the the intercooler as it looks a lot cheaper than the forge one :yes: , thanks
rpsmith79

Post by rpsmith79 »

Samc123 wrote::D done myself there, does changing the coils make much of a difference seen a few people have put the "R8" ones on is it worth it, and ill look into the the intercooler as it looks a lot cheaper than the forge one :yes: , thanks
Lets hope you never have an accident then :fall:

As for the coils, other than they are Red not Black, no, R8 coils make fuck all difference, it's still just a coil pack
tSeL
In: Deep Black
Options: Etuners stage 1 100 RON ,custom exhaust , s3 intercooler , custom intake, tmg bov

Post by tSeL »

I m using s3 8p' intercooler and its easy to install.Total cost was like 350€.You could also buy a front mount cooler and get the same results at the same cost.Intercooler itself gives no hp but it allows your tuner to increase the pressure on the engine since your intake air is now colder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Samc123

Post by Samc123 »

Going to try and source a S3 intercooler, is anyone running a decat thinking of that then Revo stage 2 map :yes:
Last edited by Samc123 on Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rpsmith79

Post by rpsmith79 »

Samc123 wrote:Going to try and source a S3 intercooler, is anyone running a decat thinking of that then Devi stage 2 map :yes:
I'd save your money and out it towards insuring it properly ;)